Relicking the FrankenStrat

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
Blindboy

Relicking the FrankenStrat

Post by Blindboy »

A number of years ago, back in the late '90s, I ran across what appeared to be a used Strat in a guitar shop. It was one of those guitars that, when you pick it up, just feels alive in your hands, like it could almost play itself. The price tag said over 1000 dollars, but it also said '57 Strat. Even way back then, a '57 Strat went for a LOT more than a grand, even beat up as this one was. I asked the salesman about it, and he got real excited and explained to me all about something called a "Relic". It seems that they took a brand new '57 reissue Strat, sprayed salt water on all the metal parts, dragged it behind a car, and committed other atrocities upon it to make it appear old, then sold it as a "Relic". I said to him, "So I'm paying several hundred dollars extra for the privelege of buying a guitar that someone else has beaten up before I even get ahold of it?" "That's right."
I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it. I would rather put the wear and tear on her myself. I have a Strat that I built up to suit myself, then beat up in the time honered tradition (didn't drag it behind any cars). I, unfortunately, didn't document the building process (it occured before digital cameras were widespread), but I do have current pictures.
001.JPG
001.JPG (186.89 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
This is the beast. A body from a mid '70s Strat, neck from an '83 Strat Elite, all neck mounting screw holes filled and redrilled for four screws (mid '70s had a three screw neck which I don't like), body painted with red automotive paint, aftermarket brass pickguard (which almost fit), neck and middle pickups, and controls from the '70s strat, bridge pickup an aftermarket stacked humbucker, possibly for a Tele, body routed for a Schecter floating trem (which I subsequently disabled with an extra spring). When first completed (in about '89) she was quite shiny.
Then I set about creating a "Relic". I took a long view of the project, the grimy, worn out fingerboard took almost twenty years to get right. I still haven't gotten the proper wear pattern where a players forearm hits the body, but I am working on it.
002.JPG
002.JPG (159.34 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
On to the back... I never put a cover plate over the springs (don't know why, I have it). The paint wear pattern was accomplished by rubbing my belt buckle over it for a number of years. You can see why I painted her red too, I never liked pink. The back of the neck was sanded down before I got it. Whoever did it got a little too enthusiastic and exposed the brace for the double action truss rod. Still works.
003.JPG
003.JPG (189.96 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
Other scuffs and scars were accomplished by variously standing on her, dropping her, and on one occasion, fending off a beer bottle hurled at the stage by an irate, unsatisfied country fan.
This is, of course, meant to be tongue in cheek, and by no means a condemnation of "Relics" and those who love them. For my part, every scar and scuff on the Frankenstrat has a story to tell and a memory attatched. I'm glad that I was the one to put them there. She has given me many years of great music, seen me through many smokey bars, and I will never part with her. :oldie:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: Relicking the FrankenStrat

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice to see the close up shots and the more detailed story. :thumbsup: The name "Frankenstrat" now makes a lot of sense to me.

Wow - 21 years - that's a long term relationship. If I manage that with my strat I'll be ... hmm ... 76. :yikes:

A guitar that's so versatile as to be a bodyguard too deserves to be a "keeper". Although she qualifies on being a "keeper" due to the music she makes with you - qualifies with distinction. :clap:

It's interesting to see how the real wear of quite a lot of years on your Frankenstrat hasn't lead to quite the "damage" on the front of the body that most commercially "reliced" guitars seem to have. I think the manufacturers must rekon that most guitarists sweat acid from their arms.

I too can understand the appeal of the relic look, if done well - like we saw with Bluesblooded's SRV post. But I get put off by the often unconvincing job that's done, and also the nagging feeling that the guitar companies are adding on too much of a mark up for the privilege. Also a few years down the line it might start to get even trickier than it is now to know what guitars are real relics. Bit like the problem of the fake big name guitars being passed off as the real thing. :icon_whoknows:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues wrote:It's interesting to see how the real wear of quite a lot of years on your Frankenstrat hasn't lead to quite the "damage" on the front of the body that most commercially "reliced" guitars seem to have. I think the manufacturers must rekon that most guitarists sweat acid from their arms.
The difference may be that I used automotive paint instead of nitrocellulose laquer. :icon_whoknows:
As for the beer bottle incident, (happened when we refused to play a country tune, didn't know "Rawhide" :big_smile: ) another guy in the audience thumped the cowboy, then climbed onstage and stuck a band-aid on my guitar. I left it on there for years. :tongue:
I agree that Bluesblooded did a fantastic job on his #1 strat, but to me, that is a replica, not a relic.
I hope you do enjoy another 21 years on your new Vikingstrat. You sound good with her, and getting better each time I hear you. :thumbsup: :beer:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That really looks like a true relic... :eye_rub:

My red strat also has this undestroyable paint, but it's still the original one. No scratches so far, although my kids don't take any care of it... :baby:

As for Rawhide - you surely know the BB movie? :big_smile: :bb:
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

BB - I'm having visions of Jeff Healey in the movie Roadhouse playing behind a wire screen to fend off beer bottles and other thrown debris.

Iove your guitar - hope that mine looks similar someday.
bluesblooded

Post by bluesblooded »

I love the look of your guitar BlindBoy. What is so lovable about it, is the fact that it is done overtime with no intention of bringing it this way. It is like us, it is getting older and in some way prettier. It screams experiences. It is in fact a reflection of your accomplishment. I wish someday I will leave behind such a treasure.

Really nicely done. Keep it up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks guys... :shy:
12bar... that is one of my all time favorite movies. The cowboy was hollering for country music, and we were looking at each other, saying "Anybody know 'Rawhide'?"
MojoJim... I have actually played behind chicken wire. No bottles thrown on that gig. Wish there had been wire up that other occasion. :roll:
Bluesblooded... Just find a guitar you love, and play the heck out of it for twenty years... you will have a genuine relic. :big_smile:
I do have a couple of guitars that I try not to scuff up, but the Strat was always a workhorse guitar. I have knocked her about enough that i know how far I can go with her. (I did pull the neck off one time... since I don't use the trem, I will occasionally grab the upper horn in my right hand and bend the neck with my left to simulate a trem dive and got a bit carried away :shy: . The audience, bikers, loved it, I had a spare axe, my old SG, and I fixed the Strat the next day. I am more careful now when I do that. :roll: :naughty: )
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote:since I don't use the trem, I will occasionally grab the upper horn in my right hand and bend the neck with my left to simulate a trem dive and got a bit carried away
:yikes:
I'd never dare to do this with my axes... but reads like a cool thing on stage... :banana:
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

What a great looking guitar!

Every time I bang my strat I cringe, but now I'll just think of the frankenstrat and tell myself that's what I'm working towards...
shaundtsl

Post by shaundtsl »

I would like my jap strat to look like that one day... Although it is already between 20-30 years old (still need to confirm this) it still looks pretty new :roll: .

BlindBoy, that strat has got alot of soul, looks great and is probably priceless in its own right!
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Great pics and story...and memories. :D
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Where and when exactly did the beer bottle incident occur? And, what did this cowboy look like? :away:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

DeaconBlues wrote:Where and when exactly did the beer bottle incident occur? And, what did this cowboy look like? :away:
If memory serves me, it was at a bar called Stellas in a place called Countyline in OK. And the last time I saw the cowboy, he was a bit lumpy. :whistle: :big_smile:

Thanks, SteveB... You're right... good memories. :thumbsup: