Baby What You Want Me To Do - Cover

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Baby What You Want Me To Do - Cover

Post by VikingBlues »

So ... the Jimmy Reed "classic". At least it was a classic until now. :lol:

Another cover inspired by Hawkeys Hermans video lessons. And it's less than two minutes long ... so your pain will be over quickly!

No backing track in sight. Main rhythm on the Viking Deluxe, but also some minor strums on the Strat. Vintage AV4 Bass (which I rather enjoyed :big_smile: ). Strat for the lead part through the Nano Holy Grail and Artec Blues Pedals as usual. I've tried to give it a bit of a live echoey sound of that era. :icon_whoknows:

http://www.box.net/shared/qe15xiieei

:think: I think it sounds OK without percusssion. But I did have a go at adding some. Hmmm .... don't know if I should blame the poor performance or the poor equipment, but it don't seem to cut the mustard. :sad: The only drum unit I have is a Zoom MRT-3b. Not exactly high budget stuff. So the sound is not as realistic as I would like - plus I'ma bit clueless about what I'm doing trying to play correct drum patterns. I don't want to use the preset patterns as they sound so mechanical and suck a large chunk of creativity from ant performance you try to add on to them. Guess there's no real solution to this except get a better machine, and learn a lot about drum patterns, and practice a lot. :wall:

Anyway - this version has added percussion, but I would anticipate it being seen as less good. Listen if you feel strong enough.

http://www.box.net/shared/sjv99op87a
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Baby What You Want Me To Do - Cover

Post by 12bar »

:clap: Wonderful! I also prefer the "without drums" version, the rhythm guitar is enough for this song.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks 12bar. :D I really was much less certain about this than "Death Don't Have No Mercy". :alright:

I'm glad my estimation of the drums / no drums is confirmed by you. I really find the drums aspect :wall: of doing a full one-man band job the MOST frustrating aspect and usually the least satisfying and least effective. This has a lot to do with why I rely on BTs for my music. :sad:

I'd spent the rest of the weekend looking at various other possibles for "covers", tried to set up some recordings of some, and it all went so badly my confidence was draining away with huge gurgling noises, so your post this morning was particularly welcome. I think I got quite despondant last night and stayed awake into the early hours of the morning.

I do find it difficult to get the usual boost to my mood from trying to play other peoples material. I think I need my therapy of doing my own improv every day, or I start to feel out of sorts - probably not a healthy situation. :roll:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

I too prefer the version without the percussions, it fits better the song.
So you play the guitars, the bass and you sing. It seems like a lot of skills
were involved here, congrats it sounds good. :thumbsup:
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

vancouverois wrote:I too prefer the version without the percussions, it fits better the song.
So you play the guitars, the bass and you sing. It seems like a lot of skills
were involved here, congrats it sounds good. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind remarks VC. That's 3-0 now for no percussion. Seems pretty convincing. :thumbsup:

I'm a one man band y'know! (Yeah - one man that ought to be banned :rofl: )

I just wish I could get the hang of getting something reasonable out of a drum machine. Anyway - somehow. :motz: I do enjoy bass a lot - I suspect if I'd had the nerve to play live in a group I'd maybe have gravitated towards bass and i always listen out for the bass lines in songs I listen too - most of my favourite groups have a strong bass player.

It doesn't sound like me listening back to this song though, nor my type of music. It's a bit weird. :eye_rub:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

4-0 for no percussion :)
Great job VB. Sounds fantastic
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:4-0 for no percussion :)
Great job VB. Sounds fantastic
Thanks HBL - I'm grateful for the positive comments. :D

:think: I am puzzled though - this was one of those listen in horror the morning after posting up the recording and thinking "this is terrible". I was not expecting that much of a response. Guess I'm not used to doing covers and have difficulty in listening to them with a clear critical mind. I do find covers to be more of a technical excercise than a musical one though which is a shame - I'd like to get a good feeling from playing them. Ho hum. :alright:

I can't think of anything I've ever played that has been improved or helped by the use of the Zoom MRT-3b. I think it'll have to go! :motz:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:this was one of those listen in horror the morning after posting up the recording and thinking "this is terrible"
This is what I think EVERY TIME when I've uploaded something. Guess it's human. :icon_whoknows:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Yet another vote for the version without drums.
Great job! :thumbsup: Your playing is great, and your singing is getting better each time.
VikingBlues wrote: this was one of those listen in horror the morning after posting up the recording and thinking "this is terrible".
I often think this when I listen to my posts in the cold light of dawn. :alright: We are our own worst critics. It is hard to be objective about ones own playing.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"