What is your recording setup?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ratfinkdan

What is your recording setup?

Post by ratfinkdan »

So many great sounding recordings that you guys are posting here, whats your set up, simple, complex, computer based, standalone , do you mic amps or use modelers or software amps? I'm sure we all have different setups, so I'll start. I'm not much of a computer guy ( kind of old school ) so I use a boss br1600, record, mix and master and burn to cd all on the boss. Sometimes I mic a small amp, although sometimes I will use a boss gt10 or a tech 21 character pedal. For Drums I usually just find a loop on an alesis sr16 drum machine, I'm not much at programming drum machines, have tried sometimes its ok sometimes not but its always a lot of work. I have a couple of old event studio monitors that I use to listen through and to mix on, pretty simple setup that works well for me. So how about you? Dan
2WheelsOfBlues

Re: What is your recording setup?

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Over here its very simple;

Guitar --> Amp --> PC --> Adobe audition software/program + a beter sound card in the pc.

Creative FX1 incl. frontbox, there's almost everything you can plug on to and the card is very, very nice great sound.

I got lucky that HBL advised me in it :D

Now i have a great amp (Fender Cyber Twin) that gives a great sound, the amp I had before didn't reach the sound quality that this amp has.
I think thats even inportant as good software and sound card.
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I created a simple drawing that should be self explainatory (I hope)
recording setup.jpg
recording setup.jpg (13.16 KiB) Viewed 11819 times
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Pena

Post by Pena »

After HBL drawing... :shy:...
Mine is; axe---> Line 6---> audacity... no mixing, fixing etc, maybe some input adjustment be4 recording.
Gotto keep it as simple as possible :oldie: noob.
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Yeah I am simple also. Guitar, boss js8, and GarageBand

Software to record!

A yeah.......I also use a pick. :)
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

It wil be interesting to see the variety of answers here. :thumbsup:

Add me to the list of simple. Including simple playing. :roll:

My "best" amp has no line out and having little chance to play loud through it for a mic recording I usually make recordings direct to PC without an amp. In any case the amp has just one basic sound with little effect from the tone control. Though I do like the sound it makes it is not always a sound that is best suited to a backing track and the amp imposes it's own character on any modelled sounds fed into it. Bit of a pain - I like to practice a piece a bit with the amp but it means I then have to rewire everything up to make a recording and I have to hope the flow doesn't go while I make the changes.

For the last few months it's nearly always been the same set-up:-
Head --> Fingers --> PRS SE --> Marshall Compressor --> Hardwire CM2 Overdrive --> EHX Nano Reverb --> Vox Tonelab LE --> Alesis iO2 --> Samplitude 16 DAW.

The "tweaking" on the DAW is usually just limited to small variation on delay/reverb, and balance in the mix / panning the stereo position. The sound qualities that can be got from the Vox LE and the pedals are massively better, and much less digital sounding than those on the DAW. I might sometimes have pedals on the send/return insert of the Vox LE rather than feeding into the front of it.

It was a major struggle to get the DAW to work at all on the current PC and a struggle to get any interface to work effectively. I will no longer risk spending money on an upgrade to DAW or interface till I get another computer that is better suited - too much chance of not getting it working and TBH I do not have the patience for yet more struggles with Vista and it's lack of suitability for music applications and recording. :wall:

The Vox LE tends to get used for nearly all recordings, though I sometimes still use my older Vox ST. I occasionally use the Boss GT8 though I seem to have stalled on trying to use that much even though I do like the quality of sound that can be got from it - I think I maybe just find it less straightforward to use and it is not very friendly with external pedals the way the Vox LE is.
With a bithday not too far off I am suffering from a bout of non-specific GAS (nasty! :alright: ). Budget is a bit low though - no CyberTwin or classy gear on the horizon unless my lottery numbers come up! I think I may be slowly veering towards a SS amp with line out and decent modelling for clean sounds (like the Mustangs) or maybe an interface that doesn't rely on a PC (like the Boss JS8) or possibly something like the G-DEC that has something of a mixture of both of those. I maybe could do with a SS amp with a good clean unmodelled tone to allow better use of the Vox LE and Boss GT8. However I keep changing my mind every time I look at it all. :angry:

(note to self ... why am I doing this post at 4.30 in the morning!).
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
alaskabluesguy

Post by alaskabluesguy »

Usually a miked Champ (Condenser or SM57) into a Firepod into GarageBand. No post recording effects. Simple because I lack skillage!! :tears: :tears:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh, I'd better clearify, before someone thinks I'm rich. :shy: :icon_whoknows:

The only parts of my setup that I got "new" are the Interaudio speakers connected to my old trusty 20+ year old Onkyo amp that I got for free about 15 years ago,
the Behringer mic preamp (cheap),
my Fender Cybertwin SE ( earned by doing a programming job for the firm in my private time)
and one of my microphones ( Shure PX 58).
Mhh I should add the Okko and most of the cables.

Most of my stuff is bought used, with nothing costing me more than 200 euro.
The trick is to buy and sell while making profit and step ups.

! Songs like leaving spaces have been recorded with only the Cybertwin connected to a pc sound interface (spdif) nothing more.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Mineis like VB's in that is simple, perhaps overly so. Sometimes I will record using my guitar--->amp---->iPhone or iPad mic, or sometimes it will be guitar---->iRig----->My Mac laptop. It depends on how I feel at the time. If I want a more quality recording I will choose the latter, but if I am not so concerned,it will be the for,Er.

I a, sure that I could have a more involved recording rig, but it works for me, and plus I am a bit lazy in that regard. :lol:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

My set up is as simple as my playing A mic in front of the small cab 2X 8" - 1X 12"- 2X piëzo speakers. A Peavey studiopro 50 watt amp 1978. An (older - 3 years) Siemens laptop. The program is Music maker 2007 (get a legal copy from the library for 0.15 euro :thumbsup: :haha: ) A Phonic board usb between the mic and laptop. A small speaker and sub-woofer system to listen to the track while playing plugged in in the Laptop.
Thats all
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

My last child heads out the door to college this fall, so I will inherit his game room and turn it into my music room. It already has his guitar gear, so I am looking forward to starting to record through a mic'ed amp this fall!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Mine is simple:
Axe -> Line6 Toneport -> Audacity (not the best solution for Win7...)
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

I have the Vox Tonelab plugged into the Line In of an external USB souncard,
then Audacity or Audition recording software.

Otherwise the Tonelab can act as an external USB soundcard but the sound
quality is not that good. I have better results with the above set up and Win7.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

vancouverois wrote:I have the Vox Tonelab plugged into the Line In of an external USB souncard,
then Audacity or Audition recording software.

Otherwise the Tonelab can act as an external USB soundcard but the sound
quality is not that good. I have better results with the above set up and Win7.
When I use my Tonelab ST I prefer to use it plugged line out to the Alesis iO2 interface and then into the computer. Like you I feel the sound quality is better than using the STs own interface - and it gives me less recording drop out / buffer error problems etc. The Tonelab LE I have to plug into the Alesis at it has no USB.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

At home; guitar into TonePort, into computer... Audacity. Live... I don't know. I will have to ask PoppaGstring.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"