Well I woke up this morning, i joined a forum

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
rocknroll93

Well I woke up this morning, i joined a forum

Post by rocknroll93 »

♪ well I woke up this morning, I joined a forum
I said I woke up this morning and joined a forum
well babe, you and I both know 12bar.de is the place to be ♪

Hey guys. Ill start by telling you guys a little about myself.
im 17 years old, 18 in january. I live in melbourne Australia.
You "older" guys may say that I can't play or sing the blues becuase I aint got no hard times, but trust me, I do.
I have been playing for near on 3 years now, and I own 6 guitars.
They Are:
Michael Kelly JZ Pheonix
A stratocopy (love it though, nicknamed the frankenstrat)
A "Freedom" SG
A Samic Les Paul
An Ibanez Aw series Electric Acoustic
and a stella nylon string.

I love the blues, I started with Stevie Ray Vaughan and quickly became obsessed. some of my favourite bands/players are: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, John Lee Hooker, Ry Cooder, George Thorogood, Freddie King, BB king, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Bonamassa and Chuck Berry. there are plent more, but im not going to bore you with irellevant details. If any of you guys have Facebook you can find me at http://www.facebook.com/johnbaconblues
or do a search for "John Bacon Blues" and like the page. ok, any questions? yes you up the back.. yes.. you, no, not you, yes you. oh, you just wanted to know where the toilets were? uh, just down the hall to your left....

PS: I also love the :bb:
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Well I woke up this morning, i joined a forum

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: first!
rocknroll93 wrote:You "older" guys may say that I can't play or sing the blues becuase I aint got no hard times
We don't say this, although most of us (but not all) are "a bit older" :big_smile: .

There's a simple test to check this old "you can only play the Blues if you're a) black b) old c) had trouble d) ..." prejudice:
Listen only to the music, with no information about who's playing. If it's good, it's good, no matter who is playing.
You can even play the Blues on an Ibanez guitar...

Nice axes, btw. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum.

Though I'm one of the ones here that are getting a bit long in the tooth, as far as being young and the blues goes I'll just say I'm envious that you have the sense and musical taste at a young age to appreciate the blues and that fine list of players you mentioned. Some of us were very slow on the uptake and have wasted a lot of years before discovering our passion for things bluesy.

Ahhh - another Frankenstrat Blindboy. :big_smile:

Good guitar collection ... enjoy your stay here at 12bar. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm about your age, (I just turned 18 actually) and my guitar teacher got me into playing the blues. I haven't have had the hard times the old blues masters did, b ut I can still play the blues, and I have no doubt that you can too.

Looking forward to hearing your playing,
StratLover2
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi there matey ....Welcome to 12 bar :wave:

love the song entrance :thumbsup:
That;s a fair list of gear you have there .....good to see that GAS is alive and well in Australia !!

Have fun :big_smile:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:welcome: R&R93... don't worry about your age, it's all relative anyway. I'm much older and have only been playing for a little over a year so, you got me there. Great list of gear you've got. Hang around here, it's a great place to learn.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

thank you all for the kind replies, I was just saying the being young and playing the blues part as a bit of a joke, i have had people tell me that im young and white, I cant play it, but i dont care. ill play what I damn want when I want. for those wanting to see my guitars, well ill upload pictures later, and for those wanting to hear me play if you go to the facebook link I put up there are videos there. (ok, so they aren't public domain songs, but im not uploading them here)
also on a side note, who can recomend me an amp (tube please, large enough for gigs) for blues?
once again, thanks for the warm welcome.
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

rocknroll93 wrote: also on a side note, who can recomend me an amp (tube please, large enough for gigs) for blues?
Everyone... :big_smile:
Seriously - try the forum search, we've had many :amp: discussions here. The Fender Blues Jr. comes to mind.
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

thank you Mr.12bar :) its good to see a community where the site admin gets involved everywhere :D

I did also forget to add a guitar to the list.. one i built myself out of a bit of fence, its got a massive bend in it, it involve a pezio pickup, nails, fence, a beer bottle and 3 strings.

EDIT, massive image, will upload to Photobucket and IMG link here :D
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

well here is the slide guitar I made, and sorry for the double post.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:welcome: I start playing the blues at the age of 15 and i know that a lot of Grey old blues man did start even younger (BB at 12, and so on) It is a ferry tale tho think that only age can make you play the blues right. It is not your age but your bad memories that makes you play the blues whit a feel. ( and a lot of practice i can assure you :peace: :think: ) The second lesson i never forgot Is that it is not the number of notes you play but that one right note that people thatch inthere hart that make a schedule of 12 notes a blues!
I love your Diddly Bow / Guitar.( it has 3 strings so you can make a chord = guitar, les than 3 strings it is a Diddley Bow )
Attachments
100_5223m.JPG
100_5223m.JPG (27.99 KiB) Viewed 18551 times
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

.. love the cigar box.. I really want one, along with a resonator. did you make the cigar box? If i got one though it would be setup for slide, and only 4 strings.

still awesome though! and what is that I see in the background on the guitar stand? (to the right of the cigar box, brown and what also looks like pine or maple)?
EDIT: I think it may be a lapsteel?
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

No that is not a lapsteel but another CBG in progress I build them myself This time i make the neck to. The neck is rosewood The fretboard is maple ( this stuff is recycled material. Even the tuning screws are from an old beet up cheapo spanish Guitar. I am now working on a lapsteel Like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-3aoQe ... re=related
Attachments
100_5224m.JPG
100_5224m.JPG (23.13 KiB) Viewed 18546 times
100_5217m.JPG
100_5217m.JPG (18.65 KiB) Viewed 18546 times
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

cool.. on average, how long would one take to build?
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

This site is showing a nice collection CBG's That in spired me at first. http://reddogguitars.com/
There are a lot of sites where they show how to build your one. How long it takes depend s on your skills and your tools, and by far how smart you are to solved the problems you meet while building. :icon_whoknows: :motz: :wall: :eye_rub: Advice :oldie: keep it simple when you build your first. :banana:
This is a a site where you can find some plans but Google is your friend: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/

http://cigarboxguitars.com/resources/ho ... box-guitar

Did you know Ben Prestige ore Seasick Steve?? Look at them on You Tube and enjoy it
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

sweet, thanks for that info there.. yeah ive listened to seasick steve, still gotta buy some of his music though..
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

All you guys out there that think you have to be old to play the blues.....check out this 15 year old. I can only wish I had this kind of talent.

XdGqGoYh3Ds
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

LzyBlue wrote:I can only wish I had this kind of talent.
Me too - and the thought of how far a huge talent like that might progress even more over the years! .... WOW!!!! :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:dance: :thumbsup: But even 15 is old :oldie: when you look at this. :alright:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4TNJvVk8M
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

i just have a couple of issues with the 8 year old. I doubt he would actually be able to feel blue about anything of importance, yeah sure he can play the notes, but can he feel them? I mean give him 10 years he will be great... also, i wanna get up on stage and play with buddy guy.

:(