Forest Fire

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blindboy

Forest Fire

Post by Blindboy »

Dealing with another forest fire in our neighborhood. I will post updates.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: Forest Fire

Post by VikingBlues »

Not again! Good luck and keeping the fingers crossed for you all. :fingerscrossed:

Is this more of the extreme weather conditions we all seem to be getting the last few years? Maybe over here this spring we've had extra rain that you should have had (if you can call it spring ... figures confirm is also the coldest UK spring in my lifetime).
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

How is the fire BB? Threaten fire your home?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'll be glad to spend the rain we currently have. It's more than twice as normal. Temperature end of May is 11 °C...
Let's :fingerscrossed: for you and your neighborhood!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks guys, we dodged that bullet. :phew: The fire passed to the north of us. Deaconblues had to evacuate, though, and it came much closer to his place. His house is ok, but there may be smoke damage, I don't know yet.
This is going to be a bad fire season. I am going to load up some guitars, amps, and guns, and take them down to a friends house, outside the danger area, and leave them there until the rains come. (hopefully in July) Miriam is taking a load of pictures and stuff today. That way, if the worst happens, we can just grab the dogs and run, no dithering around.
Later I will post a picture a friend of mine took of Deaconblues neighborhood as the fire was nearest.
964855_630878150275272_1132310417_o.jpg
964855_630878150275272_1132310417_o.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 13704 times
MichaelRobinson

Hope you do not catch the fire and do not have to leave your home. Hope the fire goes out so you can relax.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That looks way too close to me! :yikes:
Must be very difficult to settle to do things when there's this sort of danger lurking. Hope DeaconBlues home is OK. :fingerscrossed:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That looks no good - hope you and Deaconblues are alright!

Meanwhile over here, a bit more south than where I live:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote:Meanwhile over here
:yikes: Wow! We sure could use a little of that water here. We are in a bad drought.
Well, the fire is still around four miles from us and not getting much closer. Still 0% contained. Big helicopters and slurry bombers overhead yesterday. DeaconBlues and his wife are still evacuated. (His house is past the one in the picture, closer to the fire.) Still no houses lost. We moved pictures, some guns, some guitars, and some amps to safer locations. Getting an evacuation plan together for the rest of the fire season (until at least mid July).
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Crap, that isn't the way you'd like it to be.
Hope you'll stay in the clear guys.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Hope you get some rain soon so you do not have to worry about more fires.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Any updates?
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote:Any updates?
We're safe! :phew: The fire burned about 24,000 acres and came within a mile of our house. No homes or structures were burned, though. The Forest Service did an excellent job! I wouldn't want to do that kind of work.
All the smoke had an effect, though. It has really fired up my COPD and I have been having a lot of trouble breathing. Had to miss work and go to the doctor. :wall: I am pretty low energy, but am still making the TWBB gigs. (barely) Have a couple of things I would like to post sometime, gotta get the time and energy to do it.
MichaelRobinson

COPD is a little hell to have. The panic you get when you do not get air is indescribable to people who do not have COPD.
I have COPD, as everyone knows, and I understand everyone who has COPD.
Self, I go most, waiting for death. My COPD is somewhere in the last stages. my breath is lousy
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Oh yes, smoke + COPD is a really bad combination, but glad to hear your home is save. I wish you a couple of heavy rain showers to kill the fire and clean up the air! Maybe not as much as we had here...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:
12bar wrote:Any updates?
We're safe! :phew: The fire burned about 24,000 acres and came within a mile of our house. No homes or structures were burned, though. The Forest Service did an excellent job! I wouldn't want to do that kind of work.
All the smoke had an effect, though. It has really fired up my COPD and I have been having a lot of trouble breathing. Had to miss work and go to the doctor. :wall: I am pretty low energy, but am still making the TWBB gigs. (barely) Have a couple of things I would like to post sometime, gotta get the time and energy to do it.
Glad to hear your home is safe! :cool: .......... a mile sounds like pretty damn close to me though. :phew:

The work the Forest Service do, or any of the emergency services for that matter, for me is firmly in the category of "I don't know how they can do it".

Sorry to hear about the COPD. I don't have experience of that - had a quite severe allergic asthmatic attack several years ago where I could hardly breathe for about a day - and that though minor and very short term was terrifying enough.