Greetings from Ohio

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
CannedHeat

Greetings from Ohio

Post by CannedHeat »

hello everyone new to the site here but been a huge fan of the blues for years. my parents raised me right :D

this site has helped me with soloing so much i figured I had to join!!!

my biggest blues influences are:
Lightning Hopkins
John Lee Hooker
Alan Wilson (blind owl)
Eric Clapton
Peter Green
Howlin Wolf
Albert King
Muddy Waters

also into a lot of other types of music, but blues is the real deal!

anyways figured id say hi to everyone glad i found this site!!!
-CannedHeat :beer:
“Existence is.. well.. what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future. The present is well out of hand.”
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Ohio

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to the forum!
I'm still on holiday with limited internet access, but I'll be back in August. :dance:
CannedHeat

Post by CannedHeat »

12bar wrote::welcome: to the forum!
I'm still on holiday with limited internet access, but I'll be back in August. :dance:
No problem, are you the one who makes the articles on the site? The scales and such are very helpful for a player like me who always thought I would be nothing more than a rhythm guitarist haha.

Now I just need to find a extra guitar to get better at slide guitar. My dream would be able to play No Expectations by the Stones. I love Brian's slide on that.

Anyways look forward to talkin' music with everyone here.

-CannedHeat
“Existence is.. well.. what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future. The present is well out of hand.”
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum. :D

I like your list of influences. Iconic names indeed and it's also made me realise there's a gap in my knowledge to be filled with needing to properly check out Alan Wilson (Blind Owl) and indeed Canned Heat too.

Good to know you've found the forum a help to your blues playing. See you around on the forum pages. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Post by fenson »

CannedHeat wrote:a player like me who always thought I would be nothing more than a rhythm guitarist haha.
Most of the time the Great Freddy Green was just comping? Please listen to this <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVwB7_CS6rk>, here is just soloing... He doesn't play single note but chords... starting around 4'40.
Think of that: soloing with double stops, you just build a triton chord above the note your bass player gives you as a foundation...
"Chords are everything" Robben Ford
"What can I do with such a beautiful chord" Eric Clapton (Listen EC comping while Dereck Truck or Doyle Bramhall are soloing...)
Just three examples... Just to not yet refer to Robert Johnson, don't remember having heard him playing single notes licks even when soloing :D

Learn how chords are made, it will help a lot to build your own voicing, really!
Kinda "Tip&Trick" start playing the well known pentatonic scale, then harmonize it (don't know how? Just ask :D it' free :D )
CannedHeat wrote:Now I just need to find a extra guitar to get better at slide guitar.
Warren Haynes did a great educational DVD: "Warren Haynes: Electric Blues & Slide Guitar".

Hope this helps :icon_whoknows:
Thanks for your kind words 'bout my last post, indeed :D ;-)

Cheers,
IF
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.