Good howto om miking an amp

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Good howto om miking an amp

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Re: Good howto om miking an amp

Post by MichaelRobinson »

This is interesting. Really something to remember.

EDIT; I checked the price of the two microphones that are used around the amplifier. I have not checked the microphone used as a room mic.
Overall, there will be a rather large expense to experiment with the sound of an amplifier speaker.
It remainds me of physics lesson from school.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good post - well worth experimenting with miked up sound from an amp. Though as Michael rightly points out it can be a bit of a cost!

I thought I'd left the wrestling with gear issues behind when I moved to playing mainly acoustic guitar. I'd omitted to pay attention to just how huge a difference microphone permutations and placements make to an acoustic guitar sound.

I've been getting into the stereo microphone thing now as it seems to have a major effect on sound - much more so than seemed to be the case for me in miking an amp. And YES -it is costly! It's a shame that the sound from built in pick ups on acoustic guitars are generally so crappy - the only ones that for my ears compete with good microphones are very costly (especially when needing one for each guitar and including the cost of expert installation).

I wish I could stumble across a video that had some good sound samples of some phasing that has a bad effect on acoustic guitar sound. There's plenty of videos that talk about the theory and I've heard the effect of 100% out of phase (silence). I don't seem to be able to produce sounds for myself that make me think "that's obviously badly out of phase" because I don't know what that sounds like. I have also seen it said that some degree of phasing can be beneficial to the sound of acoustic guitar.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi VB
As long as as the stereomics are positioned fairly close to each other (typical in a XY position) there will be no out phase problem.
I guess that a typical out phase problem will just cancel out/reduce certain frequencies and not everything..
And as you say , it can be beneficial in some cases.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden