SpiderCapo

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

SpiderCapo

Post by VikingBlues »

Anyone else tried one of these? :icon_whoknows:
spider_capo.jpg
spider_capo.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
I've tried open alternative tunings before. Love the sound. OK for the chord played with all strings open and the basic finger across all the strings for basic chords - but very difficult to learn where all the notes are and what other chord shapes are needed. :eye_rub:

The SpiderCapo means you can have an open alternative tuning without retuning the guitar AND apart from those notes that the spider capo is holding down all the chord shapes higher up the fretboard are the same as usual, and all the notes on the fretboard are in the same places as usual.

I've only had a brief try, but it seems soooo much easier to create something because of this. :cool: I've recorded a simple example on the Tanglewood TW45 acoustic (condenser microphone) - a rare outing for it onto a recording. The Spider has legs down on the 2nd frets on the 5th, 4th and 3rd strings. So it's rather like the DADGAD only a tone higher - EBEABE. I only needed to remember 3 chords - the I chord with either 0, 1, or 2 fingers needed, the IV chord with just 1 or 2 fingers needed, and the V chord with just 1 finger needed. The rest of it was picking out notes that would work in E and playing around with the "open" strings.

Last time I did DADGAD open tuning was over 2 years ago, and I've hardly done open tuning at all since then. This recording was done after maybe 20 minutes from first putting the SpiderCapo on and trying it out.

GREAT FUN!!!!!!!! :banana:

download/file.php?id=2633
Attachments

Tanglewood - SpiderCapo - Mic'd recording
01 Tanglewood Acoustic Guitar Miked Recording Test.mp3 - (3.54 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Re: SpiderCapo

Post by vancouverois »

Good sound with this capo, inspiring.
I guess it's something to try out, thanks for posting! :music1:
Jan 15th 2007
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

For something that looks like a glueclamp or an instrument a Dentist would use it seems to work darn well for open tunings and you :)
I like the sound and playing in your demo, inspiring stuff.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Guys! :D

Odd how such a little piece of "gear" can get me playing in such a different way. Certainly boosted my interest in acoustic too.

I've done another try with a different tuning tonight - after about 15 minutes checking it out I tried recording an improv.

download/file.php?id=2643
Spider Capo Am tuning
Spider Capo Am tuning
02 Spider 505505 tuning.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
The leaflet with the Capo suggested an open E string for this tuning but I preferred bringing the leg down at the 5th fret for a double string bottom A note. Nice and resonant! :cool:
Attachments

Spider Capo Am tuning Improv Tanglewood TW45
02 Spidery Amin.mp3 - (3.47 MiB)

MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Now I have bought me a spider capo. It is a fun and easy thing that you could benefit greatly from. One need not being world champion to use it. One can easily improvise songs. That's not the world's best songs but creating something on your own.
I can recommend everyone to try such a spider capo.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I must have missed your post all those months ago. How did you get on with the Spider Capo Michael?

I realised at the weekend I'd not used mine for months, and had never used it on the Lowden.

So I had a go with it at the weekend - with its legs down at the 2nd fret on the 1st,2nd, 5th and 6th strings and the Lowden in standard tuning. Played without fretting any notes the Spider gives very much a flavour in the Spanish-y / Phrygian / Flamenco-ish territory. Did 20 minutes or so playing around checking where some good note combinations might be to fit that sort of sound and hit the record button later that day - concentrating on those Phrygian scale notes! This was take 2 of 2 - deliberately starts slow to try to let the listener tune in to the mode.

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13141416

I'd forgotten how much fun the capo was - just perfect for improvisation - it was a happy VB playing this. :dance:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Well, VB
I do not feel good to admit that I have not used my capo at all in many months. I have not had thoughts of it whatsoever.
Now I have Guitar synth and you can use it as if you tuned the strings. I believe of course it not can work fully as capo can.
I feel bad about not use my capo.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Well, VB
I do not feel good to admit that I have not used my capo at all in many months. I have not had thoughts of it whatsoever.
Now I have Guitar synth and you can use it as if you tuned the strings. I believe of course it not can work fully as capo can.
I feel bad about not use my capo.
You shouldn't feel too bad Michael. The gear to use is the gear that makes you creative and want to play! :thumbsup:

It's just a shame it's so difficult to tell what will make you be creative in music before you've actually bought it and tried to live with it.
It would be a very good guide otherwise .... for example "should I get a tube amp, solid state amp or hybrid amp"? to which the answer is "get which amp makes you want to be creative and play".