A Possible Collab

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

A Possible Collab

Post by VikingBlues »

On a recentthread 12bar, Blindboy and Pena all expressed enthusiasm about a collab.

Words were said of keeping it a simple blues. Would this one do - blues in G from Jamtracks.ru. It has space for up to 7 members to let their guitars have a go (around 40 seconds each), I do think this is a BT that encourages lead work and there's some variety in the way the backing sounds on the various iterations that keeps it interesting.

download/file.php?id=1728

If this is not what we're looking for then if members made suggestions on this thread as to a BT we could have a poll / vote to choose.

I'd be happy to do the recording side of things - and if members could post me their guitar only track I can slot them in and we'll keep a better standard of recording sound.

(Hopefully I'll remember to hit the submit button and actually post this thread today - I must have forgotten when I tried yesterday :roll: )
Attachments

Slow Blues G7 BT for Collab
SlowBlues_G7.mp3 - (5.18 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Re: A Possible Collab

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I don't think I will be able to collab with my litle experians but I have a sugestion of a BT. It's similar to the one VB sugest. Here it is.

download/file.php?id=1729
Attachments

Baby Talk Blues G.mp3 - (8.74 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'd be happy to go along with your suggestion Michael - be good to have you in on the project. :thumbsup:
(I quite fancy doing something myself with my suggested BT anyway).

"Baby Talk" is a Lawrence Fritts - so there's no issues of whether we can use it. :D

Anyone else in for this? :icon_whoknows: If there's Michael and me and also 12bar, Blindboy and Pena (who were looking for a collab} there's still another slot.
- oh ..... and any volunteers for that most important final part? :yikes:

There would be:-
to 00:51
to 01:36
to 02:23
to 03:09
to 03:54
to 04:42 (end)
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

VikingBlues wrote:I'd be happy to go along with your suggestion Michael - be good to have you in on the project. :thumbsup:
(I quite fancy doing something myself with my suggested BT anyway).

"Baby Talk" is a Lawrence Fritts - so there's no issues of whether we can use it. :D

Anyone else in for this? :icon_whoknows: If there's Michael and me and also 12bar, Blindboy and Pena (who were looking for a collab} there's still another slot.
- oh ..... and any volunteers for that most important final part? :yikes:

There would be:-
to 00:51
to 01:36
to 02:23
to 03:09
to 03:54
to 04:42 (end)
"Baby talk" is from a course I have so I have purchased it. Youre question make me think if there is some cypyright, but I don't know whom or not whom can use it ???? :think:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:"Baby talk" is from a course I have so I have purchased it. Youre question make me think if there is some cypyright, but I don't know whom or not whom can use it ???? :think:
It's OK Michael. :thumbsup:

The track used to be part of a collection that was available directly from Lawrence Fritts he had a grant with the University of Iowa to develop 80+ blues backing tracks - I have a copy of these track from back then. They were for people to upload and were "free to use without restrictions". Lawrence Fritts stopped making them available in this way when someone else uploaded them and started selling them as if they were their own work. :sad:
Pena

Post by Pena »

I find your BT SlowBlues G7 VB better, but is it decided that it's gonna be Baby Talk Blues G that MR uploaded?
Pena
Last edited by Pena on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
Pena

Post by Pena »

Sorry double post, ment to edit my previous for a typo :oldie:
Last edited by Pena on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBlues

Re: Baby Talk Blues G Collab

Post by VikingBlues »

Hey Pena - I'll bite off more than I should chew here. :D We'll make this thread the 'Baby Talk Blues G' Collab.
I'll open up another thread for a 'Slow BluesG7' Collab later today. So you can do both if you like.

I've received a recording from Choucas on the Baby Talk collab already. That was fast off the mark. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming the Choucas recording is for the first segement and I've put in on my DAW and tried to line it up on that basis. I'll do a recording of me for the second segment this afternnon. If anyone wants to put their names down for the other segments please do so - avoid two people recording for the same segement.

So far:-
to 00:51 - Choucas
to 01:36 - VB
to 02:23 -
to 03:09 -
to 03:54 -
to 04:42 (end) -

It would be best when players send me their guitar part if they can manipulate their DAW so that I get the silence from the beginning of the backing track before their part starts as well as the part they played - that way it should be easy to line up the timing - otherwise I have to guess quite exactly where it fits - if someone is playing off the beat as well as on the beat it's not always obvious where it should sit.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey VB, I'm in! give me what ever time slot you like :)

tytl
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

If I can get access to the computer, and come up with something post-able, I'll send it in.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Pena

Post by Pena »

'How about 3rd for me?
Do I upload only my 12 bars, or the whole BT? Can't remember the procedure, my memory ain't what it used to be... :oldie: ... or maybe it is :icon_whoknows: :lol:
Pena
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Pena wrote:'How about 3rd for me?
Do I upload only my 12 bars, or the whole BT? Can't remember the procedure, my memory ain't what it used to be... :oldie: ... or maybe it is :icon_whoknows: :lol:
Pena
Yep - go #3 Pena. If you just upload your guitar part i can just copy it into a track on my DAW with the BT and choucas and my parts already there. If you can export your recording including the silence from the start until when your playing starts at around 01:36 it'll make lining up your track properly for time more easy.

Does that make sense? The way I would do it is to put the BT on track one of my DAW, record my part on track two in the appropriate time slot, then I'd mute track 1 and do an export to mp3 - this would record track 2 only including the first 01:36 of silence. If this is a problem don't worry - I can play around with sliding your segement around in the DAW until it sounds (to me) as if the timing matches.
tytlblues wrote:Hey VB, I'm in! give me what ever time slot you like :)
Would you mind the responsibilty to go in at #6 to give us the big finish?
Blindboy wrote:If I can get access to the computer, and come up with something post-able, I'll send it in.
If you want to take #5?

So we have (a full list depending on Michael / 12bar / Blindboy):-
#1 to 00:51 - Choucas
#2 to 01:36 - VB
#3 to 02:23 - Pena
#4 to 03:09 - Michael &/or 12bar (can be extended)
#5 to 03:54 - Blindboy
#6 to 04:42 (end) - tytl

I can put in an extra segment by repeating the 02:23 to 03:09 BT part if both Michael and 12bar want to play. I feel that would be fair as both have expressed an interest in doing a collab. Or ... if Blindboy finds a problem in posting in a recording and Michael and 12bar both want to play one of them can end up as #5 - confused? :nuts: ... just keep me up to date guys and we'll organise it as needed.

FWIW here's where we are up to 01:36 with Choucas and VB - it can help to hear what previous players have done. I haven't fully worked on balance / volume levels / abmience at this stage. Though what I should really do first is re-do my segment completely. :wall:
updated for correct choucas recording
download/file.php?id=1733
Attachments

BabyTalk collab_Draft Choucas VB only
Draft_Choucas_VB.mp3 - (1.6 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I'm in! Number 5...
I should be able to get something useable today or tomorrow. :music2:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:I'm in! Number 5...
I should be able to get something useable today or tomorrow. :music2:
Good stuff - look forward to hearing the recording. :D

Tytl's #6 segment now in - I will wait till I have another entry before posting an update.

And we'll need to see what happens on entry #4 (or two entry #4s). :fingerscrossed:

Thanks everyone - keep recording! :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

UPDATE:

So we have:-
#1 to 00:51 - Choucas
#2 to 01:36 - VB
#4 to 03:09 - 12bar
#5 to 03:54 - Blindboy
#6 to 04:42 (end) - tytl

Hope I've got this worked out all right.

If Michael still wants to join in I'll do an extension on the baking track so that there are two run throughs of 02:23 to 03:09 - part#4.

Looking forward to hearing all these different ideas! :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Ok, here goes... should be silence until my part.
Not real happy with what I played, but what can ya do? :wall: I don't have time for endless takes today. :roll:

Here's another take... use whichever one you think works better. :roll:
I haven't tried to do any recording in a while... having trouble getting into the swing of things. :wall:
Attachments

Baby Talk Blues G take two.mp3 - (4.37 MiB)

Baby Talk Blues G take one.mp3 - (4.37 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Ok, here goes... should be silence until my part.
Not real happy with what I played, but what can ya do? :wall: I don't have time for endless takes today. :roll:
Got it!

It seems to have the BT on it too - but no matter - I was able to slice it and take out the same part on the BT on my DAW - can't hear any join.

Fiery playing Blindboy. :clap: :banana:

Interesting the way it starts with Choucas and i being quite mellow and relaxed - and ends with you and Tytl sparking all over the place.

Wonder how Pena and 12bar will tackle the middle? This is where you're building up to guys!
download/file.php?id=1738

I've not paid much attention to balance, stereo mix and fine tuning the sound yet.

#1 to 00:51 - Choucas .......... DONE
#2 to 01:36 - VB .......... DONE
#4 to 03:09 - 12bar
#5 to 03:54 - Blindboy .......... DONE
#6 to 04:42 (end) - tytl .......... DONE
Attachments

End of Draft BabyTalk Collab_Blindboy Tytl
BabyTalk Draft Collab_End_Blindboy Tytl.mp3 - (1.61 MiB)

Pena

Post by Pena »

Had to delete this :sad:
All went wrong with cutting just my 12 bars from the recording of the BT :icon_whoknows:
It had only my guitar and nothing else.
Noob as you know me :big_smile:
Ah well gotto try to do it again .

OK, this should work.
I also added the fumble version too.
Almost messed this post too... :motz: :rofl:
Pena
download/file.php?id=1743
download/file.php?id=1742
Attachments

Baby Talk Blues G #Pena FUMBLE.mp3 - (1.09 MiB)

Baby Talk Blues G #3 Pena.mp3 - (1.07 MiB)

Last edited by Pena on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I didn't even got the time to listen, so don't hurry... :icon_whoknows:

How to record - mixed with BT (better timing) or just guitar alone (better quality)? :think:
Pena

Post by Pena »

12bar wrote:I didn't even got the time to listen, so don't hurry... :icon_whoknows:

How to record - mixed with BT (better timing) or just guitar alone (better quality)? :think:
Used Audacity, and then I tried to cut just my 12 bars... and I did it... no BT came along :lol:
Well, just made a new one, I'll upload it in few secs, I'll also add the fumble one too for laugh and for educational purpose :rofl:
Pena