Hi

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
sunrise

Hi

Post by sunrise »

I`m glad I found this place. My name is Stefanie and I`m just starting out with playing the electric guitar. And because I couldn`t find a teacher I`ll have to teach myself how to play. I hope this isn`t a too difficult task for me. I have come here because I want to learn the basics of all popular music first. Last week I bought my first electric guitar at a mom and pop music shop that unfortunately will be closing down this month. I got my guitar at 389€, which was to 30% the price it once had. And because the only practice amps they still had there were making noises and sounded awful I got a used Marshall 9001 rack preamp that they had there as my first practice amp. I have connected it to the computer so I can play along with Youtube videos or backing tracks and am also able to record my playing using Audacity. I`m using headphones when practicing so I don`t disturb people with my horrible newbiesound. I`m still struggeling with the controls on this Marshall preamp, they are very complicated to me. At the moment I`m practicing my first few blueslicks with a scooped heavy metal sound :wall: and I don`t know how to tame the thing. I`m still on the tone quest for this legendary softer Marshall crunch. I hope to have a good time here and to learn more about blues.

Greetings,
Stefanie
Music isn't just learning notes and playing them, You learn notes to play to the music of your soul.
-Katie Greenwood
MichaelRobinson

Re: Hi

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I soupose you is new to this forum so........ :welcome:

At night when I cant sleep I play with headfones to. Very good ones. The problem is I hear everything, right and wrongs.

If you go to Marshals hompage or google om the manual for youre amp you mait find one. It's worth a try.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hi Stefanie :welcome: to 12bar, the friendliest home for musicians all over the world. :wave:

I'm glad Michael jumped in and helped you out :beer:
There are a lot of amps out there, even Marshall amps for metalheads :wink: But most of them can be tamed and sound sweet.
Hint : try to give model name and number when asking specific questions about amps and other electronic stuff. That would help us to answer your questions much better, or tell you we don't know :think:

What kind of guitar did you get ? A picture of it would be nice.

Welcome agian

/HBL (Hans)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

I got a Fender Telecaster with a partly worn down finish and rusted parts. It looks horrible but it plays sweet. Played acoustically it is loud, crisp and clear and through my amp the thing just screams delightful. I have Fender pure nickel wounds on it that bring out the classic Tele tone beautifully.
Music isn't just learning notes and playing them, You learn notes to play to the music of your soul.
-Katie Greenwood
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

:welcome:
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum Stefanie. :D

... and welcome to the search for the right tones and sounds. Don't worry - you'll get used to it - some of us have been playing for more years than we care to remember and we're still chasing that elusive sound that we want to hear. :wall: Having said that we also enjoy the quest .... and enjoy buying all the new gear that might get us there. :dance:

There's lot of advice to be found here that should help you getting to grips with blues, and we really are a friendly bunch - so any questions ... feel free to ask away.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Hola Stefanie, big welcome from Spain. Got a tele eh!?! Not a lot of those in this place. I've always wanted one to add to my collection but my 40-year-old home-made has at least got a tele ashtray and bridge pickup!! Looking forward later to hearing what your tele does. Have fun, lovely people here!!!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
LittleLemonJohnson21

Post by LittleLemonJohnson21 »

:welcome: to 12bar.
Little Lemon Johnson
"Everybody get the blues. Even babies get the blues"
quote from Andre 3000
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: at 12bar!
(Just back from holidays)

Great gear for a beginner - good choice!