Moving, moving moving...?

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
12bar
Site Admin

Moving, moving moving...?

Post by 12bar »

Hi folks,

the database software (phpbb 3.0) is outdated and no more compatible with the never version (3.1). It is possible to update manually, which would be some work and leave it mostly as it is. On the other hand, in the same time I could make a break and move to bbpress, which is the forum plugin of the wordpress system my site is running on. I may be possible to import users and posts, but not all the mods I'v made to this forum (smilies, attachments etc., mp3 player).

Right now I'm collecting pros and cons and would like to ask you, the users:
- should we move?
- should I try import the old posts or leave the old forum open for a while?
- what are the "most-wanted" addons for this forum?

pros:
- less vulnerable to hackers
- easier to maintain
- maybe more functions in the future
- cleaning it all up, getting more space

cons:
- maybe a need to register again (you could use your old nick)
- the old posts and uploads will be gone after a while (however you can down- and upload them to the new one)
- maybe less fancy functions

Right now I'm 50:50. What do you think?
MichaelRobinson

Re: Moving, moving moving...?

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I do not know what is best. I think it is good with the features of this system have but can not implement it in the new platform is not much else to do but to date up. I am thinking right here?

Do I understand correctly when I read your text, 12bar, to mp3 files is not possible to upload the new system? Can not load and run mp3 files, I think a lot is lost. Much revolves around what we as users upload mp3 files.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sure you can upload, but I can't import the mp3 from the old system. So everyone has to pick out the ones he likes best and upload them again.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

It is a difficult one!

Rather like keeping stuff in the home, it's very easy to keep hold of so much rubbish because they could be of use sometime.

I think it would be unfair for the forum members to expect you to have to put in a whole load of hard work Gerd, just to keep things mostly as they are.

Not a problem to re-upload the better recordings. Plus if there's time to still access the old posts and save stuff that takes some of the pain away.

Difficult to be entirely clinical about this obviously as a lot of us will have an attachment to the forum as is and the posts and threads on it record elements of our growing into (hopefully) better musicians.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Wow... I do frequently search back and listen to old posts, mine and others. Some of these are preserved only on 12bar. (Some are from members no longer with us.)
As long as we can still upload music and pictures/videos... I don't want to load more work on you than you have already taken on by hosting this great forum. If it works better and makes your job easier, then I say: "Go for it!". I may transfer some posts to the new format... (Maybe a lot of posts...)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1

Upgrading to phpBB 3.1 will render previously installed MODifications and styles unusable.
phpBB 3.1 is not compatible with 3.0 and most of the previous files will need to be removed prior to upgrading to 3.1.
This is what made me thinking of switching the software. I can upgrade to 3.1 and manually add all the mods (a lot!) to get the old environment back. If you're reading older posts regularly this seems to be the best version.
BBPress (the other one) is much more simple but misses many features. Not an easy decision.
MichaelRobinson

12 bar ............
I do not mind my previous threads and mp3 uploads disappears. What I said, I have said and it belongs to history
Also, I have all my bad mp3 files stored here with me.

So for my part, you do not work with moving some threads and other files coming from me.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, I gave it a try. Most things should work as before, but the menu is shortened. The css (styles) are too different. Please report any problems.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

So far so good with what you've done, and no problems yet. :thumbsup:

Hope you're not having to burn the midnight oil and work through the night getting things changed. :fingerscrossed:
MichaelRobinson

Yes. I've just taken a look at the new system and in my eyes it looks promising. No difficulty at all to orient myself in the menus.
What is new is good.............top........ :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Most of the work is done. After experimenting with both bbpress and phpbb I thought it is easier for most members to stay with phpbb and upgrade to the new version. Except for some broken database entries (cleaned up) everything should work, most of it like before. I've deleted all members without any posts.
Let me know if you find unusual behavior (in the forum software :big_smile: ).
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Finally mp3 files should be displayed inline. I changed the code for the quicktime media, which is outdated and not used anymore, to mp3.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good work Gerd. :clap: I hope it didn't cause you too many hours of stress. :fingerscrossed:

Certainly it all seems to be working as it should with what I've looked at and done recently.
MichaelRobinson

Gerd

Good job. Hope you can relax after this.

Michael
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Oh, that explains why things look different. I thought it was the latest iteration of Windoze Internet Exploder on my machine but now I see the changes came from your end of the wire. Whatever you're doing Gerd, thanks and keep up the good work. :clap:

Cheers!
Mike
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

This time not Microsoft :lol:
It's just a new one with more functions.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Gerd,

I happened to move through the backingtrack subforum and listened to some recodings by Chris and VB.
Was/where the MP3(3) or the backing damaged somehow ? I get strange drop out kinda noises on all of the inline tracks ?
Still ussing my trusty laptop and upgraded Internet connection so speed shouldn't be an issue.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh, I have the same affects on other inline tracks to.
I'll check my browser and sound drivers/decoders
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HBL, the files were not re-coded or treated in any way. They should play as before. If you still get the problem, let me know on which songs.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

new uploads with 160 Kb/s encoding work fine. testing others now