Had a rip-roaring jam on the five way stop corner tonight!

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
StratLover2

Had a rip-roaring jam on the five way stop corner tonight!

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

I had my weekly jam with my guitar teacher again, after he got back from Colorado where he was last week, on the five way corner again. Here was our setlist:

Summer Song (By Joe Satriani, a nice jam in A Mixolydian/Dorian
Stairway to Heaven (This was a shout out request from a passer by, Opportunity to do some nice lead accompaniment over the verse, nice jazzy sound and a long, epic improv solo!)
Rambling Man (Picked because I needed a break from all out frantic pace of Stairway and a nice breather for the next one)
Free Bird (This one, I was speed playing like I have never before. Barely recovered with the Ramblin Man as a break, I went pretty much all out on this one, and this was the last fast, rocking solo of the night, and I added some G major pentatonic double stop licks to break up the flowing minor pentatonic to give some variety)
Badge (I always enjoying playing this. I try and add some lead fills in the verse, ala Knopfler from his concerts. I like having the jazzy feeling. Then on the chorus, I enjoy fooling around with the major/minor, to make it sound more Claptonish, and yet more of my own each time. Quite a finicky song for me to do the major/minor changes.)
Runaround Sue (50's song, I let my guitar teacher take all the solos on this to give me a break. For once, I was grateful to play rhythm!)
Satisfaction (A rolling stones song that we stopped short when we found out that he didn't remember all the words, and plus, without words, a song with the chords E and A repeating over again is bound to get boring quick!)
Pretty Woman (A nice song, no solos from me or my guitar teacher. Gave me a nice breather, the first long one of the night)
Slow blues in A /Hendrix/Albert King/Clapton style) (This was a terrific song that gave me a chance to breath and slow my playing way down. It was really nice just to have some quick bits, but mostly slow.)
Smooth by Santana (This was fun, for the Latin rhythm and the A Phrygian/Dorian jamming that my guitar teacher and I did.
Viva La Vida (By Coldplay. I like doing lead fills in between the verses in A Mixolydian, and I added an occasional G# in there to make things interesting. Pretty much all major stuff though.)

And man, I am super tired. I got up at quarter to seven Pacific Standard time, and as I right this, it is nine thirty three pm, PST. It has been a long day! But ended with some terrific jamming, especially on Summer Song. I am so glad though that I got to do this. And the funny thing is, our end of the month jam is on the 30th this month, a certain famous guitarist's 67th birthday. That will be fun!

StratLover2
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Had a rip-roaring jam on the five way stop corner tonigh

Post by 12bar »

Sounds great! Did you record something?

Badge - I like this song a lot but I still don't get the arpeggios right, they sound much easier than they are...
StratLover2

Re: Had a rip-roaring jam on the five way stop corner tonigh

Post by StratLover2 »

My dad recorded a couple of videos, I will try and get it up soon! On Badge, it took me a while toe get the arpeggios right, and I am not sure that my guitar teacher has it down. It is confusing as I play it his way with him, and the correct way at home.