Welcome

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Welcome

Post by 12bar »

oneeyedslide wrote:Thanks 12bar! And btw your slide playing gives me goose bumps! WOW!! (good goose bumps of course)
MY SLIDE?!? :yikes: That ain't possible... :shy:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

oneeyedslide wrote: And Blindboy, where 'bouts is your digs in New Mexico? I'm in Fort Collins which is at the base of the eastern foothills 70 miles north of Denver and 40 miles south of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Was just reading about your last open jam. What a scene! Things can sure turn around sometimes. I've heard your Frankenstrat and I'm curious as to what's under the hood. Yours sounds great. My Squier sounds like a chain-smoking pit-bull in comparison!!
I am in the Jemez mountains, about 60 miles northwest of Santa Fe. Thirty some miles up in the mountains from Los Alamos, if you know where that is. If you are ever down this way, let me know, I'll show you the goods. :big_smile:
Thank you for the kind words about the Frankenstrat. :shy: It kind of evolved over a period of time back in '89 or so. It has a mid/late seventies body with the screw holes for the neck filled in and redrilled for four screws instead of three, an '83 Strat Elite neck, the stock '70s pickups and wiring, except for the bridge, which is a (maybe Schecter?) stacked humbucker, a brass pickguard and knobs, and a floating tremelo that I decommisioned. The red paint job is automotive paint, a buddy of mine had a body shop, and let me use his paint room and stuff. I think part of the reason it sounds ok is that I am real used to it.
By the way, I,too have had a dance with CTS. My outcome (so far) was not as drastic as yours, but I sympathise. I also had similar reasons for learning slide... Some years ago, I managed to hit my fretting hand ring finger with a framing hammer hard enough to shatter the bone at the very tip. :yikes: I couldn't touch a guitar string for five months, but I could squeeze a slide over it. As long as we can keep playing, eh.... :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
ringtone

Post by ringtone »

Hi

Just joined. What a great resource for learners!

Found this by looking for Before You Accuse Me which I'm learning.

I've thought about why i took up guitar - my tutor asked me too - and I think its because I love it and because its cheap relaxation. I plug in after work and hit some punk power chords thru Marscha and stress goes away!

As for blues, well I happened to buy a Blues CD/DVD combo thing on a whim and it grabbed me. ALL of it.... The BB King (Thrill Is Gone) performance at his home town summer gig (3am?) in particular is stellar. Lucille sounds beautifully on limit and so does the Strat from Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
"Ten Days Out" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Days_Ou ... _Backroads
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: ringtone
ringtone wrote:I think its because I love it and because its cheap relaxation ....... and stress goes away!
Very, very true - wekk the relaxation bit anyway - a few GAS attacks and it's not as cheap! :wall:

I find playing for half an hour before going to work takes the edge off too. :thumbsup:
ringtone wrote:As for blues, well I happened to buy a Blues CD/DVD combo thing on a whim and it grabbed me. ALL of it....
Funny how it does that - took about 40 years from when I started playing before it happened to me (maybe I'm a slow learner). :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: ringtone! (I already was going to the admin area to ban cause of your nickname - then I read you post.... :lol: )

Keep on playing and relaxing! :music1:
ringtone

Post by ringtone »

Thx for the welcomes. The more threads I see here, the more i like it.

As for ringtones, I have a rock classic currently on my phone. To think of the performer's angst, the life energy gone into a song -and the memories associated with it, the soul that lives in it... and it ends up as a commercial jingle or a 10second ringtone heard on a street corner amongst conversations and traffic noises... oh well.