went to a blues jam

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
ratfinkdan

went to a blues jam

Post by ratfinkdan »

I haven't been out to a blues jam in over a year, the one I was going to for a while shut down a year or so ago. So my blues buddie/mentor told me about a new jam on sunday eve. Had a great time, I always like getting up there with my buddie cause he just plays blues no rock just good old Chacago style blues. We ended up with a really good drummer, bass player was ok a little stiff but ok, usually you only get a couple of tunes but we ended up playing a full set, good size crowd and lots of applauses after each tune! I felt really good about my playing, really felt like i was playing a lot better and more relaxed than i had at other jams, my wife even noticed that I was really holding my own up there and that I looked like I was supposed to be there. Its always great to get out there and play with other people and in front of people also, I think it pushes you to do better when your playing with better players, its so easy to get lazy when your just playing in your bedroom or house. Anyway had a great time, I definetly need to do that more often. Dan
choucas09

Re: went to a blues jam

Post by choucas09 »

Couldn't agree more. Not only do you improve within the playing situation when you have regular jam with good musicians, but it sharpens you up at home too. You make the extra effort because you've got another jam coming and you want to sharpen up and progress because now it matters more.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Cool!
I used to drive an hour and a half into Albuquerque at least twice a week to play the open mics... getting home at 3:00 in the morning, then going to work. :yikes: It was worth it to play with good jammers. I almost won't play at home by myself. 12bar and the GuitarPort my wife bought me are the only reason I play at home at all. Thank goodness I have the Trainwreck boys and our Monday nights.
How far is Renton from Seattle? I may be up there in July.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Blindboy wrote: How far is Renton from Seattle? I may be up there in July.
Renton is about 20 miles south of downtown Seattle, so not far. If you make it up here this summer maybe we could hookup for coffee or something, is it a bussiness trip or vacation? Dan
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Dan, if we make it, it will be for a wedding :roll: . It would be cool if we could hit an open mic or something. We may drive (my wife has a Mini Cooper... Mini on the coast highway :drool: ), and if so I should have a guitar and maybe an amp. We'll see...
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"