Gain, mids and lows

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Gain, mids and lows

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Alright, VB's done it again.
I just had to play, - or at least try to- play something with the Okko set to Much Lows and mids and... Gain

Josie, Okko and Cybie teaming up.. Cybie felt like having a bit of ducking delay here and there

I'm not going to say anything about my playing this time, preserving white space :wink:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11278768
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: Gain, mids and lows

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm very glad to be the cause of any upload of more of yur music - and this one has gone straight onto the hard drive. :thumbsup:

This is like musical poetry in motion - wonderful melodic touch and as good as any Jan Akkerman I've heard. Played with such a relaxed air but also intense passion, and combining that amount of gain with such a laid back mood .... HOW do you do that???? :icon_whoknows:

The Okko Diablo responds to your playing dynamics beautifully. And that's a very rich sound you have there - whatever the mix of mids and lows - it works damn well. :clap:

I'll just have to see now - has that inspired me .... or turned me into an awestruck spectator?
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

You realy know how to do things. Very relaxed and pleasant to my ears. Smoth and with a bit of warm tone from your guitar. Well done, agin :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Like i sayed, fantastic sound :pray: :thumbsup:
I really like it...

But its not on your soundclick page.???
The official web page i meen....
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks VB :) Didn't think it was any good because of a couple of screw-ups (@Kenworth that's why it's not on my main soundclick page)

How I do it, well I just hang back and go with the mood and flow of the backingtrack. It does depend a little on my mood at the time of playing, but that was quite mellow :D
Why should you be an awestruck spectator ? Listen to Old man of the sea and what you accomplished with that song (PSST 12bar Hall of fame candidate :wink: anyone ?) I got the backingtrack from jamtrackcentral.com (payed)
BTW, a quick one to your pain-gain... stop using 2 cab sims in series at the same time.

@Michael, thanks for the listen and comment :thumbsup:
@Kenworth Thanks, I hope the pictures answer the question you asked on Gitaartabs (no-one is interested there so I'm telling here :haha: )

Here are the Okko's settings for the song :

and of course Cybie's settings (Blackface tonestack and Tweed 2 tube configuration)

To answer Kenworth's question, about my settings and show what the Okko can do with your sound, I created a very rough sample of the same mhh song with both the Okko active and not active.

When looking at my DAW it becomes clear that the Okko compresses the sound a little when set to higher Body and higher gain.
It's the body that handles mids and compression, while Feed controls the input and bass. The Okko is active between the two blue vertical dashed lines.
BTW: I was playing Josie, using the neck pickup, tone full and volume just a touch below 10

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Well, HBL. I don't know how you do to play so well and the sound is great. :clap: :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Though I don't llike to get bogged down in technical detail (honestly - I really don't!) I do find it really instructive to be able to see and hear samples in teh way you've presented them here. Many thanks for that - ,ost helpful.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Thanks VB :) Didn't think it was any good because of a couple of screw-ups (@Kenworth that's why it's not on my main soundclick page)
I'd much rather hear a live performance that sparkles with a few wrong notes in it than a polished note perfect studio recording where all the soull has gone from a piece. That's why I preferthe rehearsal takes of 'Need Your Love So Bad' (PG/Fleetwood Mac) than the final released version. I liked your recording as I can blank out a screw up or two in the joy of the way the rest of the mellow playing just makes my musical taste buds go :drool: .
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Why should you be an awestruck spectator ?
I'll try and make sure it's the inspirational side I take from it rather than this. Your playing of mellow and melodic is very much what the singing inside my head would like my playing to sound like - so it's difficult not to have the jaw drop on hearng your songs.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:BTW, a quick one to your pain-gain... stop using 2 cab sims in series at the same time.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:When looking at my DAW it becomes clear that the Okko compresses the sound a little when set to higher Body and higher gain.
It's the body that handles mids and compression, while Feed controls the input and bass. The Okko is active between the two blue vertical dashed lines.
BTW: I was playing Josie, using the neck pickup, tone full and volume just a touch below 10
It's apparent to the ear that there is a bit of compression when the Okko kicks in - the DAW display shows it very well. BUT - there does still seem to be quite a fair bit of the dynamics showing through - I guess a good overdrive sound comprises both the compression and a large proportion of the dynamics remaining intact. Or at least a good sound to my ears (which I know are out of touch with a lot of popular feeling - eg the ghastly sounds of preset overdrive on multi fx units and the horrible compressed extra loud sounds of new CDs issued during the current "loudness wars".
The profile of your Okko sound on your DAW track doesn't look too dis-similar to my LE DAW on my other thread which is encouraging. The ST sound is far too blocky on the display - which may be partly due to using the DAWS virtual amp to tweak the STs virtual amp and cab - but it needed tweaking as I couldn't get the right sound with just the ST.

BTW - it sounds great in the parts where its played clean too! :thumbsup:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote: @2wheelsofblues Thanks, I hope the pictures answer the question you asked on Gitaartabs (no-one is interested there so I'm telling here :haha: )
Thanks. :handshake:
I wil try to get that rough edge what i was talking about.....
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Tis is one of the most beautiful songs that HBL made.
I meen, thats what i think :big_smile:

So i want to nominate this song for the :HoF:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

2WheelsOfBlues wrote:Tis is one of the most beautiful songs that HBL made.
I meen, thats what i think :big_smile:

So i want to nominate this song for the :HoF:
Just had a quick listen to refresh my memory.

I said earlier in the thread "wonderful melodic touch and as good as any Jan Akkerman I've heard".

This recording would sit proud in the company of the other tracks on any Jan Akkerman CD.

2WOB - you're right - it is beautiful - exquisitely so - I've never heard a guitar shed tears any better than on this. :tears: