So Slow Will it Flow Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

So Slow Will it Flow Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry guys - I've been sadly neglecting the blues ... and it is a blues forum ... :naughty: get your act together VB. :motz:

Talk of slow simple blues and a few notes on other threads - hope this is slow enough and few enough notes. At the start you can almost go and make a cup of tea between the notes! :big_smile:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11514391

download/file.php?id=1705 :bb:
Attachments

So Slow Will it Flow Blues in A
So Slow Will it Flow Blues.mp3 - (4.05 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tytlblues

Re: So Slow Will it Flow Blues

Post by tytlblues »

Yup.....theat's some sloooooow blues :high5: :clap: :clap: Fantastic might I add. Really love your vibrato, some real nice double stops in there as well. You may very well have a place reserved down at the crossroads!!

And by the way...went for a cup of coffee instead of tea (yank you know)
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

That sounds excellent, your playing has come on really well. :thumbsup: Especially the start, tasteful note choice and timing, and those long sustained notes with a touch of vibrato really hit the spot!
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

That sounds really good VB, very nice!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

What can I say ? It's allready done in this thred/post. I just agrree with those how allready written :clap:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Nicely done VB

like the tune..... .and the tone too ......just on the very edge of Raspy ...( is that the pedal ? or the Amp ?? )
Like the stacatto partial chords your throwing in towards the end too !
and the BT ?? .....where did that emerge from ??
:thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Oh yeah! :clap:
That's nice! Killer tone, and I love the bent vibrato you're getting now. Also heard some double stops and other stuff I haven't heard from you much before. A bit more edgy than your usual playing. :thumbsup: Your straight ahead blues playing is mighty fine... you should do it more. :cool:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Pena

Post by Pena »

Good stuff VB, well played, relaxing tone, nice vibrato :clap:
You're moving on in giant leaps :music2:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

What can i say more... :icon_whoknows:

It's one of these beautys :music2:

Very great sound and nice playing VB, thanks for posting :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Wow - what a response in less than a day - very grateful to recieve your words of support and encouragement - thanks to all for listening and posting. :thumbsup:

The influence of you guys is gradually taking effect - though I do feel that being a late convert to blues in my early fifties it is not a style/genre that's well enough in my subconcious for me to use my play by ear / feel technique as effectively as I could. But I'll maybe pay heed to Blindboys advice and try playing it more often.
Blindboy wrote:and I love the bent vibrato you're getting now.
The vibrato was mentioned quite a few times - it's been a long time coming. But you'll maybe remember Blindboy who gave me some really good advice about how to play those and how to mix up slow and quick bends too. :wink:
Strummer07 wrote:and the tone too ......just on the very edge of Raspy ...( is that the pedal ? or the Amp ?? )
Blindboy wrote:That's nice! Killer tone
The tone (mentioned by quite a few of you - thanks :thumbsup: ) is a magical balanced mixture of the PRS and those wonderful Tonerider P90s plus compression and the Hardwire CM2 overdrive. It's through a clean (Marshall) amp sim for direct recording through the Vox Tonelab LE. But if I try any of the other guitars through the same settings they don't sound right at all. So I'm afriad they're all gathering dust. The CM2 pedal is the first overdrive pedal I've had where I can stand the sound when things get raspy (if I have the PRS plugged in).
Blackhorse wrote:Especially the start, tasteful note choice and timing, and those long sustained notes with a touch of vibrato really hit the spot!
Perceptive comment that about "Especially at the start". I think I did make a tactical error - I threw all my tricks into the ring in the first minute - so after that where can I go. TBH I lost concentartion a bit towards the end - had to edit two bad notes at the end - CHEAT! :motz: - don't usually do that, but I knew I couldn't do as good a take again for the rest of the piece. The long sustained notes are helped by the compression pedal - and a little use of the volume pedal (more advice gleaned from this forums members).
Strummer07 wrote:and the BT ?? .....where did that emerge from ??
Slow Blues Backing Track in A by John Tuggle (funny that Strummer - you mentioned him to me a few months ago and it didn't register with me it was the same guy as I'd already got some BTs of).
The Backing Track : download/file.php?id=1708
I found it on YouTube here (he has quite a few videos under the "LearningGuitarNow" banner:-
td_lh_NTPiU
Attachments

Slow Blues in A backing track John Tuggle
Slow Blues Backing Track in A.mp3 - (6.08 MiB)

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhh - grows slowly to VB at his best! Playing slow but still with tension... :music2:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Whoa VB :big_smile: , this time you inspired me, to -at least- fetch a 6string and noodle a little.
Great stuff man ! and that tone ! It's giving me GAS :beer:

You were sure leaving spaces, I even tried to fit a couple of notes in, but my mind set was more random :wall: so that didn't work :angry:

Thanks man, I haven't played a decent note in days and you got me noodling again.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys - I've really enjoyed this one. :banana:
12bar wrote:Playing slow but still with tension... :music2:
I think I've picked up a bit of influence (though not licks or skills unfortunately) from watching the Albert King / SRV In Session DVD quite a lot recently - some very imressive slower playing on there but it still has that intensity.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Great stuff man ! and that tone ! It's giving me GAS :beer:

You were sure leaving spaces, I even tried to fit a couple of notes in, but my mind set was more random :wall: so that didn't work :angry:

Thanks man, I haven't played a decent note in days and you got me noodling again.
Glad to have stirred the HBL creative impulses! :thumbsup: The compression has helped with the spaces - I can vibrato those closing notes in a phrase just that bit longer.

I can't stop playing the same chain of pedals to the Tonelab LE which is being left on the one setting - the tone is one that works for bluesy, jazzy, melodic - though I have to use the PRS for it to work. I really ought to try findingthe settings that work for my other guitars as they're gathering dust, but I'm enjoying this too much at the moment.

PRS SE (Tonerider P90s) ---> Marshall Compressor ---> Hardwire CM2 Tube Overdrive ---> EHX Nano Holy Grail ---> Vox Tonelab LE (clean Marshall sim, no fx).

The CM2 pedal is the key component. And it lets me get that raspy edge without losing the light and shade of the sounds of the different picking with the fingers, nails, backs of nails etc - and it reacts really nicely to volume changes.

I'm so glad I got the CM2 when I did - the shop I got it from (and it was the last one in the shop) no longer has Hardwire pedals in stock and nowhere else in Edinburgh stocks the brand. :phew:
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

I really liked that VB, that is the blues. Great feel and tone.