A fool's confession

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
MichaelRobinson

A fool's confession

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hey all.

For a time I have had and still have big problems to play guitar. The worst is when I try me on my Godin LGX-SA and the guitar synthesizer from Roland (The black model of the 55)

I dare not engage the stuff because I know with me that it is crap. I mean that I play crap, not the gear. When I force myself to hang on my guitar and plug it into the synth so I scream right out, for the most part.

My intention of buying me on this synth and guitar was making epic music that appeals to me. Now that does not work either. I mean, now I'm off for the music that I felt so well in me. Something is just cut off.

Meanwhile I listen to Alex Huchings to feel fullfilled.

This was a fool's confession. I know.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: A fool's confession

Post by 12bar »

Welcome to the club... :handshake:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I suspect that many of us are fools who could be needing the same sort of confession. :shy:

I have a long list of failures where I have bought gear that was going to bring my playing to new heights ... but the reality was that nothing got better, and it has sometimes meant I lost enthusiasm for playing at all.

Some of the guys like Alex Hutchings who do gear demos are very good at selling you the idea of the product on the back of their own playing skills, and in their technical knowledge of how to get the most out of the gear.

I recall getting a Boss GT6. Demos suggested it would be a great addition. It was so horribly complicated and unintuitive that I had to get a DVD instructional course by Michael Cresswell - someone who really understands a need for cleaner tones. This did mean I found out how I could get good sounds for me from the GT6.

BUT I couldn't stand the amount of set up time needed to get a good sound. :wall: That's something you don't get to see on the demos - the amount of time the player has taken to get those presets working the way they want, or the amount of time they've spent in getting their technical knowledge to the right level.

The more complicated the gear and the more it does the longer the amount of time needed in trying to understand how it works. During this sort of technical thinking I cannot play music that works properly - it means that any creativity is dead. This makes for very unpleasant times. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Strange translation ?? Joda walked past.

VB ............

Exactly. It takes a lot of time to learn the stuff and the patience and the urge to tweak and fix with it is not great.

Sitting here with expensive guitars and expensive guitar synthesizer which I do not venture to explore. Moreover, as I said, I have no appetite for discovery in that fiddle with the guitar synth all possibilities.

It is true that the demo videos shown have taken the time to do given that you say that it takes time to experiment with a good sound. And is Alex Huchings sure the guitar and good at sales talk.

Like you, I think I have to do better than I can handle, and I lose all desire.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I bought a nice Roland Duo Capture with Sonar Software to replace my Toneport GX, which still has problems with the audio drivers under win7. Well, I tried and found out that despite of the volume issues the toneport is much easier to handle and gives better results. I even use the simple Audacity which has all I need. The Roland is collecting dust...