Redhouse

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
DavieGarden

Redhouse

Post by DavieGarden »

This is a version of Redhouse, unmastered as yet, recorded on a Boss 1200 CD. :music2:

SORRY, I'VE REMOVED THIS ATTACHMENT UNTIL I CHECK OUT COPYRIGHT ON THE LYRICS, I AM WAITING FOR A REPLY. I WILL RE-POST THE SONG IF I GET PERMISSION.

Mod edit : Placed file inline
Last edited by DavieGarden on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
LzyBlue

Re: Redhouse

Post by LzyBlue »

nicely done! i enjoyed it very much.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice one. Good job of guitar AND vocal. :thumbsup:

Dunno how all you guys on the forum can get heavier distortion to sound as musical and not just a noise. You must let me in on your secrets one day. :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sound great ! Good playing, nice tone
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

VikingBlues wrote:Nice one. Good job of guitar AND vocal. :thumbsup:

Dunno how all you guys on the forum can get heavier distortion to sound as musical and not just a noise. You must let me in on your secrets one day. :big_smile:
As you will know the Les Paul is great for sustain but obviously not loud speaker distorting sustain in a house and this was recorded in my house. What I did was played my Les Paul through a Behringer 212 GX combo with the sustain level set just into distortion and no more (there is lots of sustain settings built into that combo) to make it sound as though it was coming through a much louder set up. Although this was recorded using my Boss 1200 CD, I haven't yet mastered that track, I could have played it clean then used the effects in the recorder but I prefer to record the actual sound with the sustain rather than build it in, it's better from a playing point of view, for me anyway. I have a Fender 550 watt amplification set up and that does not need any effects because it's ear splittingly loud and distorts the cabinet speakers but indoors at home I need a little help from on board effects or external effects and sometimes I use a Korg 1000AX effects board, (the current model is the 1500AX I think) well worth the money and the case is metal so it's hard to damage. You need some sort of effects to go through if you're playing at home, if you just have your guitar into a clean channelled amp and cabinet or into a combo all you'll get is the clean pick up sound, you need some sort of adjustable sustain/distortion effect and it's trial and error from there. The alternative is to use P.C. based software. I hope this gives you some ideas for your own recording and thanks for the positive comment, I appreciate it.
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

LzyBlue wrote:nicely done! i enjoyed it very much.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments. :music2:
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Sound great ! Good playing, nice tone
Thanks for your comments, I appreciate getting them. :music2:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

DavieGarden wrote:As you will know the Les Paul is great for sustain but obviously not loud speaker distorting sustain in a house and this was recorded in my house. What I did was played my Les Paul through a Behringer 212 GX combo with the sustain level set just into distortion and no more (there is lots of sustain settings built into that combo) to make it sound as though it was coming through a much louder set up. Although this was recorded using my Boss 1200 CD, I haven't yet mastered that track, I could have played it clean then used the effects in the recorder but I prefer to record the actual sound with the sustain rather than build it in, it's better from a playing point of view, for me anyway. I have a Fender 550 watt amplification set up and that does not need any effects because it's ear splittingly loud and distorts the cabinet speakers but indoors at home I need a little help from on board effects or external effects and sometimes I use a Korg 1000AX effects board, (the current model is the 1500AX I think) well worth the money and the case is metal so it's hard to damage. You need some sort of effects to go through if you're playing at home, if you just have your guitar into a clean channelled amp and cabinet or into a combo all you'll get is the clean pick up sound, you need some sort of adjustable sustain/distortion effect and it's trial and error from there. The alternative is to use P.C. based software. I hope this gives you some ideas for your own recording and thanks for the positive comment, I appreciate it.
Thanks for such a detailed reply DG. You hit the nail on the head about the problem of recording at home (in my case in a flat which is even more of a problem for sound levels).

I just find it very difficult to be convinced by any of the pedals / input devices / PC Software "gain" controls - at best I feel when I use them they sound artificial and at worst just a nasty noise. Maybe just me though - I did do some higher gain stuff (with the Tokai "LP Custom") for my younger son who was looking for some background music on a showreel dvd he was doing and he seeemed to rate the sounds as good, but it made me wince to listen to it. I sometimes think maybe it's :oldie: but then why would I like to listen to other players higher gain sounds on this site? :icon_whoknows:

I think I need to experiment more and see if I can improve it and bring the artificial closer to reality, unless I move to a secluded mansion! It can just be a case of the right combination of guitar and effect - my Artec Blues Driver pedal sounds great with my Strat and Tele, but I can't get a good sound using my current humbucker guitars. The humbucker guitars respond better to the Blackstar HT pedals, while the single coil guitars don't really get a benefit. :motz:

The search goes on ...... :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

Terrific! Very good playing and the singing ain't too bad neither! :clap:

Recording at home can be a pain. I have a small house and a wife and daughter that don't want to be overly disturbed, so I've been going direct into my PC with a m-audio firewire solo(works great, but for somerason installing the driver is a pain in the butt). I record on Cakewalk Guitar Tracks pro and I have a ton of plugins. I'm loving the Ikmultimedia fender amp simulator.

I just posted a recording of the 6/8 blues track VikingBlues put up and I was using that, along with a sony distortion plugin to warm it up. I'm kinda surprised how good the tone is,and , btw, I'm a tube amp purist, I hate solid state and digital amps, and I favor the fender tone.
"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

Wow!! You're really letting it hang out there. :dance: :clap:
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Great take on Red House!

That song really lends it self to ripping blues riffs with its slow 6/8 feel.

Getting good distortion means working a lot with the tone controls. Generally, the bridge pickup is going to have more defined tones than the neck pickup. Les Pauls (for me) work better with sustain that Strats (but it depends on the amp).

A lot of people use what is called the "scooped" tone for distorion - where the key is to eliminate the frequencies that sound bad. They boost the bass and the treble but they take down the mids - usually the lower mids from 400- 900 Hz. A graphic EQ can do wonders for getting good distorted tone. You still need the treble in there, though.

I also find pickup height has a lot to do with good distortion tone. A pickup that is too close can sound bad because it is overloading. Lowering them often makes for a sweeter distortion sound. Also - a good modeling amp will give a vast selection of distorions and I find that I don't like most of them but one will work.
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

As an 'add on' to one of my posts above where I was explaining what I used to record the song, I should have said that I didn't D.I. the guitar into the Boss 12 CD, I used an S.E. Electronics condenser mic, it costs around £130 Sterling and is pretty accurate with it's sound reproduction, hope that helps someone out there. :music2:
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

Nice singing and playing Man :thumbsup:

The guitar could come a little
more in the mix I had trouble
hearing it :sad: But from what
I did hear you got some smokin' licks :music2:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: first...

You did a great version, excellent playing. I only have one please: remember the copyright. If you sing, this will give a nice point of attack for the lawyers (had this a year ago)... Some members upload it to a third party server (although strictly speaking they could be sued nonetheless).

Sorry, but this is the real world... :icon_whoknows:
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

12bar wrote::welcome: first...

You did a great version, excellent playing. I only have one please: remember the copyright. If you sing, this will give a nice point of attack for the lawyers (had this a year ago)... Some members upload it to a third party server (although strictly speaking they could be sued nonetheless).

Sorry, but this is the real world... :icon_whoknows:
Ok I hear what you're saying, should I remove it? :music2:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Would be too bad - you can edit your post and put an external link into it, if possible.
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

12bar wrote:Would be too bad - you can edit your post and put an external link into it, if possible.
Can you explain how I go about doing that please?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Simply upload it to one of the free servers out there and link to it, for example like in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=349

This is only necessary if you clearly hit a copyright, for example playing a copyrighted song very close to the original or using the original lyrics. It doesn't matter that this is an amateur site, as soon as it's public the site owner has to pay royalties. :wall:

Youtube violates the copyright every day, but has enough money and good lawyers. :icon_whoknows:
DavieGarden

Post by DavieGarden »

Ok, I've emailed an organisation re the Copyright for Redhouse and asked their permission to up load my song so that others on this forum can hear it so I'll give it a week or so for a reply and if it's positive I'll upload it again, failing that I'll have to dig out my old blues collection and maybe update some stuff from before 1922 or just upload some of my own tracks. I really like doing cover versions though with my own solos. It will be a real pain if I get a refusal from the point of view that someone could upload a cover, people could listen ot it and say, "Hey, I liked that, I think I'll go and buy the original you know"? In a way people doing cover are really adverising the original product, I think we should be allowed to do it as long as we're not selling it for profit. :music2:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

DavieGarden wrote:I think we should be allowed to do it as long as we're not selling it for profit. :music2:
That would be really great - it's time for new internet compatible copyright laws. Unfortunately, in real life it's not that easy. You did a great rendition, you don't get money - but somewhere someone is waiting to make money the other way and you (or I) get a nice letter "you're guilty!. You've got 200 clicks, that makes xyz $$, now pay!" :wall:

Again - they don't attack the big ones. That's why uploading to soundclick is a workaround, although strictly speaking you're not allowed to upload it there either.