Right, here's another vid...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Right, here's another vid...

Post by Blindboy »

Same night, same rig. Original instrumental jam "Mystery", that y'all have heard before. This time it's on the Strat. I play it different each time, mainly because I haven't come up with a melody, or consistant theme. It bugs me that I keep ending phrases on the tonic, it sounds so predictable. I can't, however, come up with anything better. I will keep trying, meanwhile, this song is lots of fun to play.
http://youtu.be/q24cTK2f7RQ
Hope y'all like it.
Not that hard to play along with, just use the C minor blues scale, and some kind of minor modal scale. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Right, here's another vid...

Post by 12bar »

Swinging rhythm, latin feel - great job. I don't think it's too predictable, it sounds natural, floating out of your fingers... :dance:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

On the plus side if you end up on the tonic then the listener has solid ground to latch onto. :cool:

The fact that it's fun still after many times of playing it is a good thing indeed. It certainly looks like you're enjoying playing it. All sounds very natural and articulate - well played by all concerned! :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
CarsickPhil

Post by CarsickPhil »

It's great to see a live performance. It's one thing to do many takes at home and pick the best to share with others; quite another to perform live and get it right. I wasn't quite sure that the drummer was helping as the performance progressed. He's quite loud in the mix and distracting from the fine work up front. I wonder whether it would be better for this number if he played with brushes - I'm not an expert on this.
All the best
Philip
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Blindboy wrote:Hope y'all like it.
I do; but then again, I'm an old Deadhead accustomed to enjoying the ride while the band takes a wandering exploration of the musical landscape.
Blindboy wrote:Not that hard to play along with, just use the C minor blues scale, and some kind of minor modal scale.
Say what? :think:
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks fellers, glad y'all liked it. MikeL, it is just that, an exploration. We never know quite how it will come out.
CarsickPhil wrote: I wasn't quite sure that the drummer was helping as the performance progressed. He's quite loud in the mix and distracting from the fine work up front. I wonder whether it would be better for this number if he played with brushes
That is the fault of the I-pad microphone. From where he was standing to film, it picked up more of the drums. The recording we made that night is much more balanced.
CarsickPhil wrote:It's great to see a live performance. It's one thing to do many takes at home and pick the best to share with others; quite another to perform live and get it right.
Actually, I am much more comfortable live than I am in the studio. If I do too many takes, they start to get worse, not better. :roll:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"