Tuning for 8-String Lap Steel Blues

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
ElRay

Tuning for 8-String Lap Steel Blues

Post by ElRay »

In a moment of "I've got to build something" tempered by looking at the pieces/parts I've accumulated over the years, I decided to build an 8-string Lap Steel guitar. Right now, the expectation is 85% dirty, raunchy blues, 10% Gilmour-esque and 5% Steve Howe-esque. The question is how to maximize the use of the two extra strings? Looking at the notes, I'm leaning towards a standard C6 tuning, but adding two lower strings. I'd have major, minor and one inverted (5th-root-3rd) on the lower strings, but not having played slide, I'm not sure what would be most useful.

Ray
Blindboy

Re: Tuning for 8-String Lap Steel Blues

Post by Blindboy »

Wow, that's a question that is far beyond my poor expertise. The only slide I play is bottleneck style on a six string, and I favor open G for bluesy stuff, and open D for more melodic things.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Like BB, I'm no help, 6 strings are more than enough to me. :big_smile:
But the scale generator http://12bar.de/php/scale_generator.php can handle up to 8 strings so you can print scale/chord sheets if you need. :wink:
ElRay

Post by ElRay »

12bar wrote:Like BB, I'm no help, 6 strings are more than enough to me. :big_smile:
But the scale generator http://12bar.de/php/scale_generator.php can handle up to 8 strings so you can print scale/chord sheets if you need. :wink:
Yup. I've started playing with that. That's how I caught the major/minor/inversion. I may have to just make a "best guess" and see what works.

Ray
fenson

Post by fenson »

You might find a bunch of usefull tips and tricks giving a listen to Warren Haynes educational DVD Blues and Slide Guitar lessons...
Hope this helps!

Welcome here by the way ;-)
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
ElRay

Post by ElRay »

Just a quick update. Reality got in the way of my plans. We'll have to play the rest of the summer by ear.

After doing some digging, I'm leaning towards a variation of C6 tuning. One I liked had a b7th as the lowest bass string (an Open C6/7). I'll have to see what I can add to reduce another slant.

Ray