Welcome

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Welcome

Post by 12bar »

No post is lost - we've just flipped over to a new and hopefully better software. The old posts are still at http://12bar.de/forum/

Maybe someday I have the time to import them all...
Jim

Post by Jim »

cruisemates wrote:12-bar...

I am really sorry to see you lost all the old posts. I used to use phpBB and I am pretty sure you could have kept them all. Starting over is REALLY hard to do.

And by the way - lost a LONG post I wrote because I hot the "svae" button instead of submit. The submit button should be more predominate in my opinion, and on the left.
And "Saved" posts CAN be retrieved!!! :chicken: :dance: :banana: :snacks: :yikes: :beer:
:away:

Jim
My driving philosophy about making music is that you can reduce it all down to one note if that note is played with the right kind of sincerity.
- Eric Clapton, interview 1974

James V. Signorile, ASCAP
(Court Jester)
http://jamessignorile.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

My problem (well, ONE of them... :D ) is that my user name has a friggn' SPACE {''} at the end, and it won't let me get away without using it I (IF I have to log back in).

I'm an IDIOT!!!!! : :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: (no agreements with that statment necessary!! :haha: )

Jim[SPACE]

(so I guess I'm officially SPACED OUT!! :mercy: :cool: :rofl: :lol: :big_smile:

:away:
My driving philosophy about making music is that you can reduce it all down to one note if that note is played with the right kind of sincerity.

(Court Jester)
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

WHY is everyone bar Neil and myself, obsessed with their 'mail count'. Who cares how many you've sent? Is it a competition? In that case this should be the subject of our first poll!! If it's that much of a thing, you can always check in the archives. :mercy: :haha: :whistle:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Jim wrote:My problem (well, ONE of them... :D ) is that my user name has a friggn' SPACE {''} at the end, and it won't let me get away without using it I (IF I have to log back in).
Go to the user control panel and change your username... :alright:
Jim

Post by Jim »

12bar wrote:
Jim wrote:My problem (well, ONE of them... :D ) is that my user name has a friggn' SPACE {''} at the end, and it won't let me get away without using it I (IF I have to log back in).
Go to the user control panel and change your username... :alright:
Gerd, I think I may be to stupid to to that... :baby: :tongue: :snacks: :oldie: :yawn: :drool: :eye_rub: :easter2: :icon_whoknows:

Don't mind me, it was just a lousy night (started out great, but last part SU*KED!! :wall: ) Had a WONDERFUL time at a jam and got to play LOTS of Blues and improvise solos (which puts me in a... well it's really a dream kind of state now - mostly my eyes are closed and the world goes away EXCEPT for the sound of the music and the magical world of creating a melody to music I've never heard before, and it's just my favorite place to be now .. another dimension all together!)... and I made the MISTAKE of bringing "the one who must be obeyed" and ALL she talked about once we got home was why did I have to make "funny faces" while I was playing and do things with my lips that didn't make me look "normal" (whatever the heck that is) and for ONCE couldn't I try and be "normal" like all the other people (HUH - the people I hang with are most certainly NOT normal in the least -which is WONDERFUL! "normal" is SO boring ... it's almost death to me.. my parents always wanted me to be "normal" to and luckily they gave up and accepted me as I am, and as I MUST BE to not shrivel up and blow away) and now she went to bed at her normal "corporate early to be so she can wake-up at 5 AM to get to the office on time" time (which usually is 9 PM on the dot - but OMG! we didn't get done with the Jam until 10 PM tonight.. OH NO!! :yikes: :thumbsdown: :cry: that's not when NORMAL people come home and get to bed - EVEN THOUGH SHE DOESN'T ACTUALLY HAVE TO GET UP AND GO TO WORK TOMORROW [at the US Census - thank God that "job" will be over by Sept at the latest.. it's totally changed her as she got promoted to be a "supervisor" and now acts that way even at home.. :sad: :cry: :angry: :wall: ) so I'm just sitting here steaming, the evening's joy evaporated in a minute and feeling like CR*P now). She is NOT invited to ANY future jams!!! I think I may just leave my username that way with the space to remind me of this, so I never forget.

BTW - Gerd and Hans ... THANK YOU both so VERY much for you kind comments on the old (well to me it's HOME!) forum for the songs the first "meetup.com" group I was with did, dedicated to MAC. I didn't realized the forum software was going to change that soon, and so I didn't get any emails and I so I thought no one replied to them, which made me kinda sad... :tears: :tears: But I went back and looked and you great guys had replied after all (and maybe there were others I missed as I only had a quick look - thank you to ANYONE who commented!) - THANK YOU! :)

BTW - (I had my little digital recorder going the whole jam, that's the one that can record 10 hours on a charge, so I had it on every day at work, but it's also the one that no matter how far from he stage I was recorded concerts CLIPPED TO THE MAX (and no control over the recording volume - only playback volume, to I put it in my pocket with the mic facing away from the group.. and as soon as I get the files off it (has to be done on the PC - YUK!), I will let you know if the recordings came out and I'll post whatever I have if they are not a clipped out mess! :wall:

Jim

(Court Jester)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Bluesmole wrote:WHY is everyone bar Neil and myself, obsessed with their 'mail count'. Who cares how many you've sent? Is it a competition? In that case this should be the subject of our first poll!! If it's that much of a thing, you can always check in the archives. :mercy: :haha: :whistle:
Yup, one could, It's just a matter of getting the numbers straight. I happen to lke to have them set right. (Gerd must hate me by now :haha: )
For those who care, just fine :)
For those who don't care, just fine to.
Nothing to start anything :motz: about. We had enough of that lately.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Hey HBL! We need a 'Tongue in Cheek' Smilie, so that I can use it when not being serious!!
Hope that Carpol Tunnel thing is improving by the way. I love your "will be assimmilated" bit !! :big_smile:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Don't worry about it, I'm just being cautious.
Mhh the CTS... my left hand fingers don't go numb anymore, but the palm of my hand sure knows how to hurt, even after almost 3 months.
No surgery for my right hand as long as I can handle.

He, he Star trek Blues ;)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Jim wrote:She is NOT invited to ANY future jams!!! I think I may just leave my username that way with the space to remind me of this, so I never forget.
If you want I can do this - when things have calmed down a bit. Strange faces - yes, that's something non-musicians often don't understand. Look at EC while with Cream... it's natural. I wouldn't think too much about other people's (especially this special one) comments.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks Gerd!

I am calmed down now ... but it was just so... obviously from someone (yes, special) that has no REAL experience with musicians or creative people and they only look at the external stuff and don't pay attention (listen in this case) to the internal - the MUSIC in this case.... obviously that was not something she was paying any attention to - just looking at people's external appearance which really bothered me, so why should she bother coming if she's not listening,

I know she only really likes country music, which I don't normally like except for some exceptions where it's not all "whoa is me..." (without the genuine intensity and honesty that we find in the Blues - at least IMO). Don't get me wrong - there IS some really good Country music - just not the kind she likes to listen to. I guess to me, that kind of country music is sort of like talking about many of the same subjects as the Blues, but without the true emotional rawness that makes Blues so enticing and wonderful. Like cleansed Blues, sanitized Blues, empty Blues. NORMALized Blues for people that don't want to be out of the main stream, and it doesn't make you have to think or cry the way good Blues does. It's playing music that makes people feel happy or "satisfied" without making them have to think too deeply about the subject matter. And they can still maintain the normality of good bible-belt Amerikans. She does like Bluegrass instrumental music, which I do to, but I've never been any good at playing REAL bluegrass.

SORRY - because I know there are a lot more people (overall - probably not on this forum, but I'm sure there are some) who probably like country music more than Blues and I'm sure there are a good number of people here who like country music a lot -- and I mean NO insult to them ... Heck, I also don't particularly enjoy jazz - I'm not talking about the "color" that jazz influences can have on other music, such as Blues, but that PURE Jazz that to ME (maybe only me) feels like an intellectual exercise that sounds interesting and is very hard to play and takes mucho talent, but lacks (IMO) emotion. The more "intellectual" feeling the Jazz has, the less emotions I feel from it, and it tends to put me out to zzzz-land. Lots of incredibly complex chords just doesn't do much for me... as with 12 tone (serial) classical music of much of the 20th century (and it's still being churned out - often by computer programs generating random notes... no thanks!)

I guess the bottom line is unless a genre of music has the ability to, and actually HAS at some point, brought me to tears or inexplicable joy (as Blues and really good classical - such as Beethoven's - music can do) then I really can't get into it deeply.

OR,I love it if it's at the other extreme and has a joy of sorts in it that is hard to find in life without it. I know that Dead fans are probably in a minority compared to other kinds of music lovers - but their music could evoke just unrestrained happiness (USA Blues, Uncle John's Band, Playing in the Band, Sugar Magnolia, China Cat Sunflower, Not fade away, I know you Rider, Jack Straw, Bertha, Going down the road feeling bad (which makes me feel GOOD) - those are just some songs that come to mind), or, they could also get to the deep retrospective parts of me - as in the way they do "Morning Dew" (one of my all time favorites) or into music that, well as is said, it's not just that the Dead do it best, it's just that ONLY the Dead do it…. such as "Morning Star" and some of the super-extended mind bending jams they'd go off on and then at some point when you're in a trance.. they suddenly come back together in a real SONG (I don't know how they do it -- CREAM could do that do, but even THEY claimed not to really know HOW they did it sometimes, it JUST HAPPENED). But very few bands have been able to do that to that extreme and I love that stuff.

ALL of this is purely IMHO!!! so don't take it ANY other way - Please!!!

Jim

(Court Jester)
Jim

Post by Jim »

BTW, I did record the whole "acoustic" jam I was at last night - which was TOTALLY different from the last one, all different musicians (except one guy playing slide on a dobro and me) than last time, and completely different music. LOTS OF BLUES!! And there were a few guys there who liked to do the rhythm and vocals and would just start up playing (some of them had obviously played together before quite a bit) so I was free to improvise solos most of the night, which was just wonderful, and I got compliments on it from some of the head Blues guys who were starting the songs, which was nice since I haven't played Blues LIVE with other people in a long time! I did a couple of folk songs - just because that's what we did mostly last time so I figured That was WHAT they did there… but then I just let the other guys go with all the cool Blues and some really good original songs and some really oldies that are probably from the 40's-50's or so but were cool to play to! It was great- I will put up some of the songs (recorded OK this time!) and a couple of photos someone else took. OH, and there were several Dead songs done too, which is what got me into the Dead up above! :)

So, that's why I came home feeling great, but as soon as the only subject was facial expressions without a mention of the music… well, what would that do to YOU?? :icon_whoknows:

Jim

(Court Jester)
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi 12 bar and mods ..............Just a comment on the new format

In general I like it very much .it all appears cleaner and more 'modern' and the typeface is very neat and easily readable

If I could change one thing it would be the size or boldness of the posters name in each post

in the old format the name of the poster appeared prominently at the top of the new post on the left hand side and above the avatur... it was very obvious and you didn't have to look too hard .plus it was over the posters (smaller) avatur.

in the new format the name of the poster appears on the left but under a much larger thread title
RE:- This ,That and the Other
Posters name :- Joe Bloggs

I find it quite difficult to see , at a glance, who is posting what

to be honest I don't find the repeated name of the thread at all helpful, it grabs the attention and probably just gets in the way a bit .......I sort of know what thread I opened , but I do want to see who the poster is

I know it also appears on the right ... but again its small

I know ....Stronger glasses :cool: .larger screen Maybe ??
Its not a big deal ...just a comment

helpful is the intent !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Welcome plus more

Post by 12bar »

It's not only the thread title - you can change it so your post has a better title than just "Re: this is the title". But most posters including me don't use that (yet).

I've increased the username size a bit. Better? We can modify as much as we want...

BTW - there's a font enlarger at the right top of the board. :wink:
Strummer07

You are on the ball today 12 bar !!

Post by Strummer07 »

Blimey 12 bar .you are 'on it' today :thumbsup:
That looks a lot better to me as the postername is slightly larger than the thread topic size ...works for mr !! lets see what others say/ think

So what your saying is that the poster can actually amend the heading of his /her post so it appears with a sub topic heading or something like
"I don't agree with this thread at all !! kinda thing
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Ebm

Post by Ebm »

Hello again. :big_smile:

Looks like a nice site here. Some things to figure out (for me)
Like how the new "Blues Room" works.

With this chronic pain - I'll be dropping in (on my good days), and out (on my bad days), from time to time. As I find some ways to deal with it (I hope).
But I just had to say - Nice Site you got here!! :thumbsup:

I wish you all the success with this new site. :thumbsup:
Reverend

Post by Reverend »

I Have just joined and looks good to me :cool:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: on board!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Howdy Reverend. Welcome to the forum. :big_smile:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: Reverend - hope you enjoy the forum. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!