Prhrygian Improvisations

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Prhrygian Improvisations

Post by VikingBlues »

As tune writing has dried up and song writing dried up months ago :tears: I only have improvisation to fall back on in the creative sense.

I have been exploring modes in DADGAD, and I thought it was time to try a key other than D! Challenge myself a bit.
The key of "A" seemed a good choice to utilise the open 5th string. A lighter overall tone with the root being much higher pitch than in D.
I maybe should have given myself more than 15 minutes to try out where all the notes were though.

Vintage VE200GG acoustic guitar recorded onto Zoom H4n with the Zooms own microphones, plus direct sound from the guitars own blended pickup system plus using the my new piece of gear, the iRig Acoustic Stage (microphone clips onto the sound hole and has it's own preamp and EQ and calibration system).

I'm more and more convinced that the blended sound from this three way combination works better than any of the individual recording methods on its own. A lot better.

So here's 6 minutes of pretentious self-indulgent noodling. :shy:

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13576633

Might as well add this. Here's one in D from a couple of weeks ago - I guess they are sort of companion pieces. A.k.a. they sound the same!

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13571648

I just enjoy improvisation - I can try and make atmosphere disguise my lack of musical ability and technical knowledge! :cool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
pxm

Re: Prhrygian Improvisations

Post by pxm »

This is intresting and it sounds good. :)
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Wonderful - fits to my mood when I'm down... Very good sound also! :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys! :D

All this Phrygian stuff has got me starting to mess around with a bit of flamenco - many years since I last played any. I suppose it's a logical step to explore. But I'm not sure my older and aching fingers are up to making much of a go of it though. Having to tackle it with a small size classical too - it may be even less up for the task than me. Possibly just trying flamenco because I've suddenly hit a trough with steel string acoustic generally. :sad:

I hope my musical meanderings help lighten the mood rather than make it worse Gerd - I hope you're doing OK.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!