Interference?

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
LeftyBlues

Interference?

Post by LeftyBlues »

While I was dialing in some new tones on my POD Farm, my guitar picked up some odd interference. When I dialed in my tone knobs to almost completely at 0, and messed the onscreen amp interface, I could pick up radio. Lucky for me, it was some nice Jazz and not Radio Disney XD. Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Interference?

Post by 12bar »

Nothing strange, the pickups can take up an AM (no FM) radio signal...
wildwood

Post by wildwood »

I pick up police radio calls every now and then...
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
Pena

Post by Pena »

Wow, no wonder that sometimes I feel strumming like God :music2: , but bloody hell it comes from the radiowaves :big_smile:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

I heard the radio station, it's a smooth jazz station my dad enjoys. I know for sure it is FM.
jimmypagezoso94

Post by jimmypagezoso94 »

I know for me if i put my wah pedal in the right spot and kick it on it will pick up radio.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Actually it's a bit more complicated, it's not only the guitar pickup. Every piece of metal (the guitar cable, too) can work as an antenna and collect the signal. You just need to demodulate it, which is pretty easy for amplitude modulation. The circuits in your amp may by chance work as a demodulator, so can pedals, effects etc.
I've never heard of receiving FM stations through an amp, because it's much harder to decompile. Maybe the station also has an AM sender. Maybe your circuits allow FM demodulation...
I'm sure HBL knows more about. I'm a Chemist... :whistle: