Cats a Sleeping in the Sun Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Cats a Sleeping in the Sun Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

Trying to apply the ideas of my "Swampy" guitar tone from my recent post of a short slide recording to a proper full length recording uing a Lawrence Fritts BT called 'Snoring Cat Blues'.

Open D tuning - Hagstrom Viking Deluxe neck pickup through Compressor, Hardwire CM2 drive pedal and EHX Nano Reverb - direct to PC interface.

Hope my lack of practice doesn't make the whole recording too dull! :fingerscrossed:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11590251
Shame I didn't have any old pictures of my cat asleep instead of awake to attach to the soundclick file - Oh Well.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
choucas09

Re: Cats a Sleeping in the Sun Blues

Post by choucas09 »

You know I said that swamp thing had me singing..............http://www.box.com/s/e908b499a8f22d368cd4
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Yes indeed, swampy VB! I like it....been some great slide stuff posted here the last couple of days. Great tone from the Hagstrom, and great slide playing!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Fantastic mini-collab, folks! Voice fits guitar, guitar fits slide, slide fits song: :pray: :pray: :pray:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

choucas09 wrote:You know I said that swamp thing had me singing..............http://www.box.com/s/e908b499a8f22d368cd4
12bar wrote:Fantastic mini-collab, folks! Voice fits guitar, guitar fits slide, slide fits song: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Wow - great job on the singing man :pray: ... I wondered about the mini-collab comment until I worked back to the earlier post. Really nice surprise. :big_smile:
tytlblues wrote:Yes indeed, swampy VB! I like it....been some great slide stuff posted here the last couple of days. Great tone from the Hagstrom, and great slide playing!
Thanks Tytl. Agreed on the good slide stuff that gets posted by others here - I find it encourages me to have a go - slide has become so much more fun (and so much easier) since I started using the pinkie for slide and got a quality glass made to measure slide for it.

BUT .... Why is it SO much easier with just a little bit of slide practice to get a bluesier sound from one note played with slide than it is with lots of practice and several notes played conventionally!! :roll:
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

I reckon it's because slide sounds so vocal Mark. It sounds so much closer to the human voice which of course doesn't have frets.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

An improvised collab. Suprice, suprice. It works very well beetwen you two in this mini collab, so way don't you do more like this ? :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

choucas09 wrote:I reckon it's because slide sounds so vocal Mark. It sounds so much closer to the human voice which of course doesn't have frets.
Good point! Though I sometimes wish my voice had frets - might give me more of a chance of hitting the right notes! :lol:
MichaelRobinson wrote:An improvised collab. Suprice, suprice. It works very well beetwen you two in this mini collab, so way don't you do more like this ? :clap:
This was a collab that was a total surprise :eye_rub: to one of the two people in the collabs - I was surprised at what I'd I'd played - and I had no idea that choucas (or anyone) would be able to put a vocal like that on the recording, and make it sound so much more real. So I'd have to admit there could well be a lot of opportunitoes for collabs that I'll miss thinking are even possible. :icon_whoknows:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Very Swampy! :thumbsup:
Between the slide and the vocals, I had to brush the Mississippi mud off of my boots. :lol:
Nice to hear the Viking again.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"