One of mine and a folk Trad PD

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
fenson

Re: One of mine and a folk Trad PD

Post by fenson »

Great idea you had recording this little piece that morning :D
Few second after it starts, I clicked the download icon and finished to listen locally...
It was too tempting to do some post-prod work with it...
Here it is, hope you'll enjoy!
I do not play a single note since you did play the whole thing yet :D
What it's been done? I opened you mp3, cut and save the "first part" in a new Audacity project.
I copy this "new version" in a new track and speed up the tempo: twice faster as the original.
I obviously use this new "lead track" so to speak, to source fragments I then paste in couple new tracks that pretend to be Guitar 2 & Guitar 3.

Let's call this a "Delayed Loop-Pedal Session Experience" ;-) or a sampled collab perhaps :icon_whoknows:
Audacity project files avaliable on demand, indeed!

May this vid from old bud Pierre https://youtu.be/3PpMg2IypX8 mights be inspiring...
:beer:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Hopefully VB likes his clones! :lol:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That's a fascinating project Fenson - interesting how it sounds so familiar and alien all at the same time! You've got me really intrigued about the possibilities of such fragmental arranging. Thanks for doing that - I enjoyed the experience! :thumbsup: :cool:

One of the good things about trying a new tuning for the first time is that you get that mix of familiar and alien as you play it yourself and in exploring possibilities you get the occasional nice surprise. The trick is remembering what you've just done so that nice surprise can be woven into the piece later.

A good link to that Pierre Bensusan video. :thumbsup: He's always interesting to listen too, especially if you like DADGAD tuning. There is inspiration to be drawn from him - for me that is more from hearing the types of sounds and moods he produces than in trying to copy what specific notes he plays.
He hits the nail on the head when he talks enthusiastically about mixing open strings and fretted notes and bringing a real DADGAD flavour to the music. I love the way the notes when mixed like this swirl around each other and bring some tonal qualities and resonances that just aren't available in standard tuning.

I do like the way DADGAD sits on the fence and isn't minor or major in its open strings setup. The Byzantine is a real mix of major and minor so it's a bit sitting on the fence too - it has as many notes from the major Pentatonic as it does the minor.

So yes - VB does like his clones! :high5:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Post by fenson »

VikingBlues wrote:That's a fascinating project Fenson - interesting how it sounds so familiar and alien all at the same time! You've got me really intrigued about the possibilities of such fragmental arranging. Thanks for doing that - I enjoyed the experience! :thumbsup: :cool: :
Happy you welcome my musical :wink:
VikingBlues wrote:The Byzantine is a real mix of major and minor so it's a bit sitting on the fence too - it has as many notes from the major Pentatonic as it does the minor.:
One Symetric scale build around a
whole
step between 4 and 5 degree... But I prefer to stop here before being talking 'bout theory again :lol:

:beer:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.