New bass guitar

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
MichaelRobinson

New bass guitar

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Today, Friday, I picked up my new guitar. It is a bass guitar with through-neck. The neck then goes through the entire body and is one with it. I think it's a good build. In it sits a battery-powered amp if you want to get some extra volume out of it. Turn it up to dist is no problem.

The funny thing is that my right hand technique was already in me. Now I just need refine that part. The hard part is left hand. It is the distance between the frets that makes a lot of practice to be done with the hand. I need to stretch more with the hand, and it does so far hurt.

Learn to play slap will come when I learned more about the fretboard notes, if I ever do.

The Brand is not a famous brand, as I understan it. The brandname is Woodo and the model B4 ebony. Here you can take a look at it and listen to it..http://www.woodoguitars.se/products/Woo ... oduct.html

Cheers
VikingBlues

Re: New bass guitar

Post by VikingBlues »

Congrats on the bass Michael! :thumbsup:

The fretting hand will take a bit of time to adjust - try not to overdo it in the early stages and strain anything. They certainly look good and those clips you linked show a good quality clean sound.

Enjoy! :cool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Not that I have auditioned a lot of guitars and have a few to compare with but this Woodo base has low string height and is easy to play.
If the batteries inserted in the guitar is fresh I do not know. The batteries for the small preamp, that is. It follows that I do not know if I can get more of it.

I'm new to bass so I can't realy tell what's a good or bad bass, but my impression is that this is a good one.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Michael
You got a new Woodo bass, it is really on my "GAS" list.
But I am still playing my trusted Yamaha RBX 270 bass.
If you want a good Bass playing learning book, I can recomend this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159257 ... 1592573118.
It is teaching not only the practical aspects on bass playing , but also some music theory in a simple ( easy to understand) way.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Not that I have auditioned a lot of guitars and have a few to compare with but this Woodo base has low string height and is easy to play.
If the batteries inserted in the guitar is fresh I do not know. The batteries for the small preamp, that is. It follows that I do not know if I can get more of it.

I'm new to bass so I can't realy tell what's a good or bad bass, but my impression is that this is a good one.
If it has low string height and is easy to play that would make it a good bass in my books! But yes, it's a very different beast to tackle than a guitar. Good luck with the instrument - enjoy! :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Thanks VB.

Somehow, I think it was easy to pick up the bass and start groping for the bass line. Maybe I've played one or two hours base and find it easier to learn than regular guitar. I think it's easier to find bass lines that work. Staggers forward. Something floating, I have not yet. But still, it's easier than regular guitar.
Kalle recommended a textbook on bass. It is out so therefore I have it under guard at the seller so I get an email when it is in stock again.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Michael
The Bassplayers best friends among notes are the ; Root note , fifth and octave.
I.e. the same notes as in a power chord.
These notes can be played over all types of chords and sound good.
Mixing them in a rythmic way in 1/4 notes and 1/8 notes over a chord structure will sound very good.
If you listen to the bassplaying in many rock and blues songs you will find that most of the time these 3 notes are played in a smart way.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
MichaelRobinson

Kalle wrote:Hi Michael
The Bassplayers best friends among notes are the ; Root note , fifth and octave.
I.e. the same notes as in a power chord.
These notes can be played over all types of chords and sound good.
Mixing them in a rythmic way in 1/4 notes and 1/8 notes over a chord structure will sound very good.
If you listen to the bassplaying in many rock and blues songs you will find that most of the time these 3 notes are played in a smart way.
/Kalle
Theory do I fix nothing. I only listen inwardly and outwardly and get together an as yet faltering bassline. It is a little far between the strings to really get going, I think. For some reason I hear and have been much easier for bass than for regular guitar. That's it. Do not ask me why because I have no answer.