interface woes...

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
Blindboy

interface woes...

Post by Blindboy »

Well... My desktop computer died the final death so I bought a dell laptop, which is nice, but it does not work with my Line6 interface doodad. I can't seem to find a software update to get my Line6 to work with my Dell, so I got a Peavey Xport with Revalver... etc. It was not too expensive and seemed to have good amp models. A buddy of mine gave me an older Sony laptop with Windows7 to use as a dedicated music computer, so the Peavey software that came with the Xport (which was for W7) should have worked fine. It sounds like CRAP! Now they want me to buy a registration (after paying for their product!), but they make it damn hard to find where to buy it on their website. :wall: I will keep trying, since I have the damn thing, but I am NOT impressed with the Peavey product. The Line6 was much more user friendly, and if I could find a way to use it instead, I would ditch the Peavey thing in a heartbeat. I may change my mind if they can help me get it going (without spending any more money than I already have!) :motz: :motz:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Blindboy

Re: interface woes...

Post by Blindboy »

I'm really not that comfortable with all this home recording, computer interface, amp modeling, overdubbing stuff. :think: I am just an old school, plug in and play, straight up blues player. I don't even usually use any pedals. :icon_whoknows: I figure that if I can't make it sound good plugged straight into my single channel, custom Fender BJ, then I can't make it sound good at all.
I guess it is all a matter of approach. Some players use the computer and the DAW to craft a sound, others use a modeling amp and pedalboard full of effects. I am just comfortable using different guitars and a couple of tube amps to get the sounds I want. It helps that I am primarily (if not exclusively) a live player.
Ah well... I'm done with my rant. :roll: Either I will get the Peavey doodad to work, or I won't. If I do, y'all will hear some studio sh*t from BB, if not, y'all will see some more Trainwreck vids. :oldie:
Peace out, my brothers! :peace: :peace:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Oh yes, that damn computer problems--- I know them quite well. :wall:
I know that the line6 drivers make lots of problems, but I finally got them to work even with Windows 10 and I'm still using it besides my Tonelab LE.

In case you don't know already:
There's a tool named line 6 monkey which keeps your gear updated. It's free, because the license is bundled with the hardware. However you have to register yourself (which is FREE) in order to use the license manager. Once you're online and logged in via monkey, you'll get the latest drivers plus the POD farm software (the amp). Which version depends on your license. Older ones get Pod Farm 1, newer Pod farm 2.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Dell. BTW you should disable the onboard sound in the BIOS, it might interfere.

http://de.line6.com/software/?submit=Sh ... e+6+Monkey

The only problem with this is the total volume via windows, it does not change the guitar volume. You have to do this either with the knob on the hardware or with the Pod farm.

I've tried Revalver, too, but wasn't satisfied with the sound. I'm not into heavy metal...

A simple USB audio interface (Roland etc.) together with the Tonelab is my other solution. I don't have the space (and money :big_smile: ) for an amp park...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

You have my sympathy Blindboy! Unfortunately I can't offer ant magic solution. :sad:

I spent a long time wrestling with these sorts of problems when I had a Dell laptop running Vista. Eventually I had to settle for a basic USB interface and DAW with the interface having no software, amp simulations etc. So any amps and fx needed to be there for real as they enter the interface or they need to be in the DAW fx software. In a way this suited me because the sounds from so many of these units were geared up to metal and heavy overdrive.

Since I got that basic setup working I've never gone back to trying anything more complicated, even since I upgraded to a much better Desktop PC with the more music friendly Windows 7 because I can't stand the thought of the hassle of trying to get any new damn thing to work. The help and assistance from manufacturers of these things is usually abysmal. I did have an instance recently of trying an alternative interface which didn't work and that screwed up my existing interfaces set up until I went back in and tinkered with its settings. I hate computers for music recording but the alternatives are worse!

On the plus side you have Windows 7 which is still used by most places that make PCs specifically for music making despite more recent versions of windows coming out. They skipped to Win7 from XP and avoided Vista due to its problems.

Good luck with sorting it out. :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!