Acoustic spaces

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Acoustic spaces

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ok, after givin' all of you folks a good run for cover by posting the spanish thingie :haha: I felt I should make up a little by doing something bluesy with the Ibanez.

El Mano's Indian summer collab got me wondering how the Ibanez would hold herself in a blues song, so I tried to do a quick jam over the Cold call backingtrack that was used for both Indian summer and Leaving spaces.

I named it Acoustic spaces It's a bit repetitive, The guitar has got me working the strings so hard I tend to circle around the same lick time after time.
Anyway, here it is :

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9582072
ibanez 1AE500E.jpg
ibanez 1AE500E.jpg (79.06 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Acoustic spaces

Post by 12bar »

Ibanez and Blues? :think: That's like a Hyundai Matiz as Blues mobile :bb: or Jose Ramirez playing Stormy Monday - impossible, doesn't fit together.

Well, until now. No matter what guitar (a plank with some fishing lines would also work) - HBL gets the Blues out of it... :pray:
Pena

Post by Pena »

So true 12bar.
HBL can do it :clap:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:aha: Aha - just what I thought.

If the player is good enough then any guitar is a blues guitar. Silky tone with a blues edge - crystal clear notes - you'ev got yourself a winner with this guitar HBL. :clap: :clap:

To think that this is the same instrument that was doing it's Spanish thing just a few hours ago.

Versatile guitar and versatile player - a dynamite combination. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys, it was a quick jam, but fun to use the guitar this way :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote:Ibanez and Blues? :think: That's like a Hyundai Matiz as Blues mobile :bb: or Jose Ramirez playing Stormy Monday - impossible, doesn't fit together.
I don't know... I play blues on an Ibanez archtop... :big_smile:
Sounds great HBL! :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm already converted... :high5:

Resistance was futile indeed. :lol:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Blindboy wrote:
12bar wrote:Ibanez and Blues? :think: That's like a Hyundai Matiz as Blues mobile :bb: or Jose Ramirez playing Stormy Monday - impossible, doesn't fit together.
I don't know... I play blues on an Ibanez archtop... :big_smile:
Sounds great HBL! :thumbsup:

Thanks bb,

for me the issue is slowly growing and I start feeling like I should take down this one.
Would have been better if I'd just played a acoustic version of the original "Leaving spaces"
To take down or not to take down.... that's the question. :think: :wall:

wanna compare ?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7163487
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

HalfBlindLefty wrote: for me the issue is slowly growing and I start feeling like I should take down this one.
Would have been better if I'd just played a acoustic version of the original "Leaving spaces"
To take down or not to take down.... that's the question. :think: :wall:

wanna compare ?
I like both versions. Keeping in mind that the original "Leaving Spaces" is one of the best pieces of playing that I have heard from you (imo), and the new one is on a guitar that you are still getting used to, comparisons are not really fair. Play Little Sister a lot for another couple of months, then rerecord and see what you think.
For what my opinion is worth (hot air), I like to approach acoustic and electric guitars as different instruments. It sounds to me like you are playing the Ibanez like an electric, and (imo) you can't get the most out of the different tone and timbre unless you play it like an acoustic (even with piezo pups). Don't ask me how to do this, it is different for each player. I can't explain how I approach them except with an ear for the tone and resonance and timbre of each instrument.
My, I do go on, don't I.
Anyway, I am enjoying hearing your new guitar and look forward to hearing more. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks BB :)

I agree, I was exploring the guitars (and my) possibilities and for now I guess I found something to work on.
Yes there is indeed a difference in approach between electric and acoustic guitars. Even between types of electric guitars I have a different approach, -or way of playing them, if you like-.
The Strat is my buddy, workhorse and the most versatile guitar, it is easy to express emotions just by playing it. The Epiphone Dot is a great guitar and has an fantastic sound, it lacks the ease of playing the Strat has. My Avion LP-alike well I love here but I feel better at home when playing overdriven rock ballads on her. Mhh the Tele is catching dust in the corner :/

The Ibanez is a keeper btw :)

I'm afraid that when I have to come to the conclusion, I'm a strat / Tokai man.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:I like both versions. Keeping in mind that the original "Leaving Spaces" is one of the best pieces of playing that I have heard from you (imo), and the new one is on a guitar that you are still getting used to, comparisons are not really fair. Play Little Sister a lot for another couple of months, then rerecord and see what you think.
FWIW I like both too HBL. :thumbsup: To be able to produce such a good alternative a version of "Leaving Spaces" with a new guitar after such a short time, particularly given the immense quality of the original version, is amazing. :clap: I think you may just have now both an electric and acoustic guitar with a special connection to you.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:The Strat is my buddy, workhorse and the most versatile guitar, it is easy to express emotions just by playing it. The Epiphone Dot is a great guitar and has an fantastic sound, it lacks the ease of playing the Strat has. My Avion LP-alike well I love here but I feel better at home when playing overdriven rock ballads on her. Mhh the Tele is catching dust in the corner :/

The Ibanez is a keeper btw :)

I'm afraid that when I have to come to the conclusion, I'm a strat / Tokai man.
A keeper for sure.

:aha: Don't give up on the tele though - one day you may get a surprise. Some guitars lend themselves well to a particular style - others just mould themselves to your playing for pretty well everything. Sometimes one lies dormant for months or even years and suddenly clicks.

Let's just celebrate them all - the guitars that brighten up our lives (they brighten mine anyway - sad isn't it) like a beacon of hope. Hey .. poetic or what!! Without my guitars my life would be a much bleaker place - they all (four of them now) enrich my existence. Big smiley face time. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!