DIY Pick-up winding.

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
ElMano

DIY Pick-up winding.

Post by ElMano »

After a period of collecting materials, reading about it, and watching You tube i stripped an old sawing machine to the bone and putting some parts together
And a hugh pile of bis and peaces left :lol:

The result so far

You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
12bar
Site Admin

Re: DIY Pick-up winding.

Post by 12bar »

You're a true craftsman! :thumbsup:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

No i am a hobbyist whit to much time :mercy: :mercy: To day i struggle whit 2 things 1e the counter works on a magnet from a bicycle speed meter but the counter react to slow on the impulse When the speed is slow he counts the rounds, but when speeds up (and that's is needed for winding about 70000 rounds) the counters don't work. :yikes:

The 2e problem to solve is keeping the bobbin on place but that is quit simple to solve. The other things to do is fine tuning fore guiding the wire between the bobbin's and fix templates( steel ) for the bobbin's to made them so they will fit in standard guitar's
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

My brain hurts just trying to understand how you can do this! :eye_rub:

Hobbyist? ... maybe! But I'm continually amazed by what you can get from things that most people would probably throw away. :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I solved the problems whit the counting :dance: After all the solution was simple, but i start building a switch that was open and closing like a camshaft. It works but when the speed was to high the counter stopped, and the noise was horrible (rattling) And then the EUREKA :think: :aha: moment was there. I connect 1 wire to the frame, and 1 on a strip that was permanent in contact whit the wheel.
3/4 of the wheel isolated whit duct tape and 1/4 stay blank.
Bit by bit is shorten the tape so the counter has enough time to give the signal an disconnect.

Made a kind of test run whit a dummie pickup and it works fine. The next thing to do is made steel templates for the pick up bobines for drilling and shape.

vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Very good and smart! :clap: :thumbsup:
Are you going to wind strat pickups?
Jan 15th 2007
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

As a start i want to wind a couple of strat Pup's. beside that i have a name in building bass guitars and CBG's so the need to made some custom wind 1. 3. 4, 5 and 6 string pups is there. I all so build some custom Mic,s for singing and blues harp made out of wood for example. So i like to be able to wind the elements for that to. I an curious where itix some ends up. But to start i like to fix some special edition strat pups. It is just like the building of the melobar and other builds that i wanna be able to give my ELM's ( Elmano Low Budget Manufacturing) there own voice.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Good start! I am very curious about the Strat PUs and scatterwinding.
I've also read that one of the secrets is to pot briefly but enough to keep a good tone without loosing the magic of the winding.
http://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2014/ ... #more-2237
Jan 15th 2007
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Thanks for sharing this link Lolar Pups belong to the top as far as i know! I have seen a couple of technics for potting. I have a several idea's about that, and for the coating of the magnets to. I am looking for a (web) store where i can order the right wire. 45AWG for a start an to pick up some experience. But 34 AWG is the needed standard. 1/10 thinner wire give 100% more resistance and it aloud you to do more rounds on the same coil.
But it is like a hair and it will break easily and start the winding very slow and smooth.