Playing around...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
jokron

Playing around...

Post by jokron »

...with the harmonies in The House of the Rising Sun...

/Jokron

download/file.php?id=2832
Attachments

Sunrise.mp3 - (5.2 MiB)

I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
MichaelRobinson

Re: Playing around...

Post by MichaelRobinson »

All in all......... :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Great version of a timeless song! How did you get that tone - real amp + mic or software amp?
jokron

Post by jokron »

12bar wrote:Great version of a timeless song! How did you get that tone - real amp + mic or software amp?
Boss GT-100 version 2 - amazing tones...the solo is a preset: Theraechold, love it...I was going to sell it, but now I'm glad i kept it, especially after the upgrade to version 2.0.

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks - seems to me an amazing tool. So you recorded via USB?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Soaring!!!! :cool: :clap:

You should get a medal for getting to grips with one of those Boss flagship multi-fx units. Unless they've got easier since the two I tried ..... by the time I'd set up a sound I'd forgotten what I was going to play!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
jokron

Post by jokron »

12bar wrote:Thanks - seems to me an amazing tool. So you recorded via USB?
Yes via USB...

/Jokron
jokron

Post by jokron »

VikingBlues wrote:Soaring!!!! :cool: :clap:

You should get a medal for getting to grips with one of those Boss flagship multi-fx units. Unless they've got easier since the two I tried ..... by the time I'd set up a sound I'd forgotten what I was going to play!
Oh, there are about 200 presets and with the new Boss Tone Central you get endless variations of presets...

On the other hand...if you know what you are looking for, it's not that difficult...

I often set aside some time to just find some useful and save them...so I'm not engineering when I was ment to play...

And a new feature is that you can record end then revamp the track if you're not satisfied with the tone...excellent...

/Jokron
jokron

Post by jokron »

VikingBlues wrote:Soaring!!!! :cool: :clap:

Yo cna get a pretty good idea how it works by watching this youtube-video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vO0FFaYScY

/Jokron
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Sounds great but aren't you playing the melody, not the harmony? :think:
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
jokron

Post by jokron »

MikeL wrote:Sounds great but aren't you playing the melody, not the harmony? :think:
Well, yes, but i'm not playing the original melody, I'm trying to improvise over the chord changes, trying to get away from the original melody but still within the harmonies. Maybe I should have written "Soloing over the chord changes och The House of the Rising Sun" instead... I've sung that song for more than 40 years, first time in 1972, the first song I sang in public...so the changes are natural to me and I still love them...

/Jokron
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

No worries, my understanding of many of these terms is muddy so I need to test myself sometimes. HOTRS is one of the handful of songs I can play but only the arpeggiated chords; not the melody. Maybe I'll take a stab at the melody part if I stop being so lazy.
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Interesting seeing a few videos about this piece of gear. Looks very much like it's more responsive, and less digitally fizzy than it's predecessors. Even more importantly it seems much easier to adjust. I recall the constant reference to manuals trying to find my way to various sub sub menus etc.

Very sensible to do that engineering work in advance - I'm a bit too impatient, or maybe just disorganised for such advanced planning! :whistle:

By the way - you did a good job of steering clear of the originals melodic lines. :thumbsup: Not at all easy, as those lines are buried so deep within our memories it's damn difficult to stop the fingers going where they shouldn't and playing it as it originally was.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
jokron

Post by jokron »

VikingBlues wrote:Interesting seeing a few videos about this piece of gear. Looks very much like it's more responsive, and less digitally fizzy than it's predecessors. Even more importantly it seems much easier to adjust. I recall the constant reference to manuals trying to find my way to various sub sub menus etc.

Very sensible to do that engineering work in advance - I'm a bit too impatient, or maybe just disorganised for such advanced planning! :whistle:
Yes, I have fiddled around with many och the amp/fx sims through the last ten years, begun with Line6 Guitar Port, then the Vox Tonelab, then Amplitube, back to Line6 POD:s in various models, Guitar Rig 5 and finally the Boss GT-100, since I bought it a couple of years ago I have always returned to it and now, when I can work with the computer interface and the upgraded version 2.0 software I feel like coming home...Actually I think that this is the unit/program that has the least digital fizz of them all, mainly that's what differ from Line6 products to my opinion...
the way - you did a good job of steering clear of the originals melodic lines. :thumbsup: Not at all easy, as those lines are buried so deep within our memories it's damn difficult to stop the fingers going where they shouldn't and playing it as it originally was.
Thanks! I did an earlier version based on the melody with a solo in the middle, but I got an idea of a project (among many others I started, never seems to get some of them done :roll: but I just do it for fun...) with songs that inspired me through the years, keeping the chord changes but playing new melodies and giving them new names that in some way connect them to the original songs...hence "Sunrise" for this. Next song will be "Joe's Dilemma"...based on the interesting chord chain in "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix; C-G-D-A-E - the circle of 4ths...

/Jokron
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

jokron wrote: Yes, I have fiddled around with many och the amp/fx sims through the last ten years, begun with Line6 Guitar Port, then the Vox Tonelab, then Amplitube, back to Line6 POD:s in various models, Guitar Rig 5 and finally the Boss GT-100, since I bought it a couple of years ago I have always returned to it and now, when I can work with the computer interface and the upgraded version 2.0 software I feel like coming home...Actually I think that this is the unit/program that has the least digital fizz of them all, mainly that's what differ from Line6 products to my opinion...
Sounds familiar, although I'm somewhere in the middle of your process. I'm using the free Amplitube version, but I'm missing a lot of settings my old gearbox had, so that I switch back and forth. If it wasn't another 350 bucks (just got the Roland interface) I would try the GT-100, as it sounds like the holy grail.
jokron

Post by jokron »

Yes, that Line6 Gear Box had some nice sounds, especially the JC-120 and the jazz preset. A couple of blues sounds were good too. But the GT-100 has a richer deeper sound, and you get a very good dynamic response when playing. And theres almost no digital fizz. Exciting is the new feature where you can play and get midi-notes to trigger other sounds...seems cool, but I haven't tried it out yet...

OK, it's a bit expensive, but absolutely worth it...and looking at BOSS:s pedals through the years I guess it will last for many years to come...

Hope you can get one by time, maybe you should look at the desktop version GT-001 if you're not into floor pedals, that would definetly be my choice today...

/Jokron
jokron

Post by jokron »

Oh, and I guess the guitar has a part in the tone too...i play a Gibson Les Paul Plus Top with burstbuckers...

Jokron
jokron

Post by jokron »

12bar wrote:
Sounds familiar, although I'm somewhere in the middle of your process. I'm using the free Amplitube version, but I'm missing a lot of settings my old gearbox had, so that I switch back and forth. If it wasn't another 350 bucks (just got the Roland interface) I would try the GT-100, as it sounds like the holy grail.

Have you tried the Guitar Rig Free Player?

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... -5-player/

/Jokron
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Yes, but it's very noisy, I couldn't get any good settings with my guitars. Maybe I give it another try.
I've also tried several free amp vst's, but so far the good old gearbox sounds best.
jokron

Post by jokron »

12bar wrote:Yes, but it's very noisy, I couldn't get any good settings with my guitars. Maybe I give it another try.
I've also tried several free amp vst's, but so far the good old gearbox sounds best.
I do remember that I had to adjust the noise gate to get rid of the biased noise...I bought the full version later, but after a while I returned back to the GT-100...

I wonder if all our modern gears traps us into fiddling around with sounds all the time...many guitarist has one or maybe two amps, 2-3 pedals and that's it...I sold my Line6 Variax just because I tended to fiddle around with the various possibilities insted of just playing, and then, of course, I'm so pleased with my Les Paul that I don't need another guitar...sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be enough with one amp and a couple of pedals, Tubescreamer, a delay and maybe a wah-wah...

/Jokron