Open mic update, and call for information

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blindboy

Open mic update, and call for information

Post by Blindboy »

This week we actually had a whole band, :chicken: drums, bass, guitar, and keyboards. For a while, a tourist from Berlin sat in on drums, and the drummer got up and played some excellent harp. :harp:
016 - Copy.JPG
016 - Copy.JPG (67 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
A fly in the ointment is that singers are kind of thin on the ground around here. (at least blues singers) We have been getting by, but I am going to have to learn to sing. :yikes: :yikes:
I actually sang a couple (note the mic in front of me), but I am a TERRIBLE singer. I can't stay on pitch, I can't remember words, and I have a hard time playing and singing at the same time. (this is why I never sing on stage, and my wife usually won't let me sing at home :whistle: )
I know that some of you guys here can sing and play. Anyone got any advice or favorite techniques for learning how to do this?
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: Open mic update, and call for information

Post by VikingBlues »

Hey BB - I sympathise and understand your worries. if it's embarassing to put your guitar playing into public view then vocals are ten times worse. :shy:

I wish I had a magic formula, but I'm struggling with the singing myself - the last recording project crashed and burned due to vocal problems. :motz:

The only time I usually sing at all if I'm not recording is when I'm listening to music in the car (and have no passengers). That said, my range is so limited that there's only a few singers I can properly join in with and then not for all their songs.

The trouble with recording vocals is that, unlike the guitar where I plug into the PC interface and put headphones on, no one can really hear what I'm doing and the mess I'm often making of it. Vocals you can't do that with, so i tend to record vocals only when no-one's in the house.

But if you can use multitrack recording and have the chance of praticing vocals with headphones on you can hear yourself and the music better and how they're mixing - trial and error and practice do start to help things improve. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks, VB. Yeah, I think it is just gonna take practice and plugging away at it. :wall:
You know, it's funny; I am way more comfortable on stage (with a band) than playing in front of my computer, but you stick a mic in front of me, and my throat closes up and my mind goes blank. I am not even comfortable talking on the mic and introducing the band, let alone singing.
Actually, my wife says that I can sing, just not very well. :sad: So, to punish her I plan on practicing while she watches TV. :big_smile:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Well, since singing is always loud (no way using earphones like with an :amp: ) I'll have to wait until my kids are older... :icon_whoknows: