GAS attack - multi effect pedal

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

Re: GAS attack - multi effect pedal

Post by 12bar »

Thanks - found it in the shipping box. :phew: Before throwing away...
Now it makes sense.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Please excuse the filthy condition of my LE. :shy:
Found the old thread of your LE: :dance:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=954

Really a great toy, can't wait for the holidays to try more than the presets. :music2:
I need a midi adapter to read out the settings and modify/store them on my PC with the LE software. It's way too big for my little desktop but too small to read the letters when it's on the ground. :oldie:

So far most of the settings work way better with my strat rather than the Epi. :think:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:
VikingBlues wrote:So far most of the settings work way better with my strat rather than the Epi. :think:
You should find you can tweak the settings so that they will suit individual guitars better. I ended up with some user made presets that were guitar specific for my P90, single coil and humbucker guitars.
I thought that this maybe showed that more of the real sound of the guitar was being allowed to get through rather than it being 100% a case of the sound being made by the mult-fx unit. Most mult-fx units I've tried seem to override all a guitars natural sound.

I'll admit I never got around to a midi adapter / preset storage thing, but I just haven't got a clue about how midi works!

I've just had a look at that old thread of mine that you linked. It was interesting to hear those old sound clips and to read my enthusiasm about the LE. It's an enthusiasm that stayed with me too - still by far the best multi-fx type of unit I've ever had.

Good luck with yours - hope it works out for you as well as it did for me. :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

No luck with Midi, I borrowed a USB-midi adapter but it says communication error. It's correctly installed, channels checked, cable checked but no luck.
Looks like a Win 10 specific thing...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Yet again the computer connection aspect of making music with guitars falls down! :wall:

I remember I took one look at these references to MIDI stuff in the manual and my head was spinning before I even looked at the pages mentioned:-
4.6 GLOBAL button
Use this button to make pedal, MIDI, or digital output settings.
Press the GLOBAL button and use the √, ®buttons to move through the menu items in the
order shown below. After you have selected a menu item, use value knob 6 or the ▲, ▼ buttons
to adjust the value.
4.7 WRITE button
Use this when you want to save the settings you’ve created (p.26).
4.8 EXIT/TUNE button
Use this to abort a program-write operation or to cancel a GLOBAL setting.
By pressing and holding this button for a longer time, you can activate/cancel the Key Lock
function, which disables operation of the buttons, selectors, and knobs (p.23).
By pressing this button while the name display is indicating a program name, you can activate
the tuner.
EXP INIT: Specifies the expression pedal operation during Program Change (p.48)
MIDI CH: Specifies the MIDI channel (p.51)
PCHG OUT: Specifies the program change message output setting (p.51)
CCHG I/O: Specifies the control change message input/output setting (p.52)
SYEX OUT: Specifies the system exclusive message output setting (p.52)
DUMP CUR: Dumps the current program data from the MIDI OUT connector (p.53)
DUMP ALL: Dumps all of ToneLab LE’s data from the MIDI OUT connector (p.53)
DOUT LVL: Specifies the digital output level. (p.20)

Basically a foreign language to me!

I wish there were stand alone recording devices with as good displays as a computer gives for recording. But there aren't and I have to stick with using a simple PC interface I've used for years and DAW software I've also used for years. I don't have the energy and mental strength to try and change anything anymore. :sad:

On the plus side on the LE I found there were lots of presets I didn't need or want and it was pretty easy to set up a good few I liked grouped together. A notebook was fine for recording the settings on each preset I made in case I ever had a problem and had to do a factory restore. :D

Tweaking things on the fly for another guitar or for using a different pickup I found to be quick and easy. :cool:

Don't forget to keep a check on the output settings - there's a big difference to the sound as a result:-
AP1: Select this if you are using an amp that features a clean sound, such as a US-made
open-back combo.
AP2: Select this if you are using an amp that features a strong and distinctive mid range,
such as a UK-made open-back combo.
AP3: Select this if you are using a stack-type amp, such as a 4x12" closed-back cabinet.
Ln1: Select this if you are using the ToneLab LE S/P DIF OUT connector or connecting a
guitar amp's power amp input or a recorder to a Line output.
Ln2: Select this if you would like to adjust the sound by using the three-band EQ.

You can also find that with a particular preset , say AP2, might work best - but with a different guitar maybe AP1 can be better even if it's the same amp being used. Using an Ln output through an amp or an AP setting through a direct connection can be rather horrible!

I'm sure you've already looked at all these things. But I thought I'd best mention it as I found it to be one of the less obvious items.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:No luck with Midi, I borrowed a USB-midi adapter but it says communication error. It's correctly installed, channels checked, cable checked but no luck.
Looks like a Win 10 specific thing...

Gerd,

I'll check my Midi interfaces with my Win 10 installs and see if they function. (later today)
Frankly, I have saved 2 WinXp systems, one old laptop and a PC for the Cybercommander midi interfacing to the Cybertwin to stay save :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

I really need the holidays, currently not much time to play around. Lots of good tips! :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

For me it works with the Miditerminal M4U I use for my CT (amongst others)
The Gmajor and the PC software see each other just fine.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks!
Miditerminal M4U I - just looked it up :eye_rub:
Not the cheapest one... :whistle:
I'll search a bit if someone controls a tonelab with Win10 as soon as I have some time.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:Thanks!
Miditerminal M4U I - just looked it up :eye_rub:
Not the cheapest one... :whistle:
I'll search a bit if someone controls a tonelab with Win10 as soon as I have some time.
I buy these kind of things "used" in stead of new :) makes quite a difference.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

12bar wrote:Thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

I really need the holidays, currently not much time to play around. Lots of good tips! :clap:
I'm not a psychologist but I think you have to get some rest from youre GAS.

Take care
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Short update on MIDI:
I installed a small program called MIDO-OX to check the signals. It is able to change the presets (without the Vox program!), but it does only send, not receive any data from the tonelab. So I need another midi-interface.

I've also played with the output settings, LN2 seems the best for going directly into the computer.

I will now try to compare tonelab and toneport using the same settings/gear as far as possible.

I found this site which explains the amp models for TLLE:
http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/ad60-1 ... vt188.html

and these are the line6 ones:
http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/ampl ... andeffects
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, here's the Tweed 4x10 Bassman with no other extras, reverb is hall on both. All settings are not tweaked and at 12 o'clock.
Epi with bridge PU, all knobs full open.
Don't care for the noodling, I'm playing next to the Christmas tree with the kids playing and talking to me while I try to record. :xmas_1:

First one, Toneport/Line6 Pod farm:

Tweed_TP_1.mp3 - (1.83 MiB)

Second one: Tonelab LE (LN2 output into PC):

Tweed_TLLE_1.mp3 - (1.51 MiB)

For me there's a clear difference...
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Gerd
The distorted sound from the Tonelab LE is a bit too "sharp" for my taste.
It sounds as the Tonelab starts to distort at a lower level than the Toneport.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks Kalle - yes I had to adjust it a bit better.

Finally I have USB-midi adapter that works out of the box with Windows 10: "E-MU xmidi1x1 Tab". :banana:

I'm now playing with the various settings - still a lot of things that affect the sound.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Yeah, go and have fun !!