Thumb Pick Experiment

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Thumb Pick Experiment

Post by VikingBlues »

As a result of my awakening interest in playing acoustic I'm looking at giving a thumb pick a go - but not finger picks. Ideally I'd like to use thumb plus fingers but an issue with skin condition on the end of the thumb prevents this. :sad:

OK - I could do flat pick and fingers, but it reduces the available fingers for playing by 25%, and the act of gripping the pick also causes a degree of muscle tension which does not help already slow playing.

I took on board how a lot of the commonly sold thumb picks in guitar stores are not the best bet. Often thick and large and have a plastic finish that also weakens too much over time at the spine - resulting in a rotating pick! :wall:

I've opted for a few Fred Kelly slick picks to start with and am waiting for them to arrive. Mostly Delrin material which is apparently strong with a soft and natural sound. It looks to have the advantage that a snug fit is quite achievable and when gripped with the index finger too it can be used like a flat pick for up and down picking. Quite a round shape to the "paddle" rather than sharp / pointed. The paddle is not as thick as the rest of the pick that wraps round the thumb, so the pick is flexible where it needs to be and strong where it needs to be. Makes sense to me. :icon_whoknows:

I've taken on board a hint of playing with the thumb parallel to the strings. Also noted that it's possible to file down the paddle if I find it too long.

As to position of the band of the pick on the thumb it appears to be a case of try and see - I've seen strong recommendations for on the nail and also above the nail from people that know what they're doing. I'm guessing, as usual with so many things guitar, it's a personal taste thing.

Does anyone here use a thumb pick? I'd be grateful for any hints / tips and things that are a must do or a big no-no. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Thumb Pick Experiment

Post by 12bar »

Playing fingerstyle only I've tested several thumbpicks - without success. I even pimped up a thumbpick by gluing a flatpick onto it, but like with regular picks I simply don't get the right feeling for the strings.
So I decided once and for all to use my fingers only...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:Playing fingerstyle only I've tested several thumbpicks - without success. I even pimped up a thumbpick by gluing a flatpick onto it, but like with regular picks I simply don't get the right feeling for the strings.
So I decided once and for all to use my fingers only...
Which is quite a common story I've seen in my research so far.

I'm pretty sure I recall trying thumb-pick and possibly finger picks many years ago and they were big and bulky, uncomfortable, very plastic, and not great for sound. :sad: But I've an incentive to give it a proper try this time - the splits in the skin that regularly appear at the end of the thumb do not go well with plucking at metal strings! :yikes:

I've now had a couple of nights to try the Fred Kelly Slick Picks on the acoustic(s). I got two light gauge picks made of delrin, one medium made of delrin and one medium poly.

The light gauge delrin is the best of those for me - which is what I was expecting and was why I got two of them. I'm very surprised at how comfortable and natural they feel. :D I've only done some fairly basic styles of playing with it but I have to keep it basic as it's not my usual sort of playing. I've probably been hitting as many wrong notes with my fingers as my thumb in these tests, which gives me hope. It also seems to be quite easy to also grip this type of thumb-pick with the index finger and use it like a flat pick with up and down strokes.

My choice of these Slick Picks was partly down to them having a more rounded end to the paddle instead of being pointy. I got two of the delrin lights so I would be able to try filing one of them down to see if that helps - if I use a flat pick I usually only have a small part of it showing 'twixt thumb and finger. The length of the paddle doesn't seem too bad when just used as a standard thumb-pick, but it does seem a bit long when held in the style of a flat-pick. Delrin is supposed to be much longer lasting and stronger than plastic - which I believe tends to weaken over time where it curves round the thumb and end up swivelling round on impact with the strings.

No sounds recorded as yet.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

After a week I can confirm the Thumb-picks seem to be a success. :beer:

It feels more natural to me than a flat pick to me! Not at all what I was expecting. But it'll help in expanding the use of my Tanglewood acoustic.

Proof of the pudding ..... in a variety of, for want of a better word, styles :-
download/file.php?id=2665
Attachments

Thumpick Test - Fred Kelly Delrin Slick Pick.mp3 - (4.79 MiB)