I have to relearn

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
MichaelRobinson

I have to relearn

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hi

All the time I have used my picking hand and my pick wrong. I have to relearn. Here is a link to a good way of use of the picking hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPg6wWZgreU
VikingBlues

Re: I have to relearn

Post by VikingBlues »

The only danger with this is that if you pick (no pun intended) several different guitar teachers they will have several different methods for picking.

I just looked at a pick technique video at random there. This guy does not have his fingers curled inside his palm but has them sticking out and he often grounds his hand on the body of the guitar. He also admits to moving his hand around to much and thinks it's down to "tons of guitar teachers teaching him tons of different methods".

I'm happy at this point to be not using a pick! :big_smile:

But anyway - good luck with getting some improvements to your technique. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Throw your pick away and play it this way (the beginning piece):
TRHSnBG--Mo
:big_smile:

Seriously, nice tips but I wouldn't start to relearn. Everyone has different ergonomics, hands and motion.
MichaelRobinson

12bar wrote:Throw your pick away and play it this way (the beginning piece):
TRHSnBG--Mo
:big_smile:

Seriously, nice tips but I wouldn't start to relearn. Everyone has different ergonomics, hands and motion.
Habitual patterns can be changed. It's a habit you have and that is not static and is not expected to last a lifetime.

I have a very unusual style on my plectrumhand as crippling me. I tried a little to do as the guy in the video suggested. It seems to be healthy. I follow that advice whenever I can. It takes some time to relearn.

The classical style you point out to me is all the same crap I allready know.......... :haha:
MichaelRobinson

Well ............ I do like the guy in the video tells about the plectrum hand. I thought it would be harder to play that way. Without the support of the hand. But do not. With a little angle of the pick against the string does the trick. Minimal resistance and softer tone. Not having the support of the hand works well and I think I can be safer too. I stick to this technique.