Strat Project Diary

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Re: Strat Project Diary

Post by VikingBlues »

drockadam wrote:Beautiful colour on that Strat! It's going to be amazing looking! Are you going to go maple neck or rosewood?
Sorry to rain on the parade Drockadam after your enthusiastic words but as I suspected in my post last Thursday the purchase of this strat body has come off the rails. :sad: The seller it turns out is not just "rather poorly" as his wife put it when I phones, but is now "seriously ill" in hospital. With the various circumstances I have had to call off the transactions in the interests of the sellers family as much as anything.

The main concern really is I hope the seller makes a good and speedy recovery.

So, I'm looking again and currently waiting for some info from another seller on compatibility of some parts including a possible body. I might have difficulty finding one that looks that good but I can't see most of the guitar when I play it so quality of playing I suppose is the most important thing.

In answer to your and to Lefty Blues question on the neck Blindboy is trying to do something on a neck for me and he has said that would be a maple fingerboard. To be honest I'm happy with maple or rosewood on a guitar, I've never been one of those who hears a great difference in tone and I find the neck shape and finish has more effect on my happiness with the playability of a neck. The colour of the fretboard does have an influence over choices of body and pickguard colours of course.

Weelie - thanks for your comments about shims - it's good to hear first hand experience. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

That's too bad. I find that I've always liked maple necks better, I can't tell a major difference in tone. But, I love the feel and shape of a nice V neck Fender Strat.
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:
drockadam wrote:Beautiful colour on that Strat! It's going to be amazing looking! Are you going to go maple neck or rosewood?
Sorry to rain on the parade Drockadam after your enthusiastic words but as I suspected in my post last Thursday the purchase of this strat body has come off the rails. :sad: The seller it turns out is not just "rather poorly" as his wife put it when I phones, but is now "seriously ill" in hospital. With the various circumstances I have had to call off the transactions in the interests of the sellers family as much as anything.

The main concern really is I hope the seller makes a good and speedy recovery.

So, I'm looking again and currently waiting for some info from another seller on compatibility of some parts including a possible body. I might have difficulty finding one that looks that good but I can't see most of the guitar when I play it so quality of playing I suppose is the most important thing.

In answer to your and to Lefty Blues question on the neck Blindboy is trying to do something on a neck for me and he has said that would be a maple fingerboard. To be honest I'm happy with maple or rosewood on a guitar, I've never been one of those who hears a great difference in tone and I find the neck shape and finish has more effect on my happiness with the playability of a neck. The colour of the fretboard does have an influence over choices of body and pickguard colours of course.

Weelie - thanks for your comments about shims - it's good to hear first hand experience. :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQffNqkx ... re=related

Here's a good example of the difference in tone between the two necks
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

LeftyBlues wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQffNqkx ... re=related

Thanks for the link LeftyBlues - it is a good illustration. I think this one showed something very similar in the character of the two necks too.
[youtube]VH9o9AvAsCM[/youtube]

I think I fall into the camp of those who say they like the sound of both, and I suspect there is a quality of playing needed to make the difference as obvious, Whether I would consider going to the extent of having one of each is a different question!
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:
LeftyBlues wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQffNqkx ... re=related

Thanks for the link LeftyBlues - it is a good illustration. I think this one showed something very similar in the character of the two necks too.
[youtube]VH9o9AvAsCM[/youtube]

I think I fall into the camp of those who say they like the sound of both, and I suspect there is a quality of playing needed to make the difference as obvious, Whether I would consider going to the extent of having one of each is a different question!
haha one of each, that would be a dream. Despite not owning a strat worthy of being called a strat, I actually despise my squier. I never realized how bad quality it is until I started playing Epiphones and other brands. Next big purchase might be a used mexican strat. I like the maple necks cause I feel that they're brighter and the finished fingerboard is easy to clean, also feels good too.
weelie

Post by weelie »

LeftyBlues wrote: Here's a good example of the difference in tone between the two necks
Nice to see a good example of a comparison, as most factors are the same for both guitars.

Personally I love the look of maple, and it begs to be played clean and I'd choose low output pickups (or I have *always* chosen, I should say). For overdrive, I think maple necked strat sounds thin, harsh or something, not smooth or fat. For cleans, the slaps and pops on maple are great... but the neck can be hard to handle, slippery or sticky.

I like light weight guitars, so if I were to buy a body now, I'd take GFS pawlonia bodies, as they are veryl light and have a low price tag. But I must add I have never bought anything from GFS, so I am not vouching for their service. You already said you rather go for local stuff, which certainly is good idea!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry weelie - I missed your post on this thread there.
weelie wrote:Personally I love the look of maple, and it begs to be played clean and I'd choose low output pickups (or I have *always* chosen, I should say).
Played clean - that's me. :thumbsup:
weelie wrote:I like light weight guitars, so if I were to buy a body now, I'd take GFS pawlonia bodies, as they are veryl light and have a low price tag. But I must add I have never bought anything from GFS, so I am not vouching for their service. You already said you rather go for local stuff, which certainly is good idea!
With GFS the prices look extraordinarily good, but delivery to the UK does double the price of a body, and would make any issues with problems that much more complicated to sort out. Though maybe no more complicated than E-Bay!!! :wall:

So - body wise I'm about to pull the trigger on a UK body - watch this space. I'm going to avoid using E-Bay as far as possible for the rest of this project - two problem transactions in a row, and one probably at least 10 days off being resolved money-wise. :roll:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:So - body wise I'm about to pull the trigger on a UK body - watch this space.
Well - I 'm hoping that's the body choice sorted - it's a long established legitimate business so I'm trusting this time no wheels are going to fall off on the purchase. :thumbsup:

I've gone for a body that needs to be finished and I'm hoping to be able to do a natural finish, clear or tinted, maybe even something like tru-oil, if the wood grain is good enough. At my request a "nice grainy one" has been picked out. :clap:

One Hand Made in the UK, High Grade Natural, Oiled and Waxed, One Piece (!) Ash Stratocaster Body.
Routed for 2 3/16" Neck Pocket and a 47mm Deep Trem Block. So full size.

Yes, I'm quite excited. :banana:
Strat Body - Ash
Strat Body - Ash
OnePieceFrontAshStrat.jpg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 17022 times
It's a bit of a blank canvas and requires drilling for Neck, Trem and Wiring. It says "May require a little sanding to get everything perfect, nothing too serious". The weight is approx 2.3kg (5 lbs) which is fine - as it is Canadian Ash it's at the lighter end of the scale for hard ash so it shouldn't be too dense.

I'm well aware with it being Ash that has an open grain so a good amount of prep has to be done to ensure the grain is filled - thanks for an earlier comment to put me wise about this Blindboy. :D Though I believe the hard Northen Ash isn't as open pored as the southern soft swamp ash. I think I will need to make sure my eventual pick up choice is good on mids as I believe with this body there is a bias to bright tone.

I will wait to get the delivery before I think too much about the type of finish - depends what the particular specimin looks like - the above picture is just one sample of the batch they had. Obviously the any colour scheme would need to fit in with the maple fretboard of the neck too. :icon_whoknows:

The seller has recommended a bridge / trem that has 57mm (2 7/32") string spacing, which is US Fender size. But I notice all 3 of my existing guitars have around 54mm. This 54mm size is also an option for a strat bridge - I am tempted to go for the 54mm as it will feel the same for my right hand fingers playing the notes, and also it gives less chance of strings erring too near the edge of the neck fretboard and falling off the side when played. :icon_whoknows:
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:I think I will need to make sure my eventual pick up choice is good on mids as I believe with this body there is a bias to bright tone.
Maybe a clapton mid boost?
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

It looks like a nice body!

I have an '88 strat with the modern string spacing and if I had to choose between the two, I would have
a preference for the vintage string spacing.

When I modified my P90 Tele, I replaced the hardtail bridge by a GFS vintage strat tremolo bridge.
The original hardtail bridge was a bit offset, so I couldn't rely on its placement on the body.
I have drawn an axis of symmetry from the neck to the body and used it as a reference to place
the bridge correctly. Then you can check the string alignment like in the pic below.

The hardtail had a 54mm string spacing but I didn't have any problem with the wider string spacing of the
vintage tremolo bridge. Finally the two E strings only sit 1.5mm closer to the upper/lower edge of the fretboard.
I guess that a well aligned neck/bridge and a well cut nut is the trick here.

I suppose Fender went for 54mm to ease the neck/body alignment tolerances on their mass production guitars.

Jan 15th 2007
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

it's all coming on VB !!

having started off with that sensational brilliant "Ferrari Red" body :drool: .......I would be finding it a tough call to opt for a "Natural" look now I think.

Choices choices ............decsisions ..decsisions !! :icon_whoknows:

Why not just build two ??....small 2nd mortgage ?? :big_smile:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

LeftyBlues wrote:
VikingBlues wrote:I think I will need to make sure my eventual pick up choice is good on mids as I believe with this body there is a bias to bright tone.
Maybe a clapton mid boost?
Hadn't thought of that one - interesting idea - thanks LeftyBlues! :thumbsup:
vancouverois wrote:The hardtail had a 54mm string spacing but I didn't have any problem with the wider string spacing of the
vintage tremolo bridge. Finally the two E strings only sit 1.5mm closer to the upper/lower edge of the fretboard.
I guess that a well aligned neck/bridge and a well cut nut is the trick here.

I suppose Fender went for 54mm to ease the neck/body alignment tolerances on their mass production guitars.
Thanks for that info and the picture vancouverois. I'm not decided on this and will think more about it, but I know I am influenced by what I am accustomed to on my other guitars. I'd err towards playability at the expense of authenticity if necessary. :icon_whoknows:
Strummer07 wrote:it's all coming on VB !!

having started off with that sensational brilliant "Ferrari Red" body :drool: .......I would be finding it a tough call to opt for a "Natural" look now I think.

Choices choices ............decsisions ..decsisions !! :icon_whoknows:

Why not just build two ??....small 2nd mortgage ?? :big_smile:
I do like the look of natural wood so it's made it not too painful for me Strummer - of my three guitars the Hagstrom has a good grain, and there is quite an apparent grain showing on my Tokai, but my Tele copy I'm not so keen on the finish - it has no grain and although I like butterscotch among the various solid colours, I do find them not "me". :icon_whoknows:
Strummer07

a colour option to cogitate !!

Post by Strummer07 »

VB

here's a thought

Some while back I had a rather pretty PRS Soapbar SE (P60's) in translucent Cherry ( Gone regretably to fund my US Strat )

So you could see the grain through the colour

Another possibility to cogitate .........decisions decsions !!

Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: a colour option to cogitate !!

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:VB

here's a thought

Some while back I had a rather pretty PRS Soapbar SE (P60's) in translucent Cherry ( Gone regretably to fund my US Strat )

So you could see the grain through the colour

Another possibility to cogitate .........decisions decsions !!
Thanks Strummer. That's very similar to the grain showing through on my Tokai "Les Paul Custom". So, yes I'm considering a finish which has colour but is not solid - possibly waterborne finish ... then again maybe not. All very confusing. :big_smile:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

I know VB

I used to be decisive once.....................now I'm not so sure !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: Strat Project Diary : The Body Arrives

Post by VikingBlues »

At last - Step 1 - something arrives. :banana:

1 Ash body - unfinished. Nice and grainy as promised - will need a wee bit of sanding, and very definitely grain filling (with it being ash that was a given). The it's "just" a case of deciding the type of finish .. clear, tinted, opaque, solid, water based laquer, oil based, etc, etc. All I know is I'm keen to avoid the health issues of some of the finishing options.
100_2574s.jpg
100_2574s.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 16995 times
100_2575s.jpg
100_2575s.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 16995 times
100_2576s.jpg
100_2576s.jpg (39.82 KiB) Viewed 16995 times
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Whoopee !!

a fine hunk of wood there !! :thumbsup:

I feel an Elvis......... "Hunka Hunka" ...........Solid Wood moment coming on !!

No !! :naughty: .....I shall restrain myself !!

Decent finish too ....but I can see many happy hours of sanding and grain filling ahead !!

When does the fretboard unit arrive ??
Gary Moore 1952-2011
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

That body looks so "woody" that I would believe you if you told me that you cut the wood yourself. It looks really natural and authentic. I would vote for a 2 tone sunburst with the brown showing the grain.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Hey VB, did you get my latest PM? I am running into trouble sending the neck... UPS wants $150 which is WAY too much! I am still trying to find an affordable way to send it, but you may be better off looking locally. Sorry :cry: :shy: :motz: :alright:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Hey VB, did you get my latest PM? I am running into trouble sending the neck... UPS wants $150 which is WAY too much! I am still trying to find an affordable way to send it, but you may be better off looking locally. Sorry :cry: :shy: :motz: :alright:
:thumbsup: Hey there Blindboy - no worries at all - I know from queries I've had from other European countries about transport costs when I've been selling stuff on e-bay how expensive it can be to transport even just within Europe, particularly when it's a large package. At that sort of price level you're right - it stops making sense. It was a much appreciated offer, but i think you'll probably be hitting your head of a brick wall :wall: ... :big_smile: trying to pursue it further. It's a huge reduction you'd be looking for and it's unikely you'd find it (unless it's a carrier that specilises in really cheap prices due to their ability to get things wrong and lose packages all over the world!). So I'd be happier that you concentrate your time and energies in the collabs and posting your own pieces of music here - I'm always looking forward to the next posting of yours.

I have in the past looked at places like GFS where parts appear very cheap, but I then add their postage rates on for them to get the stuff to me in the UK, and suddenly they're not competitive any more.

I think the PM has disappeared into the ether (or maybe ethernet :lol: ) as it's not showing up in my messages box. So thanks for the post on here to let me know. I've got no shortage of options for buying a neck here - I'll quite possibly look at getting one from the same place as I get the body - to get a better chance of a good fit combination. I really must get on with decisions on this project - I've decided to go with a natural wood look for the body, but I'm currently stuck at deciding on scratchplate colours, despite printing off a load of big colour prints of scrtchplates on A4 to physically compare to the wood colour I still can't make my mind up.

My sincere thanks for the offer though - it was a very generous thought. :thumbsup: