Over Three Months

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Over Three Months

Post by VikingBlues »

Over three months since I posted any music here. A once regular routine has rather tailed off.
Also aware of how little I've been posting generally.

So just to say ... I'm still playing ... well, sort of playing. All my intended projects have stalled but not to worry.
So here's a few recent bits and pieces.

A pretty basic and not too well played acoustic blues in DADGAD tuning - based on a Rob MacKillop arrangement.
:music1:

Empty Bed Blues.mp3 - (1.77 MiB)

Then an improvised three part piece.
1st track - bass part on a uke bass - playing notes in the scale E Natural Minor. Trying not to play typical bass runs of think about chord progressions.
2nd track - acoustic guitar - 3 or 4 note chords or arpeggios in the same scale - avoiding what chords I knew. Trying to fit in with track 1 and repeating when good.
3rd track - acoustic guitar - lead / melodic line part - notes in the same scale - trying to weave it around what tracks 1 and 2 produced.
The thing I like about this method is I have no idea what the end result is going to sound like till I get there.
:music1: My apologies Gerd, if the recording title is incorrect. Google translate is not always right!

Finally a Jimmy MacCarthy song, "Missing You" - guitar and vocal live onto the Zoom recorder then an additional guitar part doing colour and a few fills.
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/mgv5xrsppwy7oxu2ua3me4zo6qul4au0
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Over Three Months

Post by 12bar »

Thanks VB for posting and keeping it alive here!

Your first song (very well played!) fits my current mood exactly. Currently down due to my vertigo but still knowing better days will come (like before). Impressive how you get that tone captured, crystal clear. :pray:

The second one is very special and the bass line fits perfect (although recorded first).
Another gem even with the cryptic title by google :lol: ! :clap:

The third one is easily as good as the original, your voice makes good progress and is made for this sort of folk music. :thumbsup:

There's still some work on the forum software, the download counter doesn't work like before and I'll try to get the recent topics option working again. And to upload something...
fenson

Post by fenson »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Really appreciate the tow!
Not to forgat to point out your Impressive recording technic :clap:
Later,

IF
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you for listening and commenting so favourably gentlemen! :D

I find acoustic blues rather tricky to do to a level that's better than embarrassing. As I just can't seem to get into playing electric any more it means blues has taken a back seat. I will just keep nibbling away at it and hope an occasional acceptable version happens.

The first piece was just recorded onto the Zoom H4n portable recorder using the Zoom's own mics, Gerd. I'm very impressed with how good a job the recorder can manage. Here's wishing that those better days to come for you soon on the vertigo.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: :clap:
I really like the Empty Bed Blues. I have enough trouble playing well in standard tuning that I don't even try alternates (aside from slide). This reminded me of something Mississippi John Hurt might do. I thought that the Google titled piece sounded very cool. What a fun approach to improv. My poor internet wouldn't let me listen to the third one. :sad:
I too, have been playing, but mostly on Monday nights with the band. Miriam and I got a small travel trailer (caravan) and have been traveling and camping around the west and northwest of the US quite a bit lately and I bring an acoustic, so I do a bit of campfire picking. Still have no DAW or means of recording.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the listen and comments Blindboy - I appreciate you taking the time and value your opinions.
Especially when you like what I do! :wink:

Shame that recording is off limits for you.

I did enjoy putting that triple improv recording together - you're right, it is a fun approach. :thumbsup: