A Bit of a Mixture

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

A Bit of a Mixture

Post by VikingBlues »

I see it was last November when I last posted music in the Blues Room. :shy:

Not for lack of recorded output, but so little of it currently is really relevant to you all here.

So I'm posting links of a little mixture of music just to touch base and say I'm still playing music. :D

I'd not played an electric guitar at all for 8 weeks. Tonight I made the effort and I played the home made Strat for probably the first time in close to a year. My left hand finger tips were black after 20 minutes - the strings must be ancient. I just plugged my mp3 player into my acoustic amp and played some backing tracks off Gilmourish.com. Strat just plugged into the SuperChmap XD and no fx pedals used. I recorded a wee bit on my little Zoom H4n recorder suing its own microphones - so not top quality.
You'll notice my concentration wavered near the end of the track and there's some very wrong notes. :tears:
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/6iheuuoqatxco81hkmv1m2y3m7jp9d1t
I did quite enjoy playing, but I'd forgotten how heavy the Strat is and how chunky its neck is. The acoustic felt wonderfully light afterwards! :big_smile:

I've very recently got a higher quality mandolin and I'm trying to get back into arrangements of celtic tunes. This recording of a traditional Scots tune has the new mandolin playing lead, a Tanglewood Parlour all Mahogany guitar on rhythm, an Octave Mandolin on rhythm and an also recently acquired Ukulele Bass plugged into the acoustic amp for the bass lines.
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/bgl5mnwnb31c8zcfoftcq0t3auqdi9lq
I am gradually getting the speed up on the mandolin, so bear in mind this tune WAS played too slowly due to my inability. :wall: I am finding the mandolin much more fun now that a have a better quality instrument.

Finally I post a link to an acoustic guitar recording. I'm currently trying to make myself write at least one "tune" for guitar a week and have to record it for future reference and possible editing / improvement. I've managed this for 6 weeks now and 8 recordings have resulted. What I write is pretty bad :shy:, but it doesn't seem to be any worse for not waiting for inspiration to strike. I'm hoping it's going to make it easier to write by following this practice. Like using exercise to build up muscles.
This is a piece in Open D tuning played on that same Tanglewood all Mahogany Parlour guitar. I rather like the sounds it makes here.
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/aghc1jzx04vqyfzcbxhm596nm1i75jgv

I don't think I've said anything in the gear section about the changes to my instrument collection. I must try and do that soon as the guitar, mandolin and uke bass in these recordings are all new to here.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: A Bit of a Mixture

Post by 12bar »

There are not many guitar players out there that cover such a big range of different music styles (and instruments).
It's clear that you feel home playing folk, but the Blues is still there. :clap:

Currently I have to fill several minutes of film with some background noodling, outside typical blues. Not easy...
MichaelRobinson

Re: A Bit of a Mixture

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Yoda-Google went by.

You are the best of Celtic music. I like probably quite right in saying that you have with you the music style right from infancy.
I wish I had continued my course in music, I went many years ago. In it was a little Swedish folk music I heard in my entire life. Folk music speaks to a person if you relax a little, and then it is when I listen to your Celtic music.