12bar hall of fame - discussion

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

12bar hall of fame - discussion

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

As I mentioned in the Ecoes topic and as Gerd suggested in a new seperate topic:
HalfBlindLefty wrote::tears: This is so beautiful. I never really liked echoes, but you guys version does it for me. :clap:
Great music with plenty good ideas en darn well executed.

Hey Gerd, why don't we have a 12bar hall of fame, for the greatest music and collabs by members? :icon_whoknows:

This one should be in there
---------------------------------
12bar wrote:
HalfBlindLefty wrote: Hey Gerd, why don't we have a 12bar hall of fame, for the greatest music and collabs by members? :icon_whoknows:
OT:
That's a good idea :thumbsup: , but not easy to do - how to determine which one should enter it? We have the counter, but newer songs never would enter it. I can add a "like it" button like FB, but I'm not much a friend of it.
On the other hand there's still the album project sleeping (my fault), maybe we can change it a bit in a way that the members can suggest "this one's great, it should be on the album/hall of fame", but only the uploader himself has to choose if he wants to.
Any ideas? Maybe a new thread, I don't want to hijack this beautiful song.
Ok guys lets ponder over this idea :D
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

12bar hall of fame

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

My ideas :

- Only songs worthy of being in a hall of fame can be added. Worthy has nothing to do with flawless playing of perfect playing, Those things can add to a song, but should never be the main reason for adding it to the H.O.F . A great collab or a beautiful song that does it for us even when played by a beginner should get a chance! !

Now to the not so nice part ( I'm not too nice ya know :wink: )
- Proposing a song to be added to the H.O.F should never be done by the people who are involved in playing the song.
- Maybe we should restrict the voting to people who are an active member for at least .... f.i 3 months.
- Or maybe Gerd could play chearman to the H.O.F. board that consists of members invited to join the group. The discussions by the board should be visible to the members of the board only. That way everyone can propose a song.

there may be more, but let's chew on this.

/Hans
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: 12bar hall of fame

Post by 12bar »

For testing purpose I changed the album forum to Hall of Fame forum. Every 12 songs I can make a zipped album for download / burning.

Now I'm thinking about HBL's suggestions... :snacks:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I like this idea... just have no clue how to impliment it.
HBL's suggestions are good. Another question... should it be limited to original stuff, or should covers be allowed?
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote:Another question... should it be limited to original stuff, or should covers be allowed?
I'd say allowed if public domain (these damn legal issues)...
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

What about songs that aren't public domain but are posted on other websites like Soundclick?
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Issue with those could be the fact that they get deleted and the HOF has a bad link... mhh gotta think about that.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ok, Lets give it a try : Anyone any entries for the HOF ?
12bar
Site Admin

TEST

Post by 12bar »

This is just a test for a "suggest a HOF-song" feature... don't reply...

:HoF:
Blindboy

Re: 12bar hall of fame - discussion

Post by Blindboy »

I have a couple more questions... (sorry)
I have a few songs I would nominate, but... How can we be sure a song is in the public domain? Public domain in Europe or US? What if it is a BT from a recognizable song, but the poster has played the guitar part differently? Do we simply nominate songs with the new smiley and let Gerd and HBL make the decision?
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It's not easy, sure... :think:

My suggestions are:

- server is in Europe, so EU right should apply
- don't include original lyrics unless you're sure about the copyright (i.e. traditionals)
- it's Blues, and a chord progression can NOT be copyrighted
- don't include commercial backing tracks unless they are public domain ("free download" does not mean without copyright!)
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

:HoF: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1347

Would this be a possible song I could have nominated for the HoF? Because I created the backing track, it should be free of copyright issues, and it is my own playing.

StratLover2
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

StratLover2 wrote:Would this be a possible song I could have nominated for the HoF? Because I created the backing track, it should be free of copyright issues, and it is my own playing.

StratLover2
The song itself meets the conditions, but (quoting myself)
- Proposing a song to be added to the H.O.F should never be done by the people who are involved in playing the song.
:alright:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The more I think about it, the more complicated it seems to be... :wall:

I see the need for a page with a nice set of great songs (let's say something of 10 to 50?) that would otherwise be buried deep in the forum pages.

The most critical thing is which ones to choose and how to justify the selection, because it's all a matter of taste.
The HoF icon (don't use it yet) was one idea, but not the ideal way.
A poll would be nice, but starting a poll with every upload would be too much.
Sorting by the number of song downloads is another possible way, but older songs would profit from it more than recent uploads.
Another way would be "let the admin('s) decide" - but I don't want to disappoint anyone. Maybe a page with all songs uploaded ever combined with a rating mod would be nice, but that would need some (in fact a lot) time.

This is the current state - I'm still in the :think: process. Ideas welcome...
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I have a suggestion Why not come to a kind of reviewsquad that nominate a selection of
posts an collabs for the H.O.F of this year, and let the folks on the 12bar nominate with a number between 1 to 10 on each new post starting from 01-01-2012. If the squad have 5 members the total amount of the number select the top of the songs with the highest score. I there ar to many withe the same score we can arrange a poll to vote :whistle:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

ElMano wrote:I have a suggestion Why not come to a kind of reviewsquad that nominate a selection of
posts an collabs for the H.O.F of this year, and let the folks on the 12bar nominate with a number between 1 to 10 on each new post starting from 01-01-2012. If the squad have 5 members the total amount of the number select the top of the songs with the highest score. I there ar to many withe the same score we can arrange a poll to vote :whistle:
That's not to far away from :
- Maybe we should restrict the voting to people who are an active member for at least .... f.i 3 months.
- Or maybe Gerd could play chearman to the H.O.F. board that consists of members invited to join the group. The discussions by the board should be visible to the members of the board only. That way everyone can propose a song.
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Thanks HBL. :) My apologies, I did not quite read through all the way. I should have slowed down, but I was a tad bit excited to read it thoroughly. Oh well. :)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

No problem, things just happen sometimes ;)
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I'd like to toss out an idea. When Blindboy nominated the Love in Vain collab (which I played on with Strummer and Golfxzq) I was embarrassed - and very flattered. As an low-intermediate player I would not rank myself so high.

But I realized that the HOF should have room for pieces posted by many different members of the forum. I first thought that maybe there should be categories in the HOF for Beginner, Intermediate, Professional, etc. I don't think that's a good idea - too formal.

My suggestion is that the folks who approve the songs for the HOF should provide a citation that explains the reason why a certain song was approved. The reasons could be many and varied and would be totally at the discretion of the selectors. No categories - just whatever the selectors think. Examples:

* Most progress by a beginner
* Good use of collaboration techniques
* Excellent original composition
* Great job with mixing
* Playing is most like EC
* One of the best songs ever posted
* Wizardry in technique

This would allow the selection committee to approve a HOF entry for whatever reason they thought was significant.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:The more I think about it, the more complicated it seems to be... :wall:

I see the need for a page with a nice set of great songs (let's say something of 10 to 50?) that would otherwise be buried deep in the forum pages.

The most critical thing is which ones to choose and how to justify the selection, because it's all a matter of taste.
The HoF icon (don't use it yet) was one idea, but not the ideal way.
A poll would be nice, but starting a poll with every upload would be too much.
Sorting by the number of song downloads is another possible way, but older songs would profit from it more than recent uploads.
Another way would be "let the admin('s) decide" - but I don't want to disappoint anyone. Maybe a page with all songs uploaded ever combined with a rating mod would be nice, but that would need some (in fact a lot) time.

This is the current state - I'm still in the :think: process. Ideas welcome...
I agree on the pol Idea. To me the following sounds line a good idea :
Whenever someone wants to nominate a song for the hall of fame the Icon can be used, and he or she has to send a PM to Gerd and me (to start with)
Since for now it's me and Gerd that are able to modify all posts in the forum, we can put that Icon in the original first post of the topic introducing the song.
Secondly we could crate a poll in the hall of fame discussion board... -mhh Gerd, we might need 2 sub boards total, for the HOF-.

1 HOF board, Only single post topics, containing the songs topics. (Only Mods/admins can create topics here, no replies allowed)
2 HOF candidate and Discussion board, a single topic per nominated song, containing a pol and replies (members can vote and reply.)

Now to be sure it's a fair HOF, maybe we should let only let active members (more than xx posts) vote in the pol and hide the vote results for everyone.
After a pre agreed period ( :fingerscrossed: one or two weeks ?) the songs enters the hall of fame :dance: or not :tears: . The nomination topic gets closed and locked after that. :handshake:

Since we are all grown-ups here I feel we should be able to handle our songs not entering the HOF :handshake: without starting irritated discussions and replies :motz: . Anyway the BOFH aka HBL will use the big red delete button for those if needed :haha: :wink:

Another thing is that we all should be proud of the HOF and nominate songs that really .... really should get that extra attention

This way (almost) everyone gets a say in the Ay or nay :icon_whoknows:

How about this ?