Albert king guitar effects.

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
kiwiclapton

Albert king guitar effects.

Post by kiwiclapton »

Hi guys, what effect or effects did Albert King use when he did the In Session gig with SRV?

Cheers, oh RIP SRV, 22 years, seems just like yesterday.
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
VikingBlues

Re: Albert king guitar effects.

Post by VikingBlues »

kiwiclapton wrote:Hi guys, what effect or effects did Albert King use when he did the In Session gig with SRV?
Wish I knew this one too - one of my favourite music DVDs.

What I have found, generally about Albert Kings gear is sort of vague to begin with. Typical of what is usually said - on the Gibson site this one -
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/P ... -best-422/
what is said in that link makes me think ths might be a very difficult question to answer!
Particularly noting where it says-
"The cornerstones of King’s cutting sound were his gear and his unconventional technique. Like most innovators from the evolutionary decades of electric blues, King pumped his Vs through almost every imaginable amplifier at various times, for experimentation and convenience. The list includes towering Sun head-and-stack combinations, Ampegs, Rolands, Lab Series and Fenders. One of his most blistering and consistent rigs was his late ’70s set up. At that point King was living up to his already well-established legend with the help of an MXR Phase 90 phase shifter pedal (hey, it was the ’70s!) and either a Roland JC-120 or an Acoustic 270 head with an Acoustic 2x12 cabinet. Both solid state, of course, proving there’s more to tone than tubes."

But also - unattributalbe, but I've seen on a forum this comment:-

I asked Albert's guitar player Carl Weathersby once about the phaser thing. He told me that Albert never plugged into any effects unit. That is was something with the Roland amp that he used. His tech did something and it gave it that sound, Albert liked it and had a couple other amps done that way. He didnt know what he did, but we was 100% confident that Albert never used a phaser or any other pedal.

So there you are - he was and he wasn't using a phaser! :roll:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
kiwiclapton

Re: Albert king guitar effects.

Post by kiwiclapton »

Thanks for the info.

Had a look at a couple of sites on the net last night.

Sounds like a phaser to me.
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.