Wow Windows 10

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Wow Windows 10

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today I got the message that Windows 10 was downloaded and ready to install.
I decided to let M$ have it's way with one of my systems. ( and keep my all important laptop out of any danger zone)

Oh, I did not allow microsoft to choose my standard apps and settings.... :motz: And most certainly did not allow sharing of my personal data and Wifi passwords :naughty: :haha: (idiots)

Well, I didn't follow the process and when I came up after some work around the house and garden ( painting, fountain changes)
Windows was waiting for me.
After logging in I found out that even my DAW was functioning. Did a quick recording and all was fine.

If I bump in to things I'll post them here. :D
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
vancouverois

Re: Wow Widows 10

Post by vancouverois »

I don't like (can't stand) Win8 & 8.1 so I stick with 7.
If 10 has the same bad look and feel as 8 for me it's going to be worthless.
I don't want to have a laptop looking like a smartphone, no way!

So when I change my PC I won't have another option than to buy an overpriced Apple.
Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Re: Wow Widows 10

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I installed Windows 10 as is. I don't have any important on my laptop, in any way.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Wow Windows 10

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Chris, Win10 can have quite a simular look and feel as Win7. I use the win 7 kinda look and feel.
Of course some things have changed, but until now it didn't anoy me :)
Below a example of how the (my) desktop looks right now.
Win 10 screen.jpg
Win 10 screen.jpg (220.87 KiB) Viewed 18162 times
Michael,

The "I have nothing special on my system" is a common mistake.
Allowing M$ to send amongst others, usage information, Wifi passwords and web history to their servers, could become a privacy problem very easily.
Just think of the modern way of doing your banking stuff, or health care related stuff......

There may not be anything special right now, your future donings are what interrests them very much.
the we are doing this to show you advertisements based on what we think what interrests you....... mhhh NO THANKS :thumbsdown:
Of course it is everybodies own decision, just make sure you know abd understand what you are revealing to The big data companies. :D
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm not brave enough to update. :shy:

Not just the risks of things going wrong - but I can't be bothered with wrestling with yet another new system unless I absolutely have to.

So I'm stuck with Win7 - which is fine - way better than Vista (ghastly times with that :motz: ).

Not so keen on the way I believe Win10 has mandatory updates for everything including non essential, non security items. Like overwriting NVidia drivers and messing up the software so that multi screen users can't use their PC at all.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I understand VB. I'm using two screens and don't have had any issues with them or the drives yet.
I won't give up hope though.

I did/do have a bare metal backup made with redobackup, so I'm quite save. Besides, My main system (laptop) is still running Windows 7
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm writing this on my netbook, far away from home, running mint linux. I didn't boot windows for weeks now. Linux is way faster but unfortunately I can't use it on my home PC - too many programs missing.
- back to holidays -
fenson

Post by fenson »

Never ran any Windoze on any of my computers!
Always used Apple from 1979 'till 1998...
Then I've always installed Linux everywhere even on my old Mac! :cool:
I'm still having 2 Macs and they both boot on Linux only for years!

@12bar:"Linux is way faster but unfortunately I can't use it on my home PC - too many programs missing."
I'm curious... What Windows offers that Mac or Linux don't? At least for making music? :D

IF
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Video editing, home banking, several scientific programs to name a few.
I love portable programs I can transfer from one PC to another, no install, no registry trouble. :snacks:
But I'll give win10 a try when I'm back home.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I happen to use Linux to, for forensics , vulnerability tests etc. It is on a a spare harddrive I have happen to have for my Laptop :)

btw, Win 10 and the Citrix web receiver have a couple of small glitches when using that new browser thingie MS edge.. Haha I found something amiss :high5: :haha:

Oh, I use M$ since I need it for my work, just like OS400 I5os, Vmware, Linux, BSD, Citrix etc. :yikes: and yes I to am a (former) MCSE :fingerscrossed:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, I did it.
And IT WORKS! :chicken:
Even the line6 software works without any modification!!! :eye_rub:

Yes: my toneport GX with Gearbox/Pod Farm is running fine under Windows 10! :dance:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

12bar wrote:OK, I did it.

Yes: my toneport GX with Gearbox/Pod Farm is running fine under Windows 10! :dance:
Great! Did it fix this volume problem you experienced ?
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

vancouverois wrote:Great! Did it fix this volume problem you experienced ?
No. BUT I haven't updated any driver for a while now. :whistle:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Update:
- it worked out of the box only when playing guitar with pod farm etc., not as soundcard for mp3 etc.
- I updated the driver, now it works like in Win 7
- volume behavior is like in Win 7, that means you can't control the guitar volume through windows
In short: works, like with Win 7.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

The fact that it's not made things worse is a success story! :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Yes, until I wanted to print a page. My laser printer is no more supported. :cry:
I'll try some workarounds from the 'net.
Everything else is working. What I noticed is that the old (but better) gearbox is eating much more CPU power the the pod farm. However, I didn't check this in my old system. 20 - 30 % vs. 3 - 5 % is significant I think.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:OK, I did it.

Great Gerd.

I did find some little glitches, but no major things yet.
Guess M$ didn't like the fact that I banned the bingsearch process from accessing the Internet all together :naughty: ( Using Bitdefender ) so after an update, all my Internet acces was gone till I removed the block from bitdefender.
Now I'll have to monitor that process and fetch all ip addresses it accesses so I can block those using my router. :whistle:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Yes. My Line6 Gear works fine too under Windows 10. Reaper too. I should really pay the guys who made this DAW. Shame on me.

O yes. Some talk about Linux. I have used Linux for years and years. believe it or not, the hard drive has crashed. I have held high the banner of Linux for the alleged reliability and the small presence of viruses and other crap.
My Linux station is in great need of a complete renovation in terms of software. I suspect that I have to completely erase the hard drive, before I can make any reinstallation.
I have also noticed that I can let myself more with Windows but lacks thing to have full insight into what is going on. I miss the open source community.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Guess M$ didn't like the fact that I banned the bingsearch process from accessing the Internet all together :naughty: ( Using Bitdefender ) so after an update, all my Internet acces was gone till I removed the block from bitdefender.
Now I'll have to monitor that process and fetch all ip addresses it accesses so I can block those using my router. :whistle:
The dreaded updates issue. :wall:
On the plus side I suppose it wasn't an update that forces you to update hardware - I recall needing to change my network hardware due to an update of Vista a few years back - that did not leave me feeling charitable towards MS. Good that you have the expertise to know what was wrong - if I lost all internet access I wouldn't know where to start looking to sort the problem.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Yesterday I found out Win10 doesn't like the DVD writer I have in my desktop. It doens't like it at all. playing blind it is.
Tried win 8 and 8.1 drivers to no avail.
So if you have a HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM-GH40F, be prepared to be unable to use it.
On the other hand, my laptop has a fingerprint scanner for authentication ( I love that) but Win 10 didn't see it the first two weeks or so.
This morning when I started the laptop, I noticed it recognized the scanner and YES, no more password typing to login for me :)