Phat cat musings

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Phat cat musings

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey folks, Half blind (& half teethless) lefty on-line once more :wave:

Yup, had surgery performed a little over a month ago to have all the teeth removed from my upper jaw and get me dentures.. Should bring down the inflamations I was suffering from. Besides no more root canal treatments to :chicken: :banana: :dance: I had quite some of that shit going on the last 2.5 years or so.

BTW: after almost 40 years of smoking as preperation to the surgery I also quit smoking November last year. :tease: :roll: :nuts: :wall: :angry: :baby: :snacks: :snacks: :snacks: ( yes still hanging in there)

Time for a present, so I bought me a Seymour Duncan Phat cat that I intended to use in neck position of my Ibanez Artcore Jazz guitar.
Since the Artcore is a bit tricky to change pickups, I decided to mount the Phat cat onto my Avion in order to test it.
Mhh testing I did, I just liked the sound way WAAAY :drool: to much to take the Phat cat out of the Avion again. :naughty:
It's still mounted in the Avion today.

Did some playing, but did not get around to record anything I liked ( Fingertips hurt like :tears: :cry: ) Will have to restart playing regular fast. Once quick short take of something I'm familiar with. It's tha Phat Cat throughout. Amp is my trusty Fender Cybertwin SE

https://soundcloud.com/halfblindlefty/avion-phat-cat

And it looks a bit like : Image
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Phat cat musings

Post by 12bar »

Hi HBL,

great to hear from you again! Hope your teeth problems are gone now... :fingerscrossed:
Congrats to quit smoking - it's never too late (see Eric)! :dance:

It would be nice to hear a before/after side by side. It's always hard to decide how much is amp / how much is PU.

Anyway, holidays are coming, on Friday my annual 1 month guitarless time is starting in Italy again. As much as I'll miss my axes, I'll enjoy the country and the weather! :banana:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

A quick one, I've gotta work
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12823596
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I wish I could (like you) take my guitar to work and play while my instruments are running... :lol:

Anyway, sound is great as always. Has a lot of power even on the softer notes. :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Very good sounds from the Phat Cat! The player and the amp obviously help, but the quality of the pickup seems to be shining through. :clap:

Alnico 2 I believe - correct me if I am wrong! The way it sustains and handles the initial attack of the note sounds very Alnico 2 anyway. Hopefully it should give you a good tone mix when both pick ups are selected.

You must be glad to have got to the end of your teeth problems - hope the dentures experience goes well - congrats on being able to quit the smoking after so many years. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks you Gerd and VB

Teeth issue seem to be dealed with. mhhh :fingerscrossed:
Smoking: An ongoing battle every once in a while, but most of the time I'm good. :dance: Didn't touch one in over 7 months, regardless of the fact that 2 others in our home are still smoking ( makes me stronger somehow) :dance:

Anyway, did some quick takes with the same chord sequence using all three switch positions.

1 - Tokai bridge pickup ( Humbucker) [* Oops, edt]
2 - Middle position
3 - Phat cat P90 - neck pickup

4 ( little lick) middle position

Amp : Egnater with 2, 12" speaker cabinets

switches : Vintage, AC, Clean, Bright, Deep.
No FX apart from the reverb used with the little lick
egnater phat cat settings.jpg
egnater phat cat settings.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 15067 times
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:I wish I could (like you) take my guitar to work and play while my instruments are running... :lol: :

:rofl: :away:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

A great way to hear the difference - the P90 sounds like a dream! :handshake:
Jlev12

Post by Jlev12 »

I have a set of Phat Cat P90's in my Les Paul by Epiphone and I'm so glad I put them in! They sound immensely good! :dance:

This is what my guitar looks like:

MOD EDIT: removed commercial link