NewB

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
oldskoolchop

NewB

Post by oldskoolchop »

Hello, I am 35 have played guitar since I was 15, mostly metal. About 3 months ago I started learning a little jazz and have been slowly leaning towards blues instead. I like the guitar focus, feel, and rhythm in blues, but still like the all instrumental forms of jazz. Anyway my influences come from metal, jazz, and blues, why not learn a little of them all? Guitarist in heavy rotation at the moment are BB, Mary Halvorson, and Derek Trucks (mainly Tedeschi Trucks Band). I have an Ibanez artcore semi, a Jackson Randy Rhodes, a nylon string Ibanez, a Dean ML (that I am considering setting up strictly for slide, for I have just now discovered Derek Trucks and have been blown away), and I have a Fender Prophecy III and a Tama set when I need to record some backing tracks to play with. Music moves me, seduces me, and at times consumes me, and has for all my life. When I am not playing guitar I love to mess with and ride motorcycles, I have a self built 60's era chopper at the moment, but that is another forum.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: NewB

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:welcome: Here :wave:

Should give a interesting endresult, Blues with metal influences :bb:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to 12bar.

Good to find the blues keeps finding new converts. You'll get a wide range of tones from your collection - which I suppose is just as well with your wide range of interests.

Slide's well worth having a go at - it seems much easier to get an apparently authentic blues sound from a piece of glass than the ends of the fretting fingers - weird.

And always pleased to hear how other people are consumed by their music too - nice to know I'm not alone.

As for motorcycles there's a few guys here share you're as the thread linked below shows.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1036
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
oldskoolchop

Post by oldskoolchop »

HalfBlindLefty wrote: :welcome: Here :wave:

Should give a interesting endresult, Blues with metal influences :bb:
I think alot of metal is influenced by blues, on of my favorite guitarist mark morton (lamb of god) says he does not even listen to metal only blues
oldskoolchop

Post by oldskoolchop »

VikingBlues wrote::welcome: to 12bar.

As for motorcycles there's a few guys here share you're as the thread linked below shows.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1036
yeh thanks for that i checked it out and posted a pic of mine, i am glad i would never have to pick just 1 hobby (bikes or guitars), one year i am going to make it back to memphis for the biker, blues and bar-b-que (although there should be another b for beer), how could you go wrong?
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Welcome from Texas, Howdy ya'll
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:welcome: from NM...
This is a great guitar community, you should like it here.
I, too ride... though I dig classic cafe bikes rather than choppers. It's all good. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

We have been having a few Jazz excursions here lately... Tytlblues is a pretty killer jazzer.
By the way, where ya from? (Just curious... folks on here are from all over.)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: youngster! :lol:

With BB (we have a good one here, too :wink: ) and Derek you can't go wrong. And Blues with jazz and heavy metal influence sounds interesting!
oldskoolchop

Post by oldskoolchop »

I am from andrews texas, west texas. And if you like both metal and jazz check out trevor dunn trio convulsant.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Texas players seem to take over the board... :think:

:lol:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

:welcome:
To a cool place!