What's HBL up to now

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
vancouverois

Re: What's HBL up to now

Post by vancouverois »

A good one, sounds very good. :thumbsup: :clap:
Very nice sound from the amp indeed.
So the Okko has to go?
Nothing can beat a good amp when you can use it at the required volume in order to have
good results, so much better than emulators.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good sounds indeed. Great when you can get that from your amps speakers with no pedals. More evidence, if needed, of the how classy an amp Cybie is. :cool:
vancouverois wrote:Nothing can beat a good amp when you can use it at the required volume in order to have
good results, so much better than emulators.
Absolutely! :thumbsup:

In passing HBL - do I recall you mentioning you'd upgraded speaker / valves in your SCXD? Wondering a bit on the speaker front - I seem to be getting better usable sounds when driven from line out than from the speakers. Though I can so rarely play through the speaker at enough volume it may well not be worth doing. :icon_whoknows: A lack of opportunity to use higher volumes seems to drive me towards needing an OD pedal or two. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys, I like the sound/tone a lot. But after listening again this morning... my timing sucks big time.
I for one know that you should keep a track unlistened to for a while before deciding to upload.

VB, The most important upgrade is the 12" speaker cabinet. I'm using an old eighties Celestion 70 Watts speaker (from the Kitty Hawk)
I did change the valve, but found some well written articles stating that in the Champs case it should not make a big difference changing the preamp tube. So the Mullard is still in there for now, but could get replaced again nu a J&J to test that statement.

Remember that a new speaker needs a good break in (time) before it starts to sound real good.
I don't play that loud onder normal circumstances. Sometime however........ WHAAAAAAAM The Champ tends to sound quite good while being used on low volume.
The stock 10"speaker sounds not to good in my opinion.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

What's HBL up to now..... :think: mhh :think: Nothing much actually.
Rehearsing a song I'm going to record together with my son and a friend of his. :music2: :music1: :lefty: Not sure if I will pickup the guitar, I just might do keyboards this time.

Beside that, fooling around with a chord sequence and the Jamman. (A,A7,D7,F7,A,B,E)
After playing some lead lines I found out it's about what I played on After Holliday jam.
Nothing to serious, Fun though, here it is :)

download/file.php?id=2599
Attachments

Slooow again.mp3 - (5.43 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That's 100% HBL as we like it! :dance:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Nothing to serious, Fun though, here it is :)
Fun to play - and fun to listen to as well. Your melodic touch is working just fine! :clap:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:VB, The most important upgrade is the 12" speaker cabinet. I'm using an old eighties Celestion 70 Watts speaker (from the Kitty Hawk)
I did change the valve, but found some well written articles stating that in the Champs case it should not make a big difference changing the preamp tube. So the Mullard is still in there for now, but could get replaced again nu a J&J to test that statement.

Remember that a new speaker needs a good break in (time) before it starts to sound real good.
I don't play that loud onder normal circumstances. Sometime however........ WHAAAAAAAM The Champ tends to sound quite good while being used on low volume.
The stock 10"speaker sounds not to good in my opinion.
I may end up considering a speaker change on the SCXD. :icon_whoknows:
I guess I must have similar feelings to you about the speaker as I have found that I'm usually using the line out to record if I'm cranking the sound at all.
At low volume and very clean I do like the speaker sound fine though. :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :)
VB, Grab some wood and build yourself a smal cabinet, large enough for a 12" speaker. the Champs combo has not enough room for a 12", it just won't fit.
Issue is that a 12" makes the difference you'ld want :)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Thanks guys :)
VB, Grab some wood and build yourself a smal cabinet, large enough for a 12" speaker.
Shame I don't live near Gerds fallen tree! :lol:

Point taken about the speaker size - thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Shame I don't live near Gerds fallen tree! :lol:
:motz: :cry:

You need a chain saw with 150 cm blade... :lol:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Riffs, Licks and runs, no Moore, rather less.
Or maybe : found a YT based BT, converted that to MP3 and fetched Josie, Cybie and Okko.
Just tasting the BT and the melodic posibilities.
Mhhh, need sustain, grain and grit. a bit of delay and reverb :wave: Hi, rVB :high5:

This is one of those... let's see what happens and if it's not to bad show the nice folks at 12bar I'm still here :wave:

download/file.php?id=2606
Attachments

State of riffs.mp3 - (4.56 MiB)

vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

A nice one, I really like the dynamic of the Okko when you pick hard the strings. :clap: :thumbsup:
It adds something to the piece.
Keep them coming!
Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Not that I understand that you can be as tone-safe ( I don't know if "tone safe" is English. I just don't find any English word for this ) and play so soft.
I do not know how you fix the chords. I mean, you have no dead notes in your chords, which I have and grieves me.
As usual, you get five points out of a possible five.................... :beer:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The master of tone... :pray:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Beautiful! :clap: :pray:

... and i'm not saying that because of the reverb. :lol:

Tone, phrasing and melodic note choice - done this well is a great combination. :drool: The Okko working well ... is it still on the danger list for being let go?
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks Chris, Michael, Gerd and rVB ( still not sure if your first name is known publicly here) was fun to pick up the guitar again.
I felt the track needed an other guitar :) one that could drive things a little more and add lots of sustain by it's own.

Didn't play the Avion this way (sample later on) for quite some time. For some reason I kept overbending the note for an hour of so and ditched all recordings (awful sounding stuff)
@ michael, pay attention now :) I got very annoyed with my playing, but being me I refused to give up and kept playing and recording. Fidling with the sound/tone.
I feel it's a bit sharp and bright. Still I thought "Ok, one last recording" So I did. :wall: Now I almost got the bends right, but lost track of the notes I wanted to play and screwed up my timing several times.

I like the overal sound and with later on a little tweaking it will be just fine. The playing sucks at places, but I managed to lift out a sample of a recording I call State of Blue oops.....
With thought in mind that it's not so bad to admid defeat sometimes I decided to post it here ( no not anywhere else, No way) and see what happens.

download/file.php?id=2608

Michael, it took me 30+ years to come where I'm at now and still get outplayed by youngsters with much more technical playing talent. Still, it's all about fun, pleasure and it's not a match or competition. So I'm fine with it. I did get on the brink of giving up playing a couple of times, once because my fingers hurt to much, but allways kept picking up and kept playing.
Attachments

State of Blue_oops.mp3 - (3.27 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Another very quick and dirty Velvet (Epi Dot) track. Based on the organ track a friend played for Blinded by the Blues
It's darn right a nasty job to try to play over such a track and keep your timing right... man :phew: Didn't work out to wel. :wink:

Epi -> Champ (overdriven blackface with lots of compression) -> Gmajor FX (Reverb, Echo and chorus) -> DAW

download/file.php?id=2640
Attachments

blinded Velvet act 2.mp3 - (3.39 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Singing tones! :drool:

And that's a bit more reverb than I usually hear you do - hope I'm not being a bad influence! :big_smile:

On the plus side if it's difficult for the player to keep the timing right it can also be tricky for the audience to hear how the timing is supposed to work. Very nice blend of guitar and organ sounds. If you can get this even better I'd love to hear the results.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Perfect to my ears... lots of Gilmour inside! :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Yes VB, it's all because of you, the rVB :) just kidding

Thanks guys, was fun to play this one