Oh Gee Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Oh Gee Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

I've been waiting for someone to produce something from HBLs excellent BIAB BT 'Gee Blues' ... anyone???? :icon_whoknows:

It's a great BT to play along with - i recently paid for a batch of what were described as "professional" standard BTs. This BIAB BT is better than them - sounds like it's played by better musicians - which is a bit mind boggling! :eye_rub:

Anyway - here's VBs attempt at improvs on the HBL BT. I'd be interested to hear some others takes on it.

The first one was done through the Vox Tonelab ST (amp/speaker sim only) with these pedals chained before it -Marshall Compressor, Hardwire CM2 overdive, EHX Nano Reverb. Trying to get the hang of getting a bit of extra sustain via the compressor.
with the ST : download/file.php?id=1657

Thinking the sound slightly "plummy" i redid it - same pedals / guitar (PRS) on basically the same settings but through the Vox Tonelab LE (amp / speaker sim only). Not quite the same notes and the phrasing is different - influenced by the different tone.
with the LE : download/file.php?id=1656
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11447723

I'm interested on any views on the two contrasting tones.
Attachments

Oh Gee Blues - through the Tonelab ST
Oh Gee Blues ST.mp3 - (3.45 MiB)

Oh Gee Blues - through the Tonelab LE
Oh Gee Blues LE.mp3 - (3.43 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Re: Oh Gee Blues

Post by MikeJackal »

It's funny, when I play it seems to come out like Mac era Peter Green, when you play it comes out like Splinter Group era Peter Green, we could make a pretty versatile tribute band between us!
The first one is definitely a PG tone and you seem to play much more comfortably on that one. Perhaps though it was the way you were trying to play something different to the first that can be stumbling, I know I struggle with that.
Both very legitimate recordings so well done, I will have a go at this one tomorrow.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I lied I did one tonight with the old trusty guitar rig 4 setup which I've not used to record since last time I posted anything here!
Don't know who or what I was trying to sound like on this, just played and recorded the first take and saved it.
Recorded with Lilianne (Epi Les Paul that's been "heavily modded", most would say nearly destroyed)
download/file.php?id=1658
Attachments

Jackal Gee Blues.mp3 - (3.6 MiB)

"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

I prefer the "LE version",
it's a more cutting tone
for the blues :D

But the "Plummy" sound
u got on the "ST version"
was sweet also, if it was
placed in the right context :wink:

Good job on both :cool:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Another +1 for the LE sound - much better I think, clearer, and even better playing. :thumbsup:

Mike's version is also fantastic, with a great tone. :clap:

Maybe I should give the BT a try, too. :big_smile:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Mike - I really like your take on this. The Epi may be heavily modded but if it's "destroyed" it has to be said it's not been at the cost of losing any tone - that sounds more like it's been enhanced. As a keen fan of Mac-era Peter Green I find it difficult to imagine not loving the sounds you get and style you use! Add in your skill at note choice and phrasing .... music like this is a good start to the day. :clap: :thumbsup:

Interesting comment about our respective PG type sounds Mike - maybe partly an age thing? I'm certainly nearer the age of PG in the Splinter Group times and you're much nearer the age of the young PG of the Mac times. :icon_whoknows:

Mike, B2M, 12bar - thanks for listening and for the comments. :D

I think the ST version is the sort of general tones of where I'm coming from, and the LE version is the sort of tones I've been heading towards. The LE does generally give a much clearer sound with less colour (one of the reasons I use it more than the ST). My drift to single coils / P90s is probably not a coincidence as they also help to get that clearer sound. The two recordings where seperated by a night unfortunately so there's more differences in note choice etc than if they'd been played one after the other. Note - I did have to turn the treble down slightly on the LE recording but otherwise the guitar controls and pedal controls were unchanged - quite a difference in tone though.
12bar wrote:Maybe I should give the BT a try, too. :big_smile:
I for one, would be very keen to hear what you might do with it. :fingerscrossed: :thumbsup:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

VikingBlues wrote:Mike - I really like your take on this. The Epi may be heavily modded but if it's "destroyed" it has to be said it's not been at the cost of losing any tone - that sounds more like it's been enhanced. As a keen fan of Mac-era Peter Green I find it difficult to imagine not loving the sounds you get and style you use! Add in your skill at note choice and phrasing .... music like this is a good start to the day. :clap: :thumbsup:
Thanks VB, I have toyed with so many mod's lately. Started with a simple pickup change to Tonerider AC4's (That's Alnico 4) and they are FANTASTIC pickups and only £40 each, as good as Gibson '57 classics in my opinion. Then I added 2 switches to make them coil split for an unusual single coil sound. Then I added a phase reversal switch. Then I routed out a hole for a single coil in the middle position and a switch to operate it. Then I toyed with an acoustic pickup in there. Then I sanded down the neck to bare wood and the back of the body and added a contour, I also added a contour where the cut away is to improve access to the upper frets.
After that I was getting frustrated with the sound so I removed the coil split, the phase reversal, the single coil middle and the acoustic pickup so now I am back to basics.
The main things improving my sound are the Tonerider pickups, pots replaced with Alpha 500k and most importantly lately has been the addition of new capacitors, I now have 2 paper in oil .05 capacitors that I stole from a 1940's Tube radio and I don't care what anybody says about the capacitor myth's because they have instantly and drastically improved the sound. Paired with the fact I now use a real amp and not just software anymore.
Interesting comment about our respective PG type sounds Mike - maybe partly an age thing? I'm certainly nearer the age of PG in the Splinter Group times and you're much nearer the age of the young PG of the Mac times. :icon_whoknows:
Yes your probably right, although I may already be older than PG was in The Mac, just hope I don't start hearing voices like he did! lol
jokron

Post by jokron »

OK, here are some takes on Gee Blues...guess I should practice harder... :shy:

/Jokron
Attachments

Gee Blues Jokron Take 2.mp3 - (4.42 MiB)

Gee Blues Jokron Take 1.mp3 - (4.42 MiB)

I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Like those takes Jokron - very fluid and decisive playing, and way more bluesy that mine - good guitar tones. :clap:

Both versions sound good. The take 1 has a more laid back feel to it - whether this is down to the extra reverb I don't know. The sound of the guitar in take 2 is probably a better match in general sound ambience to the backing track - makes it sound more like all the musicians are playing together in the same place.

I'm not surprised to hear your praise of Toneriders Mike. I keep hearing lots of praise for their pickups as great value for money good upgrades for stock pickups even on pretty pricey guitars. A pair of their Vintage style Alnico II P90s certainly turned my PRS SE into a much, much better getter for sound and made it the "go to" guitar in the collection. The electrics upgrade is a good move too.
jokron

Post by jokron »

Thanks, VikingBlues!

I agree with your remarks!

Guitar tone: I play Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers through Line6 POD HD 300 into Cubase 6. I put some compressor on the overall track to get it more together. The take 1 has a little to much reverb on the guitar track...

When I play blues like this I tend to just noodle around without direction, it's fun, but gets boring by time for the listener, I guess...

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Some very nice versions here. I enjoyed all of them.
VB, I gotta say that I liked the tone from the LE better.
Mike... your tone and playing is sweet. :thumbsup:
Jokron... I didn't find that boring at all. I agree that the second track sounded more balanced. Nice work.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Nice blues. Well played. I like the LE version tone best.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for those nice comments guys - I'd forgotten to check this thread. :D

Interesting to see that there is some divison of opinion on which of my recordings - Tonelab ST or Tonelab LE gets the vote. Given my opening post I suppose it'll be of no surprise that I tend to prefer the "LE" version. But then my better half likes the ST one more. :icon_whoknows: Just shows how subjective appreciation of tone and sound is.

Gotta just say once more - the BT is amazingly good - I find myself listening to that BIAB guitarist as well as to my lead! :clap: