The Blues is the Healer

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

The Blues is the Healer

Post by Blindboy »

On Monday, February 29 my father Bill Cheatwood passed away. He was the biggest influence on my music and the most important teacher I ever had.
Dad.jpg
Dad.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 9357 times
I had a gig that night and almost didn't go, but I decided that playing might help me grieve. It was fortunate that I did... Not only was I able to pour it out with my guitar, but the audience took up a collection and raised more than 250 dollars to help me get to Oklahoma to help my brothers settle matters. I am blessed with wonderful friends.
https://youtu.be/f54D34urobc
This is a rough cellphone vid of one song from that night. (Please ignore the harp player :roll: ) I am lucky to have the blues guitar as an outlet.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Blindboy

Re: The Blues is the Healer

Post by Blindboy »

Here is another, even rougher vid from the same night... again, ignore the harp player.
https://youtu.be/S2VPmys3erM
It was so good for me to be able to just immerse myself in the blues, that night, all night long. I was still sad, afterward, but not so much paralyzed by grief that I couldn't function.
I apologize for not contributing to the forum lately, but I have been having computer problems. I have also stopped working due to my health issues and am attempting to get disability... this is taking a fair amount of my attention. In the absence of much activity here, I will attempt to start being more present. Maybe we can get things livened up on the forum a bit. :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Very sad news - my condolences to your and your family.
I can hear the pain in your playing - screaming guitar work.
I don't understand the audience talking and going around - I would have stand in the first row in awe.

Don't worry about the forum, we have ups and downs - take care for yourself and :fingerscrossed: for your attempt!

And yes, we need a collab or something...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

It is very sad news indeed and I repeat my best wishes left on facebook for you and your family members in this difficult time Rusty.

It's a benefit of playing music that you can channel emotions and help to exorcise the pains of life.

That's fine intense playing by you in those links you've posted, and as such an important influence in your passion for music it is fitting that you could in effect show that your fathers influence and spirit still lives on in your music at such a time. I recall you saying he gave you a music changing piece of advice to start to sound like yourself - you've certainly fulfilled that wish - big time.

It is a shame for you that you are dogged by these health issues - which certainly don't reduce the quality of your playing at all. You are of great value to the forum whether you are able to visit just occasionally or frequently. In the meantime take care of yourself - and keep those pure blues channelling through your fingers and guitar.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Pena

Post by Pena »

Really sad news BB.
My condolences.

Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thank you, Gentlemen. As Spider Robinson said... "Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased." This has proven true for me on this forum.
VikingBlues wrote:It's a benefit of playing music that you can channel emotions and help to exorcise the pains of life.
That is so true.
VikingBlues wrote: I recall you saying he gave you a music changing piece of advice to start to sound like yourself - you've certainly fulfilled that wish - big time.
High praise indeed. Thank you!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

VB put the word so nicely so I just have to agree. My condolences.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thank you, Michael.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of your father.
All my condolences.
Jan 15th 2007