Dirt Slow G

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Dirt Slow G

Post by VikingBlues »

Right - I've slapped the "learner" plates on the guitar and had another go at a bit more "dirt". I just don't give up! :whistle:

The backing track is from BluesBlast.com and has the catchy title of "hi_dirtslow_g".
Slow dirty blues in G - bluesblast on the sticks plays some truly primitive drums is how it was described about half way down this linked page.
http://www.bluesblast.com/whatever/whatever.html
The Website refers to:-
tracks I put together for my own fun but you are welcome to share

The neighbours are away on holiday and there was a chance this morning for a recording by microphone at a decent volume level. Two takes intercut and panned left left and right. Both with the VS6 "SG" and through the Fender G-Dec3 30. I'm trying to get accumstomed to the way a solid body humbucker guitar plays again. As usual I'm hogtied by my lack of speed.

download/file.php?id=2029

Please be tolerant of an old guy pretending to be young again. :alright:
Attachments

Improv on Slow Dirt Blues in G
Dirt G.mp3 - (3.05 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Re: Dirt Slow G

Post by vancouverois »

A good one VB! :thumbsup:
Nice back track that naturally leads you to an overdriven sound.
I'm sure your SG could do wonders with a bit of gain on the treble pickup :big_smile:
Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

A swedish saying; "You is not older then you feel". I'm old and feel young. To young to cach up with my real age. Don't worry to pretend to be young. We all have our life within us.

Nice to here you play more dirty and far from the VB sound. Good job. :clap: :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Don't be so shy - crank it up! Humbuckers are so powerful! :thumbsup: :banana:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

vancouverois wrote:Nice back track that naturally leads you to an overdriven sound.
I'm sure your SG could do wonders with a bit of gain on the treble pickup :big_smile:
MichaelRobinson wrote:Nice to here you play more dirty and far from the VB sound. Good job. :clap: :thumbsup:
Thanks guys - it's fun to stray a bit from the usual gentle VB sound. :big_smile:
I'll need to investigate the gain and treble pickup idea, but with this recording I'm already teetering on the edge of inner voice telling me things are getting too brash and noisy!
12bar wrote:Don't be so shy - crank it up! Humbuckers are so powerful! :thumbsup: :banana:
In order of your text - 1)Advice I should apply to all parts of my life, 2) advice that I will try and (gradually) follow, and 3) very true. :thumbsup:
I had gone off the humbucker sound rather a lot - but this vs6 SG seems to have restored a lot of my interest in the 'bucker sound.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

An alternative take.

P90s and the PRS SE this time.

download/file.php?id=2063

It's just a little less restrained tahn the last attempt.
I'm very gradually easing myself towards playing with freedom - maybe get there by the time I'm 150. :oldie:
Attachments

Dirt Slow Jam - VB Take 2
Dirt Slow Jam_G.mp3 - (3.04 MiB)

tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hi VB...just listed to both cuts. I like the first one better!!! A bit more edgy...maybe you did not think so much, and just played!!! The ideas seemed to flow better on the first take for my taste. Both takes are very good though, and I still do also like the p90's you play (on last one). Give them both an 8 :)
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

tytlblues wrote:I still do also like the p90's you play (on last one).
I do like the bigger variation I seem to be able to get in tone from those P90s. Most of my other pickups seem very "samey" by comparison however I pick / attack the string.
tytlblues wrote:I like the first one better!!! A bit more edgy...maybe you did not think so much, and just played!!!
Seriously - thanks for listening to both takes. I think I'll need to get some distance in time before I can listen to todays recording with a more impartial ear. At the moment the first version does sound to me like I was playing it safer. It is very difficult to judge your own playing isn't it? :icon_whoknows: :wall:

Glad you like both versions. They do seem a bit pedestrian though. Those old finger joints! :oldie:
MichaelRobinson

Realy, realy good, VB. This is the hart of blues and you do it so well. :thumbsup: :clap:
Pena

Post by Pena »

Oh man VB, that is soulful blues :clap: :thumbsup:
Keep it up :music2:
Pick or fingers? At some places I was 100% sure... fingers...???!!!
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thabk you MR, thank you Pena - appreciate the kind comments. :D
Pena wrote:Pick or fingers? At some places I was 100% sure... fingers...???!!!
Pena
You're right to be 100% sure ... yes - fingers. Usually only end up with a pick if I get serious damage to a nail. I find I can manage more of a voice, and more variations in tone than I get from a pick. For years I used a pick on electric guitars. It used to be the rules I think - fingers for acoustic and pick for electric. It was my better half that got me both getting an interest in the blues, and playing without the pick - I'm eternally grateful for her suggestions about both as my enjoyment in guitar playing has risen hugely as a result. :big_smile:
MichaelRobinson

I don't know you in person but have thought that you want to play sofistcated and dicipined. I think you want to be a gentlemen with your guitars. I don't know if it helps you but let go off the gentlemen now and then and you gradualy get free in youre style.
It's just how I see youre playing and youre desire to play freely.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:I don't know you in person but have thought that you want to play sofistcated and dicipined. I think you want to be a gentlemen with your guitars. I don't know if it helps you but let go off the gentlemen now and then and you gradualy get free in youre style.
You're not wrong. I was brought up in a social class (for want of a better description) where discipline and reserved and unemotional behaviour were considered to make you of good character. Combine that with being on only child and a bit of a loner when young. I suppose it's no wonder I find it difficult to let my hair down and throw caution to the wind.

I see the sort of performance, and more to the point, the sort of playing, that the likes of a Pete Townshend can do when they let rip, and I admire their ability to do that hugely.

Though I'm not sure if I would like to have the amount of anger in me that a lot of these players seem to be carrying around with them. :sad:

I do remember someone on this forum comparing the more aggressive blues playing as needing a channelling of feeling a bit like a method actor uses - dragging up bad feelings and trying to move them into your playing. It does work, but I must admit to not enjoying that process greatly.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

I prefer the first try, it seems that the humbuckers have the grit needed for this BT.
They just lack a bit of gain to make them singing! :beer:
The 2nd try is quite good, but it sounds like the P90 attack is softer.
VikingBlues wrote: I see the sort of performance, and more to the point, the sort of playing, that the likes of a Pete Townshend can do when they let rip, and I admire their ability to do that hugely.
Though I'm not sure if I would like to have the amount of anger in me that a lot of these players seem to be carrying around with them. :sad:
About the Who, we may certainly "receive" it as anger but I guess that professionals play their heart out on stage and instead of anger I would
consider it more like wild passion/burning love.
Jan 15th 2007