12bar album

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
12bar
Site Admin

12bar album

Post by 12bar »

As mentioned before holiday, I have the idea of putting a 12bar album together. :dance:

I thought of 12 Blues songs, single artists and collaborations as well, from beginners to semi-pros.
All songs should be completely free of 3rd party copyrights, including any backing tracks used.
Copyright stays with the author (if we finally get rich and famous :lol: all players will get their pays).

Release date somewhere around the end of this year (although 2012 would fit better).
The album should be downloadable to burn a CD, including cover art and inlet, and released on other platforms like soundclick as well.

Ideas - contributions welcome! :banana:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: 12bar album

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh sounds good to me :0

How about the collab between VikingBlues and me - The old man and the sea
Maybe - just to keep remembering - a piece of Mac's work ?

If you need any song of me, why don't ask the community for a vote :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Great idea!

I'd be happy to contribute something, either one I've already uploaded or something new.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Great idea! I would love to submit material for consideration... Solo or collab... :chicken:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

That sounds great! You should use MAC and My version of "Ramblin' On My Mind" Keep the soul of him alive!
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

Sounds like fun. I would love to do a delta type thing for it.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:oldie: Great idea 12Bar if you think that this Grey oldtimer play in that league, :think: you can count me in, Let me know if you want something already posted, ore something new :music2:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

This is a great idea 12 bar - but judging from the number of responses already maybe you'll need 12 albums of 12 tracks!! :big_smile:

I wouldn't tend to volunteer to put up a new piece as I know the pressure of knowing what it was for would be damaging to my playing and performance. This is why I struggle on collabs. If I was to point to any previous uploads to the site I would think the "best" are "Trying for Less" (which probably has a difficulty with copyright re the ZZ Top BT), and "The Dead Bird" which is the best attempt I've had to capture what is "me" when playing music. The Dead Bird has as a BT a teaching track from David Wallimann, one of the guitar teachers at JamPlay - I did ask him to let me know if there was a problem for him with me using his tracks and he hasn't told me there is - if it came to it I could try and get a definitive reply from him.

As far as HBLs mention of the Old Man of the Sea I'm not against the idea of it being considered for inclusion as it's probably the most "creative" thing I've been involved with here. But if this is used I think we would need to discount an individual track of mine too as there are only 12 slots and it would be unfair to expect to get 1 1/2 to myself. 1 of 12 seems a lot to me as well! :icon_whoknows:

Anyone think this might get complicated. :yikes:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

ElMano wrote: :oldie: Great idea 12Bar if you think that this Grey oldtimer play in that league, :think:
I think more than 50% of us have some grey hair... :oldie: :peace:

Once again, there's no league (otherwise I couldn't contribute either :big_smile: ), the only thing we have to look for is the copyright thing. Ramblin' on my mind is public domain in Germany, but not in the USA (weird, yes). The best thing is to use own compositions or traditionals like St. James Infirmary.
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

Nice idea. :thumbsup:
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

The first song that I would recommend for the album would be Jim's Double Trouble and Mad.
A.) Its one of my favorite songs
and B.) Jim played it with some of the greatest amount of emotion I've ever heard.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:think: I looked back at the old forum Blues Room - I'd forgotten how many pieces there are there and so much good playing, and most of it from well before I was on the forum at all, so I don't know what's there. So I'll leave it to old hands for recommendations on that.

Of recent pieces how about Blindboy "Blowing off a Bit of Steam", and HalfBlindLefty's "After Holiday Jam". Both great recordings, but two of so, so many. :clap:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

It sounds like a pretty good idea ! :clap:
I don't have too many pieces to propose right now but I look forward to work on one or a collab for this project.
I guess we already have more than 12 songs :lol:
Jan 15th 2007
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

This sounds like fun, I'm in .... :cool:

Something old or something new ? :think:

The collaboration idea is a good
one because more players will
get a chance 2 B heard :wink:

It should be a mix of both I feel,
that way you maximize the
number of players involved and
and thus the amount of exposure :big_smile:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Bluez2move wrote:The collaboration idea is a good
one because more players will
get a chance 2 B heard :wink:
Sounds a very sensible solution to me. :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:yikes:
I didn't expect such a big response - great! :banana:

Now we have to sort the thing a bit. I'll open a temporary subforum where everyone who wants to contribute (single or collab) can open a thread and upload when finished (once again, there's a lot of time :oldie: ). Subject should be song title and type (single or collab).

If we get more than 12 songs (looks like!) why not a Vol. 2 (3,4,...)?
Even in mp3 days, an album format (downloadable as iso image to burn a CD or a set of 12 mp3's) would be nice.

If you have a song you would like to submit, please check the copyrights before!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

The 12bar.de Cd collection :welcome: ( No limited Box )??? What else do a man want for Christmas :bb:
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

^No problem Dana....You doing the fast runs and I contrasted that with the opposite.

Btw, your second half with the vibrato bar and effects reminded me of Jeff Beck.
willwelsh816

Post by willwelsh816 »

Hey, I play sax as well as guitar, I'd like to do a nice jumpy one in D with someone, I'll do some funky sax stuff, the other person(s) can solo, and I would like a nice little guitar solo.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

@ Willwelsh816:
Oke i jump in How about this one.

download/file.php?id=508
Attachments

Funky Sax-Guitar collab
The funk-junk Blues in D.mp3 - (6 MiB)